The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE English Language-Information and Ideas

How did everybody find it?

Scroll to see replies

Loved it! I did question 5, not 4...

Only bad one was question 3 on tone, I ran out of time, and I wanted to give myself exactly an hour on each section...

I thought it was great!
Original post by victoria.98
Loved it! I did question 5, not 4...

Only bad one was question 3 on tone, I ran out of time, and I wanted to give myself exactly an hour on each section...

I thought it was great!

Ah glad you found it so good! I also did question 5, and found 3 the hardest, especially with writing about the tone whilst linking it to the question! Personally, I found the paper quite hard, compared to past papers I've done, but it could have been a lot worse in my opinion!
Hmmm I was alright with qs 1-3 but I loved question 5 so much!
Reply 4
The questions were okay but I hated the texts and found them really hard to analyse. Our teacher taught us this way to write the introduction called PATTS (purpose, about, tone, target audience, style) which only really works when you're writing about an article so it stumped me when the Steven Fry extract came up. I'm so glad it's all over though and I wrote a lot so I might just scrape an A maybe
Original post by the-black-lotus
Hmmm I was alright with qs 1-3 but I loved question 5 so much!

yeah I thought question 5 was good because it was a very broad question and there were lots of ways that you could present it, rather than a set form like a letter or a speech
Original post by 09eharpe
The questions were okay but I hated the texts and found them really hard to analyse. Our teacher taught us this way to write the introduction called PATTS (purpose, about, tone, target audience, style) which only really works when you're writing about an article so it stumped me when the Steven Fry extract came up. I'm so glad it's all over though and I wrote a lot so I might just scrape an A maybe

Yeah I found that one really difficult, especially to analyse tone! I'm sure you'll have done great anyway, you sound like you understood it more than me! I completely forgot about the audience bit...
It's the first time I've ever walked out of an English exam feeling pretty confident about how I answered :biggrin: I did Question 5 for the writing section - 2 1/3 pages of small writing on how we need to change for an equal society in the future :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zoe_macpherson
yeah I thought question 5 was good because it was a very broad question and there were lots of ways that you could present it, rather than a set form like a letter or a speech

Yep there were a wide range of options for what you could talk about
Original post by GreenPlum
It's the first time I've ever walked out of an English exam feeling pretty confident about how I answered :biggrin: I did Question 5 for the writing section - 2 1/3 pages of small writing on how we need to change for an equal society in the future :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's great that you felt confident about it! You wrote more than me and my handwriting isn't even small! And it sounds like what you wrote was better quality too:smile:
For qu. 5 I wrote 4 pages about Napoleon, Hitler, the Renaissance, UKIP and Cicero. No idea if I was on the right lines though the examiner should have a laugh reading it oops....
Original post by empressbethie
For qu. 5 I wrote 4 pages about Napoleon, Hitler, the Renaissance, UKIP and Cicero. No idea if I was on the right lines though the examiner should have a laugh reading it oops....

yeah that's the kind of approach I took, there was a lot of 'how would you like it if this happened again and to you' in my answer!
Reply 12
I also did question 5, however mine was quite a broad and personal approach as i didnt focus on a particular topic but talked about rather how although we should learn from our past for the future, we dont - it did say to write your own opinions so…

Does it seem along the right lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ezgi_18
I also did question 5, however mine was quite a broad and personal approach as i didnt focus on a particular topic but talked about rather how although we should learn from our past for the future, we dont - it did say to write your own opinions so…

Does it seem along the right lines?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think that sounds great:smile: it didn't say how to write it or what to include so I'm guessing that, within reason, anything goes:smile:
Reply 14
For Q5, I continued the 'green' theme and talked about carbon emissions, recycling and the like, how in the past we have done a lot of damage to the environment and it must not continue.

Yes, looking back Q3 was hard in terms of naming actual techniques, but one good bit in there was 'I went on a petroleum burning ferry' which was a sort of irony.
Original post by bj1
For Q5, I continued the 'green' theme and talked about carbon emissions, recycling and the like, how in the past we have done a lot of damage to the environment and it must not continue.

Yes, looking back Q3 was hard in terms of naming actual techniques, but one good bit in there was 'I went on a petroleum burning ferry' which was a sort of irony.

yeah i did the same regarding question 3! irony and a ton of indifference (is that even a real thing?) I went for that bit, and I think I also looked at the negativity in words such as 'grisly'
Oh in 5 I went for a wide range of ideas... the movement of the human race from the stone age to the modern day, the Holocaust, WW1, feminism...
Original post by the-black-lotus
Oh in 5 I went for a wide range of ideas... the movement of the human race from the stone age to the modern day, the Holocaust, WW1, feminism...

sounds good! I went down the same kind of route...if we don't learn from our past it will repeat itself...that kind of thing
I also did question 5 however took a slightly different and worrying approach, as i presented it in a fictional way of a story and how my parents left me because of my shameful past! i was wondering if you guys think that this comes across as ambitious or a misunderstanding of the task resulting in band 4/5? :/
Original post by englishlang2
I also did question 5 however took a slightly different and worrying approach, as i presented it in a fictional way of a story and how my parents left me because of my shameful past! i was wondering if you guys think that this comes across as ambitious or a misunderstanding of the task resulting in band 4/5? :/

I wouldn't worry, I know a few of my friends did it that, I don't think they'll be too worried about how you did it, because they didn't state how to approach it in the initial question, I think that they are probably looking more for the quality of what you wrote:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest