The Student Room Group

AQA PHYA4 ~ 11th June 2014 ~ A2 Physics

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I feel like I've got a fair bit of work to do but looking more like I could do fairly well now, more confident in this then in the unit 5 which I need to prepare for much more.

I've been looking through the content and going over some of the topics I'm less confident with using a combination of the CGP revision guide and the Nelson Thornes textbook and doing past papers. Feel like I've not done this enough as I've got so many other exams I need to prepare for too
Reply 2
Can someone kindly explain to me how to work out an exam question. AQA PHYA4 Jan 2013 section A Question 10. Why is the answer B ????
Reply 3
Original post by Dezza1994
Can someone kindly explain to me how to work out an exam question. AQA PHYA4 Jan 2013 section A Question 10. Why is the answer B ????

The answer is C:

And my working for the question is below.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dezza1994

According to the markscheme, the answer is C :s-smilie:

You know the forces acting on the small mass are equal so you can form an equation with them, I'm calling the small mass 'm' and the other two M1 and M2. The distance from M1 to m is r1, and the distance from M2 to m is r2.

(GxM1xm)/(r1)^2 = (GxM2xm)/(r2)^2

Cancelling 'm's and 'G's you are left with:

M1/(r1)^2 = M2/(r2)^2

M1/M2 = (r1)^2/(r2)^2

SQRT(M1/M2) = r1/r2

which is option C
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MTennison
The answer is C:

And my working for the question is below.

uploading a picture was much easier than my way :tongue:
Reply 6
Hello all, next exam is this paper, should be fine eh? Strange though because it's worth the same amount as the unit 5 (20%).
Reply 7
I saw a question saying there were two parallel plates with pd of +3V and +1V but the field was positive to negative. I put the answer as if it were a field which was two positive point charges, why is this not the case? is it just because +1v is negative in comparison to +3V? does this mean that its always like this unless both pd's are equal?
Reply 8
Original post by cem101
I saw a question saying there were two parallel plates with pd of +3V and +1V but the field was positive to negative. I put the answer as if it were a field which was two positive point charges, why is this not the case? is it just because +1v is negative in comparison to +3V? does this mean that its always like this unless both pd's are equal?

Would you mind posting the question it will be clear that way.
Reply 9
Original post by cem101

I think I get what you're saying. The field flows from the MOST POSITIVE to the MOST NEGATIVE. Here being from 3v to 1v. The field strength being (3-1)/d.
Reply 10
the papers seem to get harder as the years go on, i have a feeling this one will be very tough.
I have simple question what happens to a charged particle/conductor when parallel to an electric field lines, and the same when they are parallel to magnetic field lines/ flux
Probably the hardest Multiple-choice that I will ever do.
omg guys I just did the June 2013 multiple choice section (which is about 45 minutes) and I did it in 30 minutes and got 21/25!!!! THIS IS A MIRACLEEEEEEE :happy2::groovy:
Reply 14
Original post by YOOZERNAYME
omg guys I just did the June 2013 multiple choice section (which is about 45 minutes) and I did it in 30 minutes and got 21/25!!!! THIS IS A MIRACLEEEEEEE :happy2::groovy:

I seem to average around 20... I only seem to lose marks to the 4 statement type questions... :s
Original post by AstusUK
I seem to average around 20... I only seem to lose marks to the 4 statement type questions... :s

yeah those statement ones are horrible!

I'm just so happy because my teacher is pretty awful and doesn't turn up to the lessons often so I usually rely on the nice people of TSR for help. So its a miracle without a teacher!! haha
Can someone explain to me how to get the correct answer for AQA physics b june 2013 question 3)b)iv) please?
paper: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYB4-QP-JUN13.PDF
Mark scheme: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYB4-W-MS-JUN13.PDF
thanks in advance, ps the exam is tomorrow so it's quite desperate.
Reply 17
Original post by YOOZERNAYME
yeah those statement ones are horrible!

I'm just so happy because my teacher is pretty awful and doesn't turn up to the lessons often so I usually rely on the nice people of TSR for help. So its a miracle without a teacher!! haha

I stopped relying on my teacher a long time ago. I would ask him something i didn't understand and it was a coin toss whether he could give me the answer or not.
Original post by AstusUK
I stopped relying on my teacher a long time ago. I would ask him something i didn't understand and it was a coin toss whether he could give me the answer or not.

exactly! I don't understand why they expect us to do the exams when the schools can't even employ professionals who know the topic themselves...
any one know how to do June 2012 section A Q2? Is there a link between momentum and kinetic energy? ???

Latest

Trending

Trending