The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Bangor Accommodation Choices & Chat Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ttreb
So accommodation has opened, and I'm stuck as to what halls to choose for September. I've had a good look at the ffriddoedd site and that's where I'd like to live.

Anyone who currently lives there or has lived there, do you have any halls that you would recommend?

Cheers :smile:

I second what Aarun says about any of the newer halls. Aesthetically they're all the same, I lived in Braint. Its quiet (I think it's the smallest hall), is above the shop, opposite Uno and close to carparks.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Original post by Harry.Taylor
what size posters and paintings are you allowed in a room? are there wall hangings for having paintings in our rooms?

Theres no limit on size however you cannot use nails/pins to put stuff up. Theres's a yearly inspection and if you have damaged with walls (for example putting a poster up with pins) you will receive a written notice to remove it. Everyone I know removed theirs as soon as they got the letter but I'm sure you get fined if you don't remove it and there is great damage. Hope this helps.
Original post by kat345
Does anyone know what programme you need to look at Bangor university's accommodation? Because it keeps saying I need a "Plug in" or something for it to work, i've even emailed the accommodation team at Bangor and they dont know
If anyone can help it would be much appreciated, thank you :smile:

Try a different browser. Chrome always prompts me to automatically run on that site. You need the QuickTime plug in, or at least the latest version (the 'image' is interactive). You can download this easily. Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Aarun
Hey, current first year (soon to be second) and I would basically recommend any of the newer ensuite halls, if your finances will allow it. They generally cost around �111 pw, making them the most expensive of the halls, but I would argue that they're worth it. I personally stayed in Peris, and loved my time there, the room was nice, sizable and the shared kitchen area was spacious enough.

That's brilliant thanks. I've heard a lot of people say the same, that virtually all of the new halls are the same so if you can get those, go for them. Just one more question, do you know much about Llanddwyn halls? I've had a few people recommend that hall in particular, but from the pictures it looks like there is a bike shed right outside, and I'm just wondering whether that becomes an issue with noise in the morning.
Reply 84
Original post by EloiseStar
I second what Aarun says about any of the newer halls. Aesthetically they're all the same, I lived in Braint. Its quiet (I think it's the smallest hall), is above the shop, opposite Uno and close to carparks.

That sounds like the ideal hall haha, haven't really looked at that hall so thanks :smile:

Did you have any issues with it being right opposite the bar? It's useful for nights out which is a big plus, but at times when you want to get some studying done ( or sleep :wink: ) did the bar become a problem?
Reply 85
Original post by ttreb
That sounds like the ideal hall haha, haven't really looked at that hall so thanks :smile:

Did you have any issues with it being right opposite the bar? It's useful for nights out which is a big plus, but at times when you want to get some studying done ( or sleep :wink: ) did the bar become a problem?

Bar Uno itself never gets too rowdy, in my experience it's usually a place to start off a night or just to stop for something to eat, watch any sports, etc. and usually closes a lot earlier than any other pubs, so it's never too bad noise wise.

Also, to answer your other questions, I don't know too much about Llanddwyn in particular, but I have had a fair few early starts myself and have never heard too much noise coming from the bike sheds.
what size posters and paintings are you allowed in a room? are there wall hangings for having paintings in our rooms?

When I went on a visit/applicants day a month or so ago they told us that you can put anything up on your wall but it has to go up using white-tack because you cant leave marks on the walls:smile: x
Reply 87
Hey guys,

I'm working through my application for accommodation and I'm looking at Ffraw, Crefnant and Briant but I noticed that Briant has a slightly shorter contract than the other two (37 weeks as opposed to 40 weeks). Can anyone explain the benefits/differences between the contract lengths? Should I be going for longer or shorter contracts?

Thanks!
What about paintings? you cant really white-tack them to walls? Thanks though:smile: x
Original post by ttreb

My room was on the side opposite Uno but talking from my experience of what my flatmates said, only occasionally was it loud. For example, when theres an event on (kinda rare; like halloween, major football game etc).

I've had my sleep disrupted but its been from people coming in from a night out. You're going to get that in most halls though. Can't be helped and I guess it's just how tolerant you are of of noise when you're sleeping. For studying? It's never an issue in the day time, at night, like it said, its infrequent and in honesty, it won't really bother you. If it is loud for some reason, like a flat party, you could always study in the library (its 24/7).
What about paintings? you cant really white-tack them to walls? Thanks though:smile: x

Same applies. Everything has to be applied with white tac or you'll get a formal warning :smile:
Original post by Mird
Hey guys,

I'm working through my application for accommodation and I'm looking at Ffraw, Crefnant and Briant but I noticed that Briant has a slightly shorter contract than the other two (37 weeks as opposed to 40 weeks). Can anyone explain the benefits/differences between the contract lengths? Should I be going for longer or shorter contracts?

Thanks!

You're in luck, I was in Braint this year! It just means you move out earlier, and save a couple hundred pounds. Some people's courses run longer, I think I've heard that sports science students are still there now for formal examinations (or something, not too sure on that... :confused: ). My contract this year ended on 6th June but I've already moved out.

Benefits
Less money on accommodation

Disadvantages
I haven't come across any but I guess if some of your course mates are staying longer than you are you can't hang around with them and have to go home. Most of my friends have gone home already.

Differences?
You have to be fully moved out 2/3 weeks before the majority of other halls (note: majority of students have moved out by the end of their exams which is normally mid-late May)

I think my contract was 36/7 weeks this year. Let me know if you want to know anything about Braint.
Hey all. There are a couple of current students lurking around the forum so I'm sure they'll join me in answering any questions you have about accommodation. There is a thread at the top but it is seriously outdated... 5/6 years old :confused: :rolleyes:

So if you have any questions, I , at least, will get back to you...
Can international students stay at the hall when it's Christmas or Easter break? Coz the residence conditions stated the accommodation is vacated for the Easter semester break... feel confused:confused:
Reply 94
Original post by chanelly
Can international students stay at the hall when it's Christmas or Easter break? Coz the residence conditions stated the accommodation is vacated for the Easter semester break... feel confused:confused:

The residence condition says they could be vacated not that they will be. It's not likely as the contract is for 40 weeks and if my maths is not too wrong it should include christmas and easter. But you can always come to my parents with me.
Original post by EszterS
The residence condition says they could be vacated not that they will be. It's not likely as the contract is for 40 weeks and if my maths is not too wrong it should include christmas and easter. But you can always come to my parents with me.

I see!:wink: Thanks a lot Estzer!!:biggrin:
Reply 96
I see!:wink: Thanks a lot Estzer!!:biggrin:

Elly, you just misspelled my name:biggrin:
Original post by EszterS
Elly, you just misspelled my name:biggrin:

HAHAHA I just noticed Eszter!!:eek: Sry about that... :colondollar:
Reply 98

Hey, yeah I know plenty of international students that remained in halls over the Christmas and Easter breaks. In fact, I think the vast majority of them did.
Original post by Aarun
Hey, yeah I know plenty of international students that remained in halls over the Christmas and Easter breaks. In fact, I think the vast majority of them did.

I see..:biggrin: I think I could stay in hall too:tongue: Thanks for answering my question.

Quick Reply

Latest