The unit 3 product design 2014 exam

Watch this thread
lew96
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Just sat the exam this morning, I found the questions quite difficult compared to previous exam paper questions. Can someone answer this please....can metal buckets be made through spinning? I chose spinning as it says 3D hollow objects are made from this process
doiknowyou
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lew96)
Just sat the exam this morning, I found the questions quite difficult compared to previous exam paper questions. Can someone answer this please....can metal buckets be made through spinning? I chose spinning as it says 3D hollow objects are made from this process
Hey I think that's an acceptable answer, I wrote press forming the bucket with a die. For the wringing out section was stamped to make circular holes and also press formed. I said the metal joining the handle to the bucket could be stamped or CNC lasered. And I was unsure about the metal handle, I wrote down metal extrusion but wasn't confident with this answer so I crossed ti out and wrote die casting.

Which ques did you choose to do? I did Q2, Q5,Q6 and Q9
lew96
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by doiknowyou)
Hey I think that's an acceptable answer, I wrote press forming the bucket with a die. For the wringing out section was stamped to make circular holes and also press formed. I said the metal joining the handle to the bucket could be stamped or CNC lasered. And I was unsure about the metal handle, I wrote down metal extrusion but wasn't confident with this answer so I crossed ti out and wrote die casting.

I wrote die casting aswell for the part where the water is drained. The exam could of done with at least one question about finishes or applications of certain classifications.
I cant remember the numbers exactly but I did the first one about textures etc, the mop bucket one and one about patents.
I did get a little confused about the material specification part though
RyanFidler
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I did question 1 on inclusive design, development in technology in two areas. The mop bucket question and the two design movement question to refference to arange of products to show good design.
mattc39
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

I thought the handle of the buckets were made through pressure die casting? Did you say anything about the rubber looking grip on the handle?
mattc39
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-invo...#didyouknowout

Looks similar to the bucket in the exam
doiknowyou
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mattc39)
I thought the handle of the buckets were made through pressure die casting? Did you say anything about the rubber looking grip on the handle?
I wasn't sure on how the rubber part was formed, I should have written down that it was injection moulded.
For the plastic bucket I said the handle had been placed in the die so that the plastic would be moulded around the handle in the process of injection moulding, is that right?
doiknowyou
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mattc39)
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-invo...#didyouknowout

Looks similar to the bucket in the exam
Did you write down that the metal bucket is galvanised and what material did you say it was? I wrote down aluminimum.
mattc39
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Did you write down that the metal bucket is galvanised and what material did you say it was? I wrote down aluminimum.
No I didn't write galvanised, think I put medium carbon steel.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (93)
20%
The paper was reasonable (178)
38.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.59%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.13%

Watched Threads