Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Couldnt find a section for this so decided this would be the best place

Discuss away! Any useful information you may have just below and I will quote to put in OP.

First of all, anyone have any theories on whats going to come up in this exam?

ReputationRep:
    Very important question to anyone who looks on this.

So in 2009 the grade boundaries were 59/90 for an A but they'll obviously have changed since then. So does anyone have any idea roughly what the grade boundaries would be this year?

Much obliged

ReputationRep:
    No idea mate, I dont even know where to find any PE related forums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lastminuterevise)
    No idea mate, I dont even know where to find any PE related forums.
    I think this is the only one, PE clearly isn't a big winner on TSR

I'm not looking forward to this exam tomorrow, PE officially has the worst mark scheme I've ever seen because it's so specific. Exam technique in this will be the ultimate death of me

ReputationRep:
    God I compiled a list of some stuff which appeared in 2013 so not likely to appear again tomorrow.

Anatomy and Physiology
    Knee > Hinge > Extension > Rectus femoris > Biceps femoris
    Mechanisms of venous return
    Effect on performance of increase in venous return, during exercise (Starlings Law)
    Linear + Angular Motion
    Newton Laws of Motion 2/3 + Practical Example
    Programme of aerobic exercise preventing CHD
    * Effect of altitude on respiratory system. Discuss influence of altitude on performance.

Skill Acquisition:
    Factors affecting response time
    Motivational strategies encouraging BAHL
    Thorndikes Laws
    Welfords Information Processing Model
    * Use of different types of guidance on performance (visual, verbal, manual, mechanical) of movement skills and BAHL

Socio-Cultural:
    Benefits to UK Society having hosted Olympics
    Barriers to participation for young people
    Origins American Football
    Factors making American Football a commercial success
    Impact of modern technology in Sport
    * Causes of violence in sport. Solutions to violence

ReputationRep:
    That was actually a really good exam. The 3 10 markers, especially the one for social studies were very friendly.

Seeing as we're the only people who do AS level PE on TSR, what did you think buddy?

ReputationRep:
    You're completely right about the stuff which didn't show up by the way. I tried learning from the mark schemes because it gives you a hint as to how specific they were and I made sure to start from 2009 first.

Only missed out one question and that was the one about origins of the olympic games. There was no way I was ever going to spell Pierre De Courbertin in the exam hall.

Now onto stats in about an hours time

ReputationRep:
    Just did the exam as well, felt like the cardiovascular stuff was my best area but after doing the exam felt like the other two sections were generally easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    You're completely right about the stuff which didn't show up by the way. I tried learning from the mark schemes because it gives you a hint as to how specific they were and I made sure to start from 2009 first.

Only missed out one question and that was the one about origins of the olympic games. There was no way I was ever going to spell Pierre De Courbertin in the exam hall.

Now onto stats in about an hours time
    Yeah it was a decent exam I thought. I accidentally put bloody flexion for the first one only to realise it was extension the moment they were collecting the papers.
    Angular motion 2 marker did come up though, that was simple enough.

The 10 markers were quite good as well, just hope I didn't flop FINGERS CROSSED

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was a decent exam I thought. I accidentally put bloody flexion for the first one only to realise it was extension the moment they were collecting the papers.
    Angular motion 2 marker did come up though, that was simple enough.

The 10 markers were quite good as well, just hope I didn't flop FINGERS CROSSED
    I thought all the 10 markers were really good but the grade boundaries suggests we'll need around 65 for an A? Feeling very confident about this one. It's also (cruelly) encouraging that others in my class didn't do well in it, so that could bring the grade boundaries down.

Wasn't it hyper extension? I was quite happy that 'cartilaginous' joint came up cos I literally revised that on the way to school but no one else seems to get it.

The frustrating thing about this exam is the masses of content and how they only ask for about 5 things in each section. That's like 20% of the area used and you either know it or don't.

A2 is far worse though, so the better grade I get in this, the better it sets us up for everything else

ReputationRep:
    I thought all the 10 markers were really good but the grade boundaries suggests we'll need around 65 for an A? Feeling very confident about this one. It's also (cruelly) encouraging that others in my class didn't do well in it, so that could bring the grade boundaries down.

Wasn't it hyper extension? I was quite happy that 'cartilaginous' joint came up cos I literally revised that on the way to school but no one else seems to get it.

The frustrating thing about this exam is the masses of content and how they only ask for about 5 things in each section. That's like 20% of the area used and you either know it or don't.

A2 is far worse though, so the better grade I get in this, the better it sets us up for everything else
    Probably would have been like (hyper) extension or extension BOD.
    Which part had cartilaginous joints because I didnt mention anything about that :/

ReputationRep:
    Probably would have been like (hyper) extension or extension BOD.
    Which part had cartilaginous joints because I didnt mention anything about that :/
    It was the first question about the spine. That is a cartilaginous joint right? Haven't dared to look back at my notes but previous mark schemes have said that for the joint being 'spine'. Mark schemes for PE are horribly strict, but I think extension probably would have been acceptable cos it's kinda the same thing, but previous mark schemes for this kinda thing have said "extension = VAGUE"

ReputationRep:
    It was the first question about the spine. That is a cartilaginous joint right? Haven't dared to look back at my notes but previous mark schemes have said that for the joint being 'spine'. Mark schemes for PE are horribly strict, but I think extension probably would have been acceptable cos it's kinda the same thing, but previous mark schemes for this kinda thing have said "extension = VAGUE"
    Ive always been taught it was a gliding joint.

ReputationRep:
    Ive always been taught it was a gliding joint.
    Checked the mark scheme for a different paper and it said gliding/cartilaginous so we're both alright for that one i guess

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, can you remember any of the questions from 2014s paper? (Preferably socio-economic section) thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toby2204)
    Hey guys, can you remember any of the questions from 2014s paper? (Preferably socio-economic section) thanks
    Hey. The 10 marker was on origins of sport in USA and there were a couple of questions about the Olympics.

The other 10 markers were about the nervous system and arousal. Other than that, I've done the best I can to erase the exam from my memory

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.