The Student Room Group

MISSED EXAMS - Still accepted by Uni??

Hey guys
What will happen to my conditional offer if I miss my exams due to being in hospital? I know that this is extenuating circumstances, will the uni accept a candidate on predicted grades alone then? What if I applied privately and didn't get predicted grades from my reference?

Extremely worried that my uni choice won't accept me.

Please shed some light on this with previous experiences and such

Thanks a lot
Original post by michelleodonnell
Hey guys
What will happen to my conditional offer if I miss my exams due to being in hospital? I know that this is extenuating circumstances, will the uni accept a candidate on predicted grades alone then? What if I applied privately and didn't get predicted grades from my reference?

Extremely worried that my uni choice won't accept me.

Please shed some light on this with previous experiences and such

Thanks a lot

Is this something that has happened or purely hypothetical? If you have already completed some of the units of your exams up to a certain percentage (and I forget what that is - it used to be 40%, but I think it's now higher) then the exam board will calculate your final grade based on that. If you haven't then, I'm afraid it's likely to be a year out and retaking. You need to speak to your exams officer tomorrow. If any information needs to be sent to the board, it needs to go asap.
I agree, speaking to the exams officer at your school/college is a good idea. They will be able to let you know if you'll be able to get a grade from the exam board or not.

If you can get a grade from the exam board, the university will go from this. You/your school should let them know of your circumstances, but as you've already had special consideration from the exam board, they won't give you any extra leniency on missed grades etc- so you won't have special consideration twice.

If you can't get a grade from the exam board (which might be the case if you missed all your A2 exams in a subject) then you need to contact the university directly and explain the situation, ideally with medical explanations and a supporting statement from your head of sixth form. It's not impossible to be accepted this way- especially if you have good AS grades and your teachers vouch for your ability to cope with the course. However, if you are an independent applicant, then without an accademic reference from someone who knows you, your chances may be weaker. Depending on your grades and circumstances, you may be asked to retake- however, it's likely the university would defer your place, so at least you wouldn't have to reapply. The university may offer an alternative course that they think would be suitable, e.g. a foundation year.

Do bear in mind that not having full A-levels could impact on you in the future, e.g. when applying for jobs or postgraduate study. For this reason, you might want to make sure you have A-level grades anyway. It is very likely the university will allow you to defer your place in these circumstances.
Very much agree with Slowloris on the issue of A levels. Whilst getting into university without them might seem at first sight like a gift, it may well come back to bite you in later years. Employers often filter applicants on A levels even for graduate jobs, so think very carefully.
I know someone who wasn't able to sit her A2 exams due to extenuating circumstances and her firm uni still wouldn't accept her so you can't bank on it. She had to retake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending