The Student Room Group

Why don't players hand in transfer requests if they REALLY want to leave?

So Adam Lallana has told Southampton he wants to go to Liverpool after the WC for £25m but it seems WON'T hand in a transfer request.

Surely, if he REALLY wants to leave, he hands in a transfer request, RIGHT?

No it seems, and the reason is because he - on the advice of his agent - doesn't want to lose any money if he doesn't hand in a request and also to avoid harming his relationship with the fans (which will probably be broken when he leaves anyway).

Reminded me of last summer with Rooney when he wanted a new challenge at Chelsea but didn't want to hand in a transfer request.

Is it down to money why they don't or is it genuine sincerity in not wanting to harm the relationship with the fans?
Said it at the time but I respected that Benteke at least handed in a request because you do get some players who just throw a strop so they can still get their bonuses.
Two words - loyalty bonus. Lallana said this 12 months ago so i'm sure he knows what Saints fans think of this transfer saga:

''I've been at the Club since I was 12 and being honest I can only see my future lying with Southampton Football Club.

"If someone was to say that I'd end my career playing for Southampton in the Premier League then I'd snap your hand off for it.''
Reply 3
I've probably answered my own question to a degree but is the loyalty bonus the remaining wages on your contract or a percentage of it? You'd imagine if a player A really wanted to play for a club - and he'd be getting a nice wage with his new club - that he'd forgo that money to get his move.
Original post by Aky786UK
I've probably answered my own question to a degree but is the loyalty bonus the remaining wages on your contract or a percentage of it? You'd imagine if a player A really wanted to play for a club - and he'd be getting a nice wage with his new club - that he'd forgo that money to get his move.

Well yes but if they kick up a fuss and threaten to be disruptive etc - all but hand in a request formally - then they can still get their new wages and loyalty bonus. It's ridiculous but hey-ho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aky786UK
So Adam Lallana has told Southampton he wants to go to Liverpool after the WC for £25m but it seems WON'T hand in a transfer request.

Surely, if he REALLY wants to leave, he hands in a transfer request, RIGHT?

No it seems, and the reason is because he - on the advice of his agent - doesn't want to lose any money if he doesn't hand in a request and also to avoid harming his relationship with the fans (which will probably be broken when he leaves anyway).

Reminded me of last summer with Rooney when he wanted a new challenge at Chelsea but didn't want to hand in a transfer request.

Is it down to money why they don't or is it genuine sincerity in not wanting to harm the relationship with the fans?

Has Lallana or Southampton actually come out and confirmed that he said he wants to leave or is it just paper talk?

The main reason players don't hand in a transfer request formally is because if they have any respect for their current club, they don't want to put them on the back foot. If a player publically states their intention to leave, the value of that player is whatever the buyer is willing to pay because the seller is pressured to sell. Where there's no pressure to sell, the selling club can demand a much higher price and just keep the player if it isn't matched.

So much of the deals between two football clubs are politics and haggling over money
Reply 6
Original post by IanDangerously
Has Lallana or Southampton actually come out and confirmed that he said he wants to leave or is it just paper talk?

Paper talk that's he told Southampton he wants to go to Liverpool. I think he's more likely to stay with Shaw potentially off, Lambert gone and Lovren/Schneiderlin to stay aswell. Not sure Southampton will be keen to lose so many players so quickly.
Reply 7
I have sympathy with Lallana.

He's had a wonderful season, he's riding the crest of a wave and he's at a club that seems to be set to flounder. Shaw, Lambert and Lovren are all going, so it makes sense for him to revert his earlier statement. Obviously, he is quite a decent guy so he doesn't want to harm his relationship with the fans which is understandable. I don't think Saints fans can be too hateful.
If a player puts in a transfer request and the deal does not go through he gets endless stick from the home fans, and might even get sent to the reserves.

Secondly if he does not request a transfer then he is entitled to the same or higher wages at the buying club, if there is a shortfall the selling club has to make it up lest there be a breach of contract.

Quick Reply

Latest