The Student Room Group

Exam has ruined everything...

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I need some advice. I basically flopped an exam today and my university place was reliant on it :frown: I seriously need to think through my options now for next year - should I go through clearing or study a new A Level from home?

I refuse to go back to college and I am not retaking that exam again. Somebody please help, I feel so down...
Original post by RS94
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I need some advice. I basically flopped an exam today and my university place was reliant on it :frown: I seriously need to think through my options now for next year - should I go through clearing or study a new A Level from home?

I refuse to go back to college and I am not retaking that exam again. Somebody please help, I feel so down...

The first thing is to find out exactly what you got, and that means waiting for results day. We are never the best judge of how we've done in an exam, so try and get a grip. It's not going to be as bad as you think. You certainly shouldn't make any decisions about what to do next year right now. You will regret it. A safe option is to imagine you are beginning your Ucas form again and look at options you might consider if you don't get the grade you need from the university courses on offer this year. If there is something you like in clearing, then you are well researched in advance of the day, and if there isn't, you will know what kind of thing you can apply for next year. TBH, although you will find people advocating self study on here, it's not a route I would take and it requires great perseverance and motivation, plus a lot of resources and an exam centre willing to take you. Better to get a job and retake the exam next year, if you haven't found something to suit you in between. I know you say now that you are never retaking the exam, but that is a knee-jerk response and when you are calmer and more rational, it will seem like a better option than starting entirely from scratch without backup from teachers who know what the exam requires in the new subject. Just take a few deep breaths and try to calm down.
Reply 2
You really can't be certain how you've done in the exam; I've had exams in the past that I thought went horribly actually come out quite well, and vice versa. The best (and realistically, only) thing you can do is wait until results day and consider your options then. One bad exam doesn't necessarily mean you haven't gotten into uni. But if it really is troubling you and playing on your mind, consider your other options if you do miss out on your place. It might help you to put your mind at rest somewhat and give you a good idea of what to do if worst does come to worst.

For the record, I do know how you feel. I've already had a really bad exam (AQA's horrible FP3 :mad:) and I'm expecting another one in FP2, so I understand your worries on missing out on a place.
You don't know for certain how badly you've done, or how you've done on your other exams. So, for example if your offer is 300 points, and you only got a C on this exam but an A on another one you've still reached your offer. Even if your offer isn't points based, many students do get let in with slightly missed grades, especially in subjects not essential for the degree. Try not to panic too much- it's not worth stressing about for months when you may have done alright, actually.

There are pros and cons to both options you've proposed, and you don't need to decide yet. For example you can have a look at the clearing lists, decide you don't like anything after all, and decide to take a year out instead. Taking a year out and reapplying will probably be less stressful, you might even get some unconditional offers, depending on where you apply, so you won't have to go through a stressful results day again. Alternatively, you might see an awesome course in clearing and get a place and be really happy there come September. Don't forget though you may have to sort out accomadation and finances in a rush.

You don't need to come up with a fixed plan today.
Reply 4
Original post by carnationlilyrose
X

Original post by bootleg
X

I'm sorry to hear that you have also had a bad exam. I hope FP2 goes better than FP3!

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
X

Thank you all for your advice, I agree with you carnationlilyrose I should really get a grip but I just feel really anxious. I know the best option is to wait until results day and see, but I'm just so certain I will miss my offer. You see, I also did terribly in my AS exam last year and although I've retaken that exam this year I'm just not sure whether that'll be enough to achieve the grade I need. This is for my A-level in English Literature and Language by the way.

I really don't think I will retake this exam. Although it would be the easier option for next year I have struggled with this A-Level and I have no passion for it. It was my third A-level choice (didn't take a fourth) and out of the other subjects available - which were mainly the sciences - I had no choice but to really take on English as a subject. That's why I would potentially consider studying a fourth A Level so that I could actually achieve a decent enough grade for university.
Original post by RS94
I'm sorry to hear that you have also had a bad exam. I hope FP2 goes better than FP3!

Thank you all for your advice, I agree with you carnationlilyrose I should really get a grip but I just feel really anxious. I know the best option is to wait until results day and see, but I'm just so certain I will miss my offer. You see, I also did terribly in my AS exam last year and although I've retaken that exam this year I'm just not sure whether that'll be enough to achieve the grade I need. This is for my A-level in English Literature and Language by the way.

I really don't think I will retake this exam. Although it would be the easier option for next year I have struggled with this A-Level and I have no passion for it. It was my third A-level choice (didn't take a fourth) and out of the other subjects available - which were mainly the sciences - I had no choice but to really take on English as a subject. That's why I would potentially consider studying a fourth A Level so that I could actually achieve a decent enough grade for university.

That's a good plan for next year, but it sounds like the A-level isn't relevent to your degree. There are no guarentees, but there is a chance you could get in with a missed grade. Try not to feel to anxious, although I know that's easy for me to say!
Reply 6
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
That's a good plan for next year, but it sounds like the A-level isn't relevent to your degree. There are no guarentees, but there is a chance you could get in with a missed grade. Try not to feel to anxious, although I know that's easy for me to say!

Thank you. It's not really no, but it's something that I'd always wanted to take from the start of A-level but I wasn't able to due to subject block clashes :frown: I think it's something I would be good at, a lot better at than English anyway.

I hope the uni will be lenient but if not then I will put all of your advice to use and look at the other alternatives. Thanks again for your help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending