sadii_
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
what was Darwin theory i need to knw for my gcse exam biology on friday plz help
Parallex
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Darwin theorized that organisms descended from a common ancestor. GCSE is very brief on evolution anyway to be honest. Just read the simple facts off Google and why some evidence (e.g. the pentadactyl limb) supports his theory.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Natural selection. Mutations causes genetic variation due to different species having different alleles. The best adapted species survived whereas the less adapted died out, causing the better adapted species to have less competition and breed successfully so the species is said to have evolved.

The other theory you should be expected to know at GCSE is Lamarck's theory, which states that characteristics were passed from parents to offspring, which is not true.
sadii_
Rep:
?
thanks soooooo much
sadii_
Rep:
?
thanks

sadii_
Rep:
?
so i dont need to learn Darwin theory that much but Lamarck more
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sadii_)
so i dont need to learn Darwin theory that much but Lamarck more
Pretty much all you need to know is in my post above.

The only information required about Lamarck's theory is what I posted and that it's wrong. Natural selection is much more important.
sadii_
Rep:
?
okay kool thnxs
lerjj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1t5...W7hkUMVaZz4eDg

Darwin: variation, selection pressure, certain species don't progress, better adapted species continue.

Lamarck: Giraffe stretches to eat leaves, has a taller child.

Ultimately, the first explanation is better, (also, video is good for explaining the difference between evolution and natural selection so you can be petty and pedantic in your B1 exam!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads