University of Nottingham students:ACCOMMODATION ADVICE NEEDED!

Watch
DoctorDoctor1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone!

This post is for anyone who is going to be studying at the University of Nottingham in 2014...I need your help!
I will be studying on the Graduate Entry Medicine course at the University of Nottingham, which means that atleast for the first 18 months, I will be based in Derby.
Just a simple question I want to ask you guys...shall I look for accommodation in Nottingham OR Derby?
Which is better and why?
Would be super grateful for any suggestions

Thanks!
ohtodieoflaughter
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Derby courses are gradually being shut down (as far as I'm aware) and I've got the impression from people that it's becoming quite dead in Derby in terms of the students on the course. However I imagine most people will be based in Derby because its long hours of work and the commute to Nottingham wouldn't be worth it. I would recommend staying in Derby while you're there, there is a Derby University as well as the Notts courses so there'll be plenty of students around for the social side of things, and the commute would be horrible!
DarkWhite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DoctorDoctor1)
Hi everyone!

This post is for anyone who is going to be studying at the University of Nottingham in 2014...I need your help!
I will be studying on the Graduate Entry Medicine course at the University of Nottingham, which means that atleast for the first 18 months, I will be based in Derby.
Just a simple question I want to ask you guys...shall I look for accommodation in Nottingham OR Derby?
Which is better and why?

Thanks!
Personally, I would live in Lonsdale Hall in Derby, or look for a house near the Royal Derby Hospital.

The reason is purely based on transport. There is a free Hopper Bus between University Park in Nottingham and the learning centre at Royal Derby Hospital, but it is infrequent and takes 30 mins each way.

A lot of UoN students based at Derby join Derby University's students' union as well as being members of UoNSU. Because there's even more students at the university there, organising societies and activities is a lot easier. That said, UoNSU is improving its presence and support for students at Derby, with them having their own Freshers' Fair, welfare campaigns, committees, societies, clubs, and bookable space for example.

(Original post by ohtodieoflaughter)
The Derby courses are gradually being shut down (as far as I'm aware) and I've got the impression from people that it's becoming quite dead in Derby in terms of the students on the course. However I imagine most people will be based in Derby because its long hours of work and the commute to Nottingham wouldn't be worth it. I would recommend staying in Derby while you're there, there is a Derby University as well as the Notts courses so there'll be plenty of students around for the social side of things, and the commute would be horrible!
It's the exact opposite actually. Students are being moved from the sites at Boston, Grantham, Lincoln, and Mansfield to study at the Derby site. The reason I believe is largely due to being able to provide a better quality teaching and learning experience if there are ~2000 students in one place compared to a couple of hundred here, a few hundred there, etc, and spreading staff out.
ohtodieoflaughter
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DarkWhite)
Personally, I would live in Lonsdale Hall in Derby, or look for a house near the Royal Derby Hospital.

The reason is purely based on transport. There is a free Hopper Bus between University Park in Nottingham and the learning centre at Royal Derby Hospital, but it is infrequent and takes 30 mins each way.

A lot of UoN students based at Derby join Derby University's students' union as well as being members of UoNSU. Because there's even more students at the university there, organising societies and activities is a lot easier. That said, UoNSU is improving its presence and support for students at Derby, with them having their own Freshers' Fair, welfare campaigns, committees, societies, clubs, and bookable space for example.

It's the exact opposite actually. Students are being moved from the sites at Boston, Grantham, Lincoln, and Mansfield to study at the Derby site. The reason I believe is largely due to being able to provide a better quality teaching and learning experience if there are ~2000 students in one place compared to a couple of hundred here, a few hundred there, etc, and spreading staff out.
Ah ok, it was second hand info so I'm prepared to believe that!

I did hear from the nurses in Derby though that it's getting a bit depressingly quiet around there at an Education meeting.
matty1794
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DoctorDoctor1)
Hi everyone!

Which is better and why?

Thanks!
Live in Nottingham. I know many people who have to travel to Derby everyday for uni, sure it's a ballache having to get up 6am sometimes but you'll have a much better time in Nottingham from what they all say!
jezzabell37
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hello everyone! I am a graduate entry nurse based in derby! I am looking for someone to rent my room. It could be ideal for you guys because I am wanting to rent from september and really I am looking to rent for a minimum of 1 month up to I guess 1 year and 4 months. I would be quite flexible really in whatever you needed. So for those of you who are unsure if you want to rent in derby or nottingham this could be ideal for until you decide! It is very close to both the city centre and the hospital so really ideal for getting to uni! All 6 of use are GENs and all are lovely. You would be welcomed!

1 bedroom in a six bedroom house.

Other 5 house mates are students. All very welcoming and friendly.
There are 2 bathrooms, with a shower in each.
We have wireless internet and virgin media television.
There is a garden with a patio.

The room is a double bedroom with desk, chest of drawers and two built in wardrobes. It is a nice room, quite large and nice and sunny in the evenings.
Large kitchen and also sitting room.

RENT IS BILLS INCLUDED. (tv license, tv contract, heating, water, electricity)

Only ten minute walk to the city centre and also on several bus routes.

If you have any questions/want photos/rent price etc etc send me a private message

Good luck with starting!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (353)
55.94%
I don't have everything I need (278)
44.06%

Watched Threads