The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How did everyone find it? I thought it was a pretty decent paper overall!

What did people have for the oxidation states of Mn and I? Also what did you put for the reducing agent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It wasn't too bad, how did everyone do? 7 mark question confused me a bit - what did you get for that? And somehow the last question I felt as if was copying out of the sheet but I don't know :/ but overall it wasn't that bad.
Original post by 7jdrabble
How did everyone find it? I thought it was a pretty decent paper overall!

What did people have for the oxidation states of Mn and I? Also what did you put for the reducing agent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxidation before reaction I put:
Mn = +4
I = -1

Oxidation after reaction I put:
Mn = +2
I = 0

reducing agent were the iodide ions because the oxidation number increased from -1 to 0. I don't know if that's right though. What did you put for the 7 marker about the intermolecular bonds?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I personally didn't like the exam, I know that most of my class were very upset afterwards. I made a lot of mistakes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm wouldn't say it was easy at all...also found the last q hard but I think I ended up doing ok in the one
And quite a few in the middle I had to end up guessing :s-smilie:
I actually thought that was quite easy compared to other past papers, hope it went well for everyone else. Messed up the spectroscopy one by putting ethanone instead of ethanal grrr. For the 7 marker it was hydrogen bonds and VDW's right?
Finally a nice paper! Could answer everything, but it's all about the wording at the end of the day...
Did anyone put ethanoic acid for the IR spectrum shown?
Reply 9
Original post by minibuttons

I did i swear it is ethanoic acid and some people put etahnone
Original post by sammy0201

Does ethanone exist? Plus ethanol is a primary alcohol right so how can that make ethanone because ketones are produced from secondary alcohols.
what did you put for the natural destruction and formation ozone?
The correct answer for the spectroscopy one would have been ethanal I thinl, as there were no OH markers on the spectrum so can't have been a carboxylic acid. I stupidly put ethanone :frown: Did people put hydrogen bonds and VDW for the 7 marker?
Does ethanone exist? Plus ethanol is a primary alcohol right so how can that make ethanone because ketones are produced from secondary alcohols.

Original post by HappyHumanist
The correct answer for the spectroscopy one would have been ethanal I thinl, as there were no OH markers on the spectrum so can't have been a carboxylic acid. I stupidly put ethanone :frown: Did people put hydrogen bonds and VDW for the 7 marker?

I thought for OH in carboxylic acids the range is 2500-3200 cm^-1 and there was a peak around 3000. Oh no :/
Yeh I put hydrogen bonds for propanone and ethanol. I was confused for the second one and put permanent dipole-permanent dipole for some reason - I know I got it wrong though.
(edited 9 years ago)

i think i meant they put ethanal but for formation and destruction of ozone i put oxygen radicals destroy ozone and they can create it as well if oxygen reacts with an oxygen radical
I thought for OH in carboxylic acids the range is 2500-3200 cm^-1 and there was a peak around 3000. Oh no :/
Yeh I put hydrogen bonds for propanone and ethanol. I was confused for the second one and put permanent dipole-permanent dipole for some reason - I know I got it wrong though.

your right it is 2500-3200
I put Permanent dipole-Permanent dipole for the 1st one and Instantaneous dipole - induced for the second :/
i think i meant they put ethanal but for formation and destruction of ozone i put oxygen radicals destroy ozone and they can create it as well if oxygen reacts with an oxygen radical

That's what I put too for the ozone questions. I didn't know how describe much of it so I just put equations down for formation bit.
What did you get for the % purity of iodine? I think I calculated my value wrong though... I can't remember exactly what I put but I think I got it to be between 70%-80%
(edited 9 years ago)
That's what I put too for the ozone questions. I didn't know how describe much of it so I just put equations down for formation bit.
What did you get for the % purity of iodine? I think I calculated my value wrong though...

cant remember 39 i think
I got 39% for the purity question and ethanoi acid for the infrared spectra.
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone else get 63% for iodine?
For the 7 marker I got Hydrogen Bonds for the first and Instantaneous Dipole-Induced Dipole for the second.
The IR spectrum was ethanal wasn't it?

Latest