The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Dilemma I would rate 4.4/10

Hey there guys!

To make a long story short, I got accepted by KCL for Law LLB (A*AA), changed my mind about doing law and going to a london uni to a degree. I am currently trying to get all A*'s in my A levels (4 A levels) to apply at something different next year.

I have done History and Economics, both yesterday and today in subsequent order. I know that people say that good students are generally pessimistic (I'm anonymous, so are you, I don't want to gloat, I work my ass off every day, I am a good student, though clearly not the best by far) about their exam results it has come to my attention that I might be getting only one A* and the rest A's.

So I have to ask you, what is YOUR personal opinion? Should I go to KCL if I end up getting these grades? Or should I attempt to apply next year if my heart is not with it? I would apply to History for the high up's (Durham, Exeter, Cambridge, which is why I wanted the A*'s in the first place).

Do you believe KCL is worth it? Convince me please!

Thank you all very much for devoting your time to reading this plea for help.
if your heart's not in it, i would advise you to re-apply.

i originally applied to universities for history & english joint honours, and realised during Y13 that i had no desire whatsoever to study either subject for three years. i took a gap year to re-apply for law, and it was the best thing i could have done. from my experience, i'd encourage you to apply for the subject you actually want to spend at least three years studying, because you're paying a hell of a lot for it and it's a big chunk of time! the last thing you want to do is regret your choice or wonder what might have been if you'd done history instead.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by arguendo

i originally applied to universities for history & english joint honours, and realised during Y13 that i had no desire whatsoever to study either subject for three years. i took a gap year to re-apply for law, and it was the best thing i could have done. from my experience, i'd encourage you to apply for the subject you actually want to spend at least three years studying, because you're paying a hell of a lot for it and it's a big chunk of time! the last thing you want to do is regret your choice or wonder what might have been if you'd done history instead.

Thank you so much for your time and answer!

If you do not mind me asking, what did you do during your gap year?
Original post by CodenamePingu
Thank you so much for your time and answer!

If you do not mind me asking, what did you do during your gap year?

I worked on and off - temp jobs and retail - nothing exciting, but I was able to save up a little money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by CodenamePingu
Hey there guys!

To make a long story short, I got accepted by KCL for Law LLB (A*AA), changed my mind about doing law and going to a london uni to a degree. I am currently trying to get all A*'s in my A levels (4 A levels) to apply at something different next year.

I have done History and Economics, both yesterday and today in subsequent order. I know that people say that good students are generally pessimistic (I'm anonymous, so are you, I don't want to gloat, I work my ass off every day, I am a good student, though clearly not the best by far) about their exam results it has come to my attention that I might be getting only one A* and the rest A's.

So I have to ask you, what is YOUR personal opinion? Should I go to KCL if I end up getting these grades? Or should I attempt to apply next year if my heart is not with it? I would apply to History for the high up's (Durham, Exeter, Cambridge, which is why I wanted the A*'s in the first place).

Do you believe KCL is worth it? Convince me please!

Thank you all very much for devoting your time to reading this plea for help.
As soon as I finished school, I rushed off to university. I ended up withdrawing after one semester and taking the year off. A gap year is a priceless experience that really helps you to put things in perspective and enjoy yourself and learn how to relax and work and pace yourself and I couldn't possibly recommend it more. I then reapplied, spending a lot more time and energy in perfecting my application, and received an unconditional offer to study my dream course at King's. And oh the genuine elation at receiving an unconditional offer! Not a day of coursework for months, no worrying about replies or meeting your offer, just a few clicks to firm and you're free. My gap year was the first time I could experience every moment of my life to the max, knowing I would be off to a degree course I was motivated to take on in September.

Original post by arguendo

Absolutely agree with this.

Quick Reply

Latest