The Student Room Group

Just fought with my best friend over a "video" to my boyfriend :(

To cut it short, best friend was having a bad day so I wanted to cheer her up. So i recorded a video of me doing a parody of miley cyrus's video "Adore you" (I know it's really stupid) (I shot this video a few months ago...)

but like i was really silly in the video and i sent it to her via whatsapp. she laughed so much and loved it (this was 1 month ago) now before sending her the vid, i told her not to send it to anyone cuz I trust her. shes like ofc im ur best friend i wouldnt show it to anyone...

2 days ago, my boyfriend (who came into my life after i recorded the video) told me that she showed him the video.. i was so embarrassed and got really annoyed at her tbh.

after confronting her about it, she was like so what hes your boyfriend. im like that wasn't ur call to make. i was like then i cant trust u anymore. she was like then whats the point of our friendship if u cant trust me? im like BY SENDING HIM THAT VIDEO you gave me reason to not trust u. shes like go pick a fight without else im not in the mood for u. seriously what the hell? i was like im not at fault here, u had no right to show him that video of me...and her response was well u shouldnt have made a silly video like that then.

wtf? is she serious?? I got so upset with her. she told me to grow up. and we're both on holiday and she made plans to come see me, but cancelled her flight cuz of this.

like seriously u guys, who's at fault here? dont i have the right to be upset with her cuz she violated our trust and showed the video to my bf? just cuz he's my boyfriend doesnt mean she had the right to send him that video..it wasn't her call to make...

and now my bf calls me (him and her are good friends btw) and hes like seriously why do u go pick a fight with everyone? u shouldnt have fought over that, and now see what u did, u ruined our holiday.

im so upset and i know its silly but im actually tearing up as im writing this. is it really my fault? Im gonna break down any second now :frown:
She didn't show it to your boyfriend with intent to do bad. Maybe because she see's you as such a close friend she thought you wouldn't get upset. Furthermore , she did show it to your boyfriend not just some random person.

When ever I get into an argument with friends I think " I can be upset for a day and lose a friendship for a lifetime or I can be humble for 10 minutes and accept my wrongdoings and keep that friend for a life time".

Personally if I was you I would accept that it was my fault but its your choice.
I'm not going to give you opinions as to who is right and wrong (others will do that quite willingly and tbh since you filmed yourself in a situation inspired by Miley Cyrus I wouldn't be holding out for a lot of sympathy) but rather give you some advice as to what happens next.

You can either continue to get more and more upset by this. Or you can say "**** happens", make friends with everyone, and be more circumspect about what you commit to film in the future.

What would Miley Cyrus do in this situation? That's right, she'd get high, cop off with some weirdo, and debase herself in public. So do the opposite. Act grown-up, dignified, and not let petty problems annoy you.
Reply 3
I'd appreciate it if more people commented. Thank you
Reply 4
You can't be serious...
Reply 5
I think you have a right to be annoyed. It was a violation but it should be just stated that you felt upset that she sent it (despite it going to your boyfriend) and move on. If you guys are really bestfriends this should be a blip. She was wrong but her intention doesn't seem to be malicious. Talk it out and make her see that it did hurt you and I don't think you should be marginalised by her and our boyfriend for having feelings. It is unfair of them to have a go at you. Emotions aren't logical. It isn't a simple 2+2=4. You were upset and they can't see it but it doesn't make it ridiculous.
Original post by Anonymous
I'd appreciate it if more people commented. Thank you

How old are you? Please say under sixteen.

Um, I guess she shouldn't have showed him if you clearly told her not to, but if you can't act silly infront of your boyfriend, I'd say it's not a great relationship.
To cut it short, best friend was having a bad day so I wanted to cheer her up. So i recorded a video of me doing a parody of miley cyrus's video "Adore you" (I know it's really stupid) (I shot this video a few months ago...)

but like i was really silly in the video and i sent it to her via whatsapp. she laughed so much and loved it (this was 1 month ago) now before sending her the vid, i told her not to send it to anyone cuz I trust her. shes like ofc im ur best friend i wouldnt show it to anyone...

2 days ago, my boyfriend (who came into my life after i recorded the video) told me that she showed him the video.. i was so embarrassed and got really annoyed at her tbh.

after confronting her about it, she was like so what hes your boyfriend. im like that wasn't ur call to make. i was like then i cant trust u anymore. she was like then whats the point of our friendship if u cant trust me? im like BY SENDING HIM THAT VIDEO you gave me reason to not trust u. shes like go pick a fight without else im not in the mood for u. seriously what the hell? i was like im not at fault here, u had no right to show him that video of me...and her response was well u shouldnt have made a silly video like that then.

wtf? is she serious?? I got so upset with her. she told me to grow up. and we're both on holiday and she made plans to come see me, but cancelled her flight cuz of this.

like seriously u guys, who's at fault here? dont i have the right to be upset with her cuz she violated our trust and showed the video to my bf? just cuz he's my boyfriend doesnt mean she had the right to send him that video..it wasn't her call to make...

and now my bf calls me (him and her are good friends btw) and hes like seriously why do u go pick a fight with everyone? u shouldnt have fought over that, and now see what u did, u ruined our holiday.

im so upset and i know its silly but im actually tearing up as im writing this. is it really my fault? Im gonna break down any second now :frown:

This seems like a very silly thing to fall out about, so I hope there isn't any lasting impact.

But really, I would have thought she'd just apologise for sending it, she clearly didn't realise how embarrassed you'd be over it/weren't prepared to be that close with your boyfriend and that's not entirely her fault (these things never look as bad on the other side) - but yeah I would expect an apology if I confronted her about it. While 'violation of trust' may be a slight overreaction it was still against what you said and she knows it, her trying to put the blame on you isn't fair.

Just looking at the other comments - I agree it doesn't seem like she did it too be spiteful which is why she is so confused. I'm not really sure what you should do because while it seems like a very small thing with no bad intent, it should be her apologising really and not getting your boyfriend on your case as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
where's the video?
And then I'm like who cares....

As said **** happens I think you are making a massive deal over something that although is upsetting for you is not the end of the world. Is it worth losing your friend over? Yes it's embarrassing, but laugh it off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, I don't think you've given enough info to comment on what her intentions/motivations for showing him the video may have been, but I guess the bottom line is that you asked her not to show it to anyone, she said she wouldn't, but she did. So I can see why feel she betrayed your trust.

However, as Manytoes pointed out, I'm a bit concerned as to why it's such a big deal that your boyfriend saw it. Is that better or worse than if she had shown it to another friend/a stranger? I think you should be able to be unembarrassedly silly with your boyfriend, personally. Maybe you've not been together long and you're still trying to make an impeccably good impression?
Reply 11
She shouldn't have shown him the video.

Your reaction was a bit over the top though. Yes, it was a little embarrassing but your boyfriend didn't seem to lose any respect for you (until your reaction). You should've just taken it on the chin and laughed about it, while noting that your friend isn't one for keeping your secrets.
Seriously? Give it a day.
Reply 13
You like the word 'like', don't you?
i said a like, a like, a likedy like,
she was like, I was like, a likedy like.
Well clearly she shouldn't have shown the video to him, but it's hardly worth falling out with her over. Just tell her it pissed you off and move on.
She shouldn't have shower it to him but usually I'd say get over it, BUT her reaction makes it seem that she's not that fussed about your friendship.
Reply 17

Its a bit of a silly thing to argue about really - but Id be more mad at your boyfriend - he should be taking your side out of principle!

She probably likes your boyfriend and showed him the video to make her look like the better catch at the time.

Her plan would have backfired, since girls behaving silly is actually cute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending