The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Twenty First Century Additional Science

Biology (B4, B5, B6) is coming up on the 6th of June and then chemistry and physics after that. Just wondering if everyone is ready? How are you revising?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ThatSociopath
Biology (B4, B5, B6) is coming up on the 6th of June and then chemistry and physics after that. Just wondering if everyone is ready? How are you revising?

Ack. So much science which I haven't visited properly yet! I believe that the CGP books don't actually cover everything too - oxygen debt, molecules which make up DNA backbone and some other stuff was missing unfortunately.

Went through my Biology already.. need to revise it the night before though just as a reminder. Still need to cover Chemistry and Physics:K: Going on BBC bitesize gcse, Sam learning and the cgp then making some notes on the harder stuff and making posters works well for me. :biggrin:
Original post by ColeNate
Ack. So much science which I haven't visited properly yet! I believe that the CGP books don't actually cover everything too - oxygen debt, molecules which make up DNA backbone and some other stuff was missing unfortunately.

Oh gosh well that's bad news because that's all I've been using recently
Original post by dominika98
Went through my Biology already.. need to revise it the night before though just as a reminder. Still need to cover Chemistry and Physics:K: Going on BBC bitesize gcse, Sam learning and the cgp then making some notes on the harder stuff and making posters works well for me. :biggrin:

Looks like you've made a good start on that, I'm feeling a bit more confident after looking through my notes. Dreading Physics though. Might look at that Sam learning thing later on. Thanks.
Looks like you've made a good start on that, I'm feeling a bit more confident after looking through my notes. Dreading Physics though. Might look at that Sam learning thing later on. Thanks.

Hate Physics too.. it's a killer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've made notes for all of them. I'm doing more physics revision right now by going over the spec and highlighting what I need to work on as well as noting (in more detail) what I already know from the spec. Biology is also going good, I'm going to spend some of my Thursday doing past papers and spec stuff..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh gosh well that's bad news because that's all I've been using recently

Same! Please don't tell me I'll have to go through that awful textbook..

..and now I'm going to have to check the bio spec just in case lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Same! Please don't tell me I'll have to go through that awful textbook..

..and now I'm going to have to check the bio spec just in case lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you let me know, once you check :smile:
Reply 9
Anyone have any idea's about the possible six markers for any of the Biology additional. Im quite worried B4 is rather straight forward but im a bit stuck on the other two. Any good revision sites ive been using bbc bitesize but im not sure if my CGP book covers all of the modules.
Original post by Amber311
Anyone have any idea's about the possible six markers for any of the Biology additional. Im quite worried B4 is rather straight forward but im a bit stuck on the other two. Any good revision sites ive been using bbc bitesize but im not sure if my CGP book covers all of the modules.

Mhmm.. okay, I'll try and make a little list of possibilities.

B4 Six Markers:

Comparing parts of plant/animal cell, what they do, how they help respiration.
Explaining how enzymes work + analysing/explaining data? How pH/temperature affects? Graphs?
Comparing aerobic and anerobic respiration and the advantages/disadvantages?
Comparing uses of fermentation. (Biogas/Bread/Alcohol). Maybe some explanation.
Explaining rate of photosynthesis, limiting factors, etc + analysing/explaining data.
Taking a transect/using a quadrat/light meter/ identification key.
The differences between diffusion/osmosis/active transport. Perhaps analysing/evaulating data? (I HOPE THIS ONE ISN'T USED! ><)
Comparing respiration between human cells/plant cells/bacteria cells.

B5 Six Markers:

Explaining how proteins are made by ribosomes.
Comparing Meiosis and Mitosis.
Comparing Adult Stem Cells and Embryonic Stem Cells + ethics?
Explaining how to clone using stem cells.
Explaining how to clone plants. (Cuttings, meristems, rooting powder, etc).
Explaining Phototropism and Auxins + analysing/explaining data?

B6 Six Markers:

Comparing CNS and PNS. Maybe just explaining either?
Explaining how the CNS coordinates a response with a given scenario (like, a bird sees a cat).
Explaining Synapses + why impulses can only go one way.
Explaining the reflex arc with a given scenario. (Sarah's leg still reacts when the doctor hits it with a hammer).
Explaining simple relflexes with different examples. (Sea anemones wave their tentacles when stimulated by pray's chemicals, molluscs close their shells, human eye contracting with increased light, etc, etc,).
Explaining Pavlov's dogs/conditioned reflexes.
Comparing brain development between child and adult + explain. Possibly explaining data. Maybe even comparing normal and feral children.
Different ways to study the brain + ethical issues.
Explaining how memory works + model.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks that was really helpful! I've been doing past paper and getting around 37 to 40 which is an a/a* but some of my teachers told me this year they're planning in raising Boundries higher anyone else hear that?
Original post by Amber311
Thanks that was really helpful! I've been doing past paper and getting around 37 to 40 which is an a/a* but some of my teachers told me this year they're planning in raising Boundries higher anyone else hear that?

Just finished the exam and looks like you're right, the grade boundaries will definitely be raised the majority of people in my school found it easy
i didnt find it easy, neither was it hard! i messed up on the concentration of auxin question and the tick boxes questions through me off. I hope i still get an a* though!
Reply 14
Posted from TSR Mobile

The 6 markers about protein synthesis, pH and the reflex arc were lovely and straight forward! I didn't like the ticky box questions especially not the one about water vapour!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KJC79
Posted from TSR Mobile

I had no problem with all three 6 makers but, I found the tick the boxes questions difficult

Yeah, that's true some of those tick boxes were difficult. Here's to hoping the 6 markers will make up for the lost marks
I didnt understand the auxin one either

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know the things to know but the questions are never straight forward,
like in biology the rolled up leaf, we've done about that but not specifically rolled up leaves
i need help
:frown:
Well that chemistry exam was fun(!). Come on physics do your worst, let's get this over with
i think tomorrows paper is gonna be harder than the other two

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending