The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

S104 October 2014 - anyone else in?

I've just enrolled (together with U116) as first steps towards BSc Environmental Science. Anyone else doing it? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I've done it... Any questions let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 2
What would you advise reading between now and starting? I have some biology knowledge but nothing in the way of physics or chem at all. Are they any necessary texts to buy too?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KahlanAmnell
What would you advise reading between now and starting? I have some biology knowledge but nothing in the way of physics or chem at all. Are they any necessary texts to buy too?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely start to read now... You can either buy the books from
Amazon or past students may send you the PDFs of the modules (not strictly allowed but people do)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Wonderful thanks.. Are the PDFs the same as the texts on amazon? Are there any other suggested books to read?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KahlanAmnell
Wonderful thanks.. Are the PDFs the same as the texts on amazon? Are there any other suggested books to read?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep exactly the same... Don't waste your money on the books... No other pre-reading required

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hey! I've registered - just need to confirm and pay yet... but can seem to find out anywhere details about the exam... I work full time and it's not always easy for me to get time off work --- I didn't want to pay and commit, then to discover that there's no way I can take the exam. Does anyone know when the exam was last year?
Reply 7
Original post by mh496
Hey! I've registered - just need to confirm and pay yet... but can seem to find out anywhere details about the exam... I work full time and it's not always easy for me to get time off work --- I didn't want to pay and commit, then to discover that there's no way I can take the exam. Does anyone know when the exam was last year?

I did it in 2013, it was June 4th, 10:30am, for 3 hours at a local hotel. I think it was the same this year too.

You can change the venue but not the date. They do give you 4 months notice, though.
Reply 8
Original post by niyuco
I did it in 2013, it was June 4th, 10:30am, for 3 hours at a local hotel. I think it was the same this year too.

You can change the venue but not the date. They do give you 4 months notice, though.

Great - thank you!! I was just a bit worried that it would be during the school summer holidays, as it's difficult for me to take time off then.

I can't quite believe that I'm considering the prospect of more exams - I've just worked out that in the last 16 years I've only had 3 years without exams... and for the last two major sets of exams I was thinking 'yay, I never have to do any exams again!' Still, I think it's going to be worth it :smile:
Reply 9
I've just enrolled too, aiming for Natural Sciences. Not paid up yet! I work full time so S104 will be my only course this year. I hear it's heavy going..
Reply 10
Original post by Hangleton
I've just enrolled too, aiming for Natural Sciences. Not paid up yet! I work full time so S104 will be my only course this year. I hear it's heavy going..

Starts off fairly easy, ramps up around book 4 (chemistry) and never really lets up after that.
My advice is to start reading the books as soon as you get them, aim to stay at least 2 weeks ahead of schedule (ideally much more than that), and then you won't have too many problems. It's a really good module.

Good luck.. It's heavy going but well worth it... Try and get hold of books or PDF books over summer to get ahead it will be worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

As above.. Try and get books or PDFs to learn over summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everybody!
I've just enrolled too, it's my first step towards BSc Astronomy.
I was wondering if someone knows how to get these PDF files to start to study and would like to share the information...
Thank you!
Ex students of the module have the PDFs.. Strictly not allowed to be shared it depends on the person if they wish to share them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the information! Do you know if the OU usually sends the books few weeks in advance to allow some early studying? :-)
Not really around 3 weeks before

Posted from TSR Mobile
People who have done the course before .. is there any opportunity to get together in tutor groups? If so, where would this be and how often?

Reading through the course material, I can see there are some things that would benefit from face to face clarification.

I am based in Brighton if that's of any help.
Reply 18
People who have done the course before .. is there any opportunity to get together in tutor groups? If so, where would this be and how often?

Reading through the course material, I can see there are some things that would benefit from face to face clarification.

I am based in Brighton if that's of any help.

Yes - about once a month you will have a tutorial. They are optional so not everyone goes to them. Probably will be held at a local university or college. In addition there are often online tutorials (OU live).
That's really useful, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest