The Student Room Group

Paralegal or travel or both

I'm in the middle of planning a year out between my degree and the LPC (I want to be a solicitor). I've just been offered the chance to paralegal for a year in personal injury (the job is at the right law firm for me but in the wrong field of law). I have also been offered the chance to volunteer at a law centre in a developing country for 3 months, I won't get paid for my time but they will cover all my expenses including flights. The paralegal job starts right away however I wouldn't go traveling for 3 months. It was made clear to me at the paralegal interview that my leaving the firm after only 3 months wouldn't be ok. I'd love to expand my horizons but much as I hate to admit it I probably want a TC more. I would also like to save to offset the cost of the LPC. Should I take the job and stick with it, do the honest thing turn down the job sign on then travel or should I start the job then leave after 3 months.
This is a tough one. Mainly because you've said that it's the "right firm for you". Is it S&G by chance?

Do not risk upsetting the firm by starting for three months and then leaving. It will take that longer (and then some) to get you up to speed, and the firm will not appreciate your drain on their resources.

It's a straight choice between the travel or the paralegal role. If you're purely thinking of your career then ask yourself this: do you have enough life experience to make yourself interesting and worthy of interview? If yes, skip the travel and become a paralegal for a year. If not, you probably should do the travel thing.
If you're also thinking of yourself (perfectly reasonable), then ask whether you'll kick yourself that you've missed out on the opportunity to do something awesome. That opportunity may never come up again.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Unless you are the type of candidate that firms fall over themselves for, I would personally not pass up the opportunity to do the paralegal job at the firm. Because if you do it and they like you, they are much more likely to give you a TC. Don't you think?

Can you not paralegal for six months or even nine months and then do the overseas experience? Why not ask the overseas experience whether they can be flexible?

Also, if you get a TC it won't start right away - why not do the volunteering thing after you get the TC?

If you want to do the overseas thing, then you will be losing a chance to make an impression on the firm you want to get into. If you are OK with that, then go overseas. If not, then do the paralegal thing.

I really would suggest you don't take the para job and throw it in after three months contra to what they have clearly asked you not to do at a firm you want to get into!!
Reply 4
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the previous poster for two reasons:

1) The overseas volunteering at a law center sounds like a really genuinely interesting life opportunity that will benefit you and your career prospects. It sounds fairly original and will speak volumes for your character. Having worked overseas myself I know first hand how invaluable the experiences can be when applying for TCs.

2) I'd exercise caution in viewing getting a paralegal job as a 'safe option'. In my experience a lot of paralegals have a terrible time trying to win TCs (though of course it does happen). They have to go through the same recruitment process as all external candidates but often more is expected of them because it is taken for granted they will know a lot about the firm.

The main problem with 'paralegalling your way to a TC' of course is that so many people are trying to do it and, as a result, its very hard to make yourself stand out from the crowd.

Trust me, if you go for the volunteering option you'll thank yourself every time you fill in a TC application form. In questions that ask for examples of teamwork etc. you'll be scoring points galore writing about your interesting experiences overseas.

On a side note, once you're on the career ladder it's very hard to get these kind of life opportunities again. My advice is take it now. If law firms are already interested in hiring you as a paralegal now they're certainly not going to be any less interested when you come back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending