The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on George W. Bush?

Scroll to see replies

Bush should be locked in the Hague. Him and Blair's war crimes will go unanswered as the pigs continue to fatten themselves at the expense of the global poor.

Taking Saddam out for humanitarian reasons was absolute *******s. The US backs dictators all the time. It's been screwing around in the Middle East for the past few decades. Arming resistance movements then turning on them when they get in power. It's happening again in Syria. Also let's consider their support for Saudi Arabia, one of the most brutal regimes in the world. No. Spreading democracy was the moral shield to trick the feeble, not the cause.
The Iraq War was illegal due to the fact that it was sold to the public and UN using intelligence from a known fabricator. Hundred's of NATO soldiers have died in Iraq and the country is now highly unstable, but Bush & Blair are still unable to take responsibility for their colossal cock-up.

We're still spending resources and dealing with the situation in Iraq 11 years on from the invasion.

My opinion of GWB is that he is an imbecile.
Original post by FDR
You really can't understand why people opposed it?

How about because the reason for going to war was supposedly based on the belief that the regime had 'weapons of mass destruction', and posed a threat to the West. Being kind to Bush, you could argue that he was mistaken in thinking Iraq had such weapons (despite never finding evidence to suggest this, even though he had the World's best intelligence at his disposal).

You're incredibly naive if you think the invasion was about promoting democracy, or for humanitarian reasons. If it was, then why Iraq over the many other (much, much worse) dictators? Why didn't America go in and liberate North Korea, something that would have been much better for the North Koreans than the Iraq war was for the Iraqis.Not to mention the fact that NK is closer to having WMDs than Iraq ever was. Or why didn't the US liberate Zimbabwe, or Sudan?

The war had nothing to do with humanitarian reasons, and it was never presented as such. It was 'supposedly' about protecting US and Israel from the dangerous dictator Hussein, and the public were mislead about Iraq's WMDs to justify it. Of course, the UN, and every other Western European nation bar Britain didn't buy it, didn't support it, and hence it was illegal. The real reasons are many; Oil and Arms manufacturers played a large role, but I imagine Bush thought it would help his relection chances,and he would be seen as 'strong' in the aftermath of 9/11.

Well for one thing I don't think that it was purely a humanitarian intervention - these things hardly ever are. But I don't really care what the "true" motivation for the war was, what I am interested in is why people were so ideologically against the war. Saddam's regime was one of the worst in the world by the way; as bad as North Korea certainly. (And that's saying a lot.) My line is this: if American interests include getting rid of a violent dictatorship, why on earth would you align yourself against them? I'm sure American interests involved winning the Cold war and the war against Fascism (i.e. the liberation of Europe was not purely humanitarian), but I would never advocate against WWII or the war against Communism for that reason!

By the way, the US did intervene in Korea in the 50s. It helped the South win against the North. The North is a relic of American defeat and the subjugation of decent values under Communism, as Iraq is fast turning into a relic of American defeat today, and Vietnam is also.

As for Sudan and Zimbabwe, sadly it is not in American interests to intervene in those places (and Bill Clinton made a right cock-up of his attempt to intervene in Sudan, destroying a pharmaceutical factory). Any Western intervention in Zimbabwe would, due to history, beg the question of whether or not the West should intervene (again) in the Congo, Rwanda, Uganda and other African countries blighted by backward bigotry. However, if one day the US decided that it wanted to invade Zimbabwe, depose the dictator Mugabe, and install a democracy there, would you oppose it on ideological grounds? I would support it unless I believed it would make the situation worse.

Quick Reply

Latest