Burridge
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I've got my theory test tomorrow ... I should be fine on the theory questions but the hazard perception I'm a little worried about.

I've done a few mock tests and a couple of online tests, and I'm doing fairly OK. I've passed all three mock tests but with scores of like 35-40/50; not by any decent or safe margin. Sounds silly, but what do you think I'm doing wrong?

The problem I have is that I think sometimes I click too early and unnecessarily - e.g I tend to click whenever I see a pedestrian on the pavement (it is a hazard after all), or a better example is when I see a roadworks truck up ahead, I click as soon as I notice the truck - is this right? Or is this too early? If I'm right, there your score decreases with time - and there is only a couple of second difference between a score of 5 and a score of 1; so should I only click when I know/anticipate the hazard to actually put me in danger? If so, how many times? Should I click a few times as the hazard changes (e.g as I overtake a roadwork truck, should I click again if I see a car coming towards me in the other lane?)?

Should I be clicking whenever I see a potential hazard or am I only clicking when the hazard obstructs me (makes me slow down or change direction?). It's quite confusing. Say, for example, I'm driving down a long narrow country lane and notice a cyclist up ahead (but the road is long and it's going to be a good 10 seconds before I actually reach the cyclists), should I click as soon as a see the cyclist, or only when I get close enough to when I have to slow down (or overtake)?

Any other tips?

Cheers!
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Burridge)
Hi, I've got my theory test tomorrow ... I should be fine on the theory questions but the hazard perception I'm a little worried about.

Should I be clicking whenever I see a potential hazard or am I only clicking when the hazard obstructs me (makes me slow down or change direction?). It's quite confusing. Say, for example, I'm driving down a long narrow country lane and notice a cyclist up ahead (but the road is long and it's going to be a good 10 seconds before I actually reach the cyclists), should I click as soon as a see the cyclist, or only when I get close enough to when I have to slow down (or overtake)?

Any other tips?

Cheers!
How was your theory yuesterday? Sorry no-one replied beforehand.

You should be clicking when you first see the hazard and then again when it starts progressing. You can click a lot more than you think. You normally only get disqualified for clicking like 20 times or in a rhythm,
Burridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Motorbiker)
How was your theory yuesterday? Sorry no-one replied beforehand.

You should be clicking when you first see the hazard and then again when it starts progressing. You can click a lot more than you think. You normally only get disqualified for clicking like 20 times or in a rhythm,
Haha, don't worry

I passed! I done much better than I expected as well, I ended up with 67/75 on the HP which really surprised me! 50/50 on the questions too which was nice.

And you're right, you can click a lot more than you think. I was led to believe that 2 or 3 clicks and you'll end up being disqualified ... but I was clicking about 7 or 8 times per clip! 3 for potential hazards, and about 4 for each developing hazard
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Haha, don't worry

I passed! I done much better than I expected as well, I ended up with 67/75 on the HP which really surprised me! 50/50 on the questions too which was nice.

And you're right, you can click a lot more than you think. I was led to believe that 2 or 3 clicks and you'll end up being disqualified ... but I was clicking about 7 or 8 times per clip! 3 for potential hazards, and about 4 for each developing hazard
Awesome work!

50/50 on the questions is good as well becuase there's always a few weird/ambiguous ones.

Very nice Hazard perception score as well. Your clicking sounds brilliant.

Now onwards to the practical test.
Burridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by Motorbiker)
Awesome work!

50/50 on the questions is good as well becuase there's always a few weird/ambiguous ones.

Very nice Hazard perception score as well. Your clicking sounds brilliant.

Now onwards to the practical test.
Thank you!

And indeed ... now the real hard work begins! Got my practical booked for July 4th! Fingers crossed
newblood
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you!

And indeed ... now the real hard work begins! Got my practical booked for July 4th! Fingers crossed
how did it go
Burridge
Rep:
?
(Original post by newblood)
how did it go
It went great thanks! I ended up with 67/75 on the HP, which is better than I expected. 50/50 on the Theory, but the question are pretty easy anyway. I had had my practical 3 weeks later and passed first time with 5 minors. The following day I had my car - and I've been driving non-stop ever since!

Good luck to everyone!
Mohid Khan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
how many questions are on road traffic signs?
and can i do llots of clicks for just one hazard?
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mohid Khan)

Not many Qs are on signs.

You can do "lots of clicks" but there's also a limit.
Burridge
Rep:
?
I've replied to your DM :-)

1) There aren't many road sign questions, probably between 3 and 5 on the actual test.
2) And yes, you can do a lot of clicks. I clicked about 3 times as soon as I seen the hazard, and a couple more as it it progressed. 5 clicks per hazard is probably just about right. Just don't click too much (8+), don't click in a pattern, but also be prepared for the clip with two hazards.

Good luck!
Mohid Khan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thanks guys

one last thing, you don't have to click on the hazard, anywhere on the screen is fine? it says that in the instructions but i just wana make sure.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thanks guys

one last thing, you don't have to click on the hazard, anywhere on the screen is fine? it says that in the instructions but i just wana make sure.

:yep:
Mohid Khan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
another question: Do they ask for specific numbers, like you cant travel in the right hand lane if your vehicle is above 7.5 tonnes. or what is the stopping distance at 60mph (73)
RotatingPhasor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got 60 in hazard without doing any hazard before the test and only 4 hours of sleep + no caffeine. So I would think theirs not much revision you can do for it. Just be overly cautious, if you see a parked car *click*. See a person on the pavement *click*. Just click a bunch but not in a spamming manner, otherwise you'll fail that clip.

Edit - Just realised I was a little too late to the party
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
another question: Do they ask for specific numbers, like you cant travel in the right hand lane if your vehicle is above 7.5 tonnes. or what is the stopping distance at 60mph (73)

The stopping distance ones are exact numbers but there's only about 6 so easy enough to memorise and it'll only be one question.
Mohid Khan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeeeessssss. I ****ing passed! :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeeeessssss. I ****ing passed! :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! What scores on each section?

Which tough questions did you get?

How did you find the Hazard perception?
FailedMyExams
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey do you have a link on where to find the mock tests?
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was one mark above the pass threshold for my hazard perception.
Motorbiker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
I was one mark above the pass threshold for my hazard perception.

Congrats! Same here... :ninja:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (124)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.27%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (86)
19.68%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (129)
29.52%

Watched Threads