Muslim Homophobia vs Christian Homophobia

Watch
Poll: What are you?
I am a Muslim who is against homosexuality (9)
9.28%
I am a Muslim who is not against homosexuality (9)
9.28%
I am a Christian who is against homosexuality (6)
6.19%
I am a Christian who is not against homosexuality (10)
10.31%
I am non-religious and against homosexuality (7)
7.22%
I am non-religious and not against homosexuality (53)
54.64%
I am something else (please explain) (3)
3.09%
the_lost_boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Why is it that most of the homophobic threats on TSR are written by people with Arabic names? The stereotype is that people from Christian backgrounds are the world's biggest homophobes... however, just based off of what I've seen on TSR, it seems that Muslims are more against gay people than Christians.

Muslims and Christians, is this true?
Kimmy2014
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm Muslim and I don't mind people who are Gay, Lesbian etc... I mean it's their own preference and their life therefore they should be able to do whatever they want. It doesn't concern anyone else. Plus I find it sweet when people are in love. Don't see why people have to be so against something when it doesn't even involve them.
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh boy this is going to be popular
brownsugar-xx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
aw yiss got here early
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Technically they should have similar views, albeit more Christians would probably be able to be more ambiguous about it if they ignore the Old testament as the issue of homosexuality in the NT isn't as clear cut.

"For this reason [idolatry] God gave them up to passions of dishonor; for even their females exchanged the natural use for that which is contrary to nature, and likewise also the males, having left the natural use of the female, were inflamed by their lust for one another, males with males, committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was fitting for their error."

The above in Romans is probably the clearest criticism of homosexuality in the NT, albeit some folks still debate its precise meaning. Some say for instance this refers to heterosexuals changing their sexuality rather than men who never had an attraction to females, but personally I think that's a bit of a stretch.

The main reason you'll find more Christians in the west are mellowed out over homosexuality is that 21st century secular society has all but accepted it and in general the religious are less literal than they used to be, influenced by liberal ideas. Thus the faith has to adapt in order to stay relevant to the times, despite the fact it shouldn't as Gods word is unchanging. Islam hasn't faced this issue as much since in its homelands most nations are highly conservative culturally, gradually you'll probably get the same sort of divide you do between Christianity in the West and Christianity in some areas of Africa. Where you get people voting for laws to make homosexuality illegal, hell stone the gays pretty much, in some parts of Africa, but where Christians here would call it abhorrent. Same will happen with Islam and its already occurring really.
KingBradly
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Muslims in Britain have zero tolerance of homosexuality, says poll

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

UK study: 61% of Christians back equal rights for gay couples

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/02/14/uk-study-61-of-christians-back-equal-gay-rights/

In it's oh-so-lefty tolerance of Islam, TSR has incidentally become filled with Muslims, and unsurprisingly has become a hotbed of homophobia and Islamic religious conservatism. It's appalling really. But oh well. I don't like Christianity much, but most Muslims are evidently far more backwards than most Christians.
alexschmalex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm a Christian and I don't support/agree with homosexuality but at the same time, I honestly don't care if whoever I'm dealing with is gay or not (unless they are the stereotypical overly feminine dumb blonde male, people like that in general infuriate me) If that makes me a homophobe, I fail to see how.

I think it's the same for many Muslims as well, it's just that the more aggressively hateful minorities from all sides (christian/muslim/general redneck) are the loudest as well and give people the illusion that a large percentage of the groups are/feel that way
RoyalBlue7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People with Arabic names. Lol. I can recall only three users here with Arabic names and one of them don't even post out of the ISOC.

The KingBradly says that TSR has become filled with Muslims. May be his xenophobia has gone a little overboard these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingBradly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RoyalBlue7)
People with Arabic names. Lol. I can recall only three users here with Arabic names and one of them don't even post out of the ISOC.

The KingBradly says that TSR has become filled with Muslims. May be his xenophobia has gone a little overboard these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TIL that disliking a xenophobic ideology makes you a xenophobe. Does disliking fascism also make you a fascist?

I hate the fact this kind of logic is actually considered acceptable.
Mankytoes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alexschmalex)
I'm a Christian and I don't support/agree with homosexuality but at the same time, I honestly don't care if whoever I'm dealing with is gay or not (unless they are the stereotypical overly feminine dumb blonde male, people like that in general infuriate me) If that makes me a homophobe, I fail to see how.

I think it's the same for many Muslims as well, it's just that the more aggressively hateful minorities from all sides (christian/muslim/general redneck) are the loudest as well and give people the illusion that a large percentage of the groups are/feel that way
It depends by what you mean by you don't "agree" with homosexuality, I don't know what that means. I mean if I said "I don't have a problem with Christians, I just don't feel they should be given equal rights", would feel I was prejudiced against you or not?

The KingBradly says that TSR has become filled with Muslims
. May be his xenophobia has gone a little overboard these days.
It's confirmation bias.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
sorry I pressed the wrong button - I'm an atheist against homophobia, not homosexuality - the difference between the title and option misled me
the_lost_boy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
sorry I pressed the wrong button - I'm an atheist against homophobia, not homosexuality - the difference between the title and option misled me
Good to know. Don't worry about it.
RoyalBlue7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KingBradly)
TIL that disliking a xenophobic ideology makes you a xenophobe. Does disliking fascism also make you a fascist?

I hate the fact this kind of logic is actually considered acceptable.
TIL: that some islamophobes have the stupidity to consider Islam to be a xenophobic ideology or Muslims to be xenophobic.

TYML: TSR is or have never been filled with Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingBradly
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
TIL: that some islamophobes have the stupidity to consider Islam to be a xenophobic ideology or Muslims to be xenophobic.

TYML: TSR is or have never been filled with Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any ideology that asserts that those who don't follow it will burn in hell for eternity is by definition xenophobic. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, are all fundamentally xenophobic.

The fact you actually used the word 'islamophobe' pretty much sums up the kind of person you are. People who criticize an ideology should not have to be labelled a pejorative word. It's clearly incredibly stupid, and if you are unable to deduce that yourself then it says a lot about your own abilities of discernment.

Please watch this video and actually try and learn and think for yourself.

alexschmalex
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mankytoes)
It depends by what you mean by you don't "agree" with homosexuality, I don't know what that means. I mean if I said "I don't have a problem with Christians, I just don't feel they should be given equal rights", would feel I was prejudiced against you or not?
For me personally, it's that I don't believe it's natural (let's not even get into a whole argument on opinions), but I don't use/see it as a basis to discriminate against them either. Unless they're messed up pedos or murderers or things like that, I don't think anyone should be judged or made to feel worse for how they live their life, it isn't my job or right to do so
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Homosexuality is clearly prohibited in the Qur'an & Sunnah.

I don't mind homosexuals who aren't Muslim as they're disbelievers regardless and fall into that category. I'm against those who advocate homosexuality to be part of Islam, however.
Mankytoes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alexschmalex)
For me personally, it's that I don't believe it's natural (let's not even get into a whole argument on opinions), but I don't use/see it as a basis to discriminate against them either. Unless they're messed up pedos or murderers or things like that, I don't think anyone should be judged or made to feel worse for how they live their life, it isn't my job or right to do so
Do you disagree with everything that isn't natural, like travelling by car or immunising against disease? I'm not trying to have a go, but that's an odd reason to disagree with something.
imtelling
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by joey11223)
Technically they should have similar views, albeit more Christians would probably be able to be more ambiguous about it if they ignore the Old testament as the issue of homosexuality in the NT isn't as clear cut.

"For this reason [idolatry] God gave them up to passions of dishonor; for even their females exchanged the natural use for that which is contrary to nature, and likewise also the males, having left the natural use of the female, were inflamed by their lust for one another, males with males, committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the recompense which was fitting for their error."

The above in Romans is probably the clearest criticism of homosexuality in the NT, albeit some folks still debate its precise meaning. Some say for instance this refers to heterosexuals changing their sexuality rather than men who never had an attraction to females, but personally I think that's a bit of a stretch.

The main reason you'll find more Christians in the west are mellowed out over homosexuality is that 21st century secular society has all but accepted it and in general the religious are less literal than they used to be, influenced by liberal ideas. Thus the faith has to adapt in order to stay relevant to the times, despite the fact it shouldn't as Gods word is unchanging. Islam hasn't faced this issue as much since in its homelands most nations are highly conservative culturally, gradually you'll probably get the same sort of divide you do between Christianity in the West and Christianity in some areas of Africa. Where you get people voting for laws to make homosexuality illegal, hell stone the gays pretty much, in some parts of Africa, but where Christians here would call it abhorrent. Same will happen with Islam and its already occurring really.

Great, so let's at least give it another century or two before flooding the country with more of these followers.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by KingBradly)
Any ideology that asserts that those who don't follow it will burn in hell for eternity is by definition xenophobic. Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, are all fundamentally xenophobic.

The fact you actually used the word 'islamophobe' pretty much sums up the kind of person you are. People who criticize an ideology should not have to be labelled a pejorative word. It's clearly incredibly stupid, and if you are unable to deduce that yourself then it says a lot about your own abilities of discernment.

Please watch this video and actually try and learn and think for yourself.

I don't think using the term "islamophobe" is a particularly bad thing, as long as you use it correctly. It isn't for everyone who criticises Islam, just for those who see a Muslim and immediately assume that they embody all that is worst about Islam, and react to them accordingly. There are tolerant, reasonable Muslims too.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by the_lost_boy)
Why is it that most of the homophobic threats on TSR are written by people with Arabic names? The stereotype is that people from Christian backgrounds are the world's biggest homophobes... however, just based off of what I've seen on TSR, it seems that Muslims are more against gay people than Christians.

Muslims and Christians, is this true?
It depends on what exactly your definitions of "homophobia" (in your thread title) and "against homosexuality" (in your poll choices) are.

All Muslims are of the belief that the Qur'an is the word of God. And the Qur'an states in no uncertain terms that homosexuality is, for whatever reason, not something that Allah authorises. However, whether or not they are discriminatory towards homosexuals, or whether or not they think homosexual relationships and lifestyles should be illegal, or whether or not they personally have a problem with homosexual relationships are all separate issues. It's not really clear, at what point someone should be deemed to be "homophobic", or "against homosexuality". In particular, the term "homophobic" seems to necessitate that the feelings towards homosexuals are irrational - again, something that is very difficult to determine objectively.

A similar thing is true with Christians. However, Christians usually have greater flexibility when it comes to disagreeing with their holy book, as most do not believe it is verbatim the word of God, in the way that Muslims regard the Qur'an.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (56)
40%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
17.14%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
4.29%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (14)
10%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (15)
10.71%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (12)
8.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
9.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed