The Student Room Group

Becoming a professor in medicine

1- how many steps are there to become a professor in medicine?
2- Can you name the steps with their abbreviations?
3- Tell me how many years are there in each of the steps?
4- One of my friend has told me that you have to do 2 years of foundation and as far as I know the foundation is 2 years and you get paid? which step is the foundation program?
Thanks
Original post by Emad1993
1- how many steps are there to become a professor in medicine?
2- Can you name the steps with their abbreviations?
3- Tell me how many years are there in each of the steps?
4- One of my friend has told me that you have to do 2 years of foundation and as far as I know the foundation is 2 years and you get paid? which step is the foundation program?
Thanks

Lots. And it'll probably change several times over whilst you're still getting on the lower rungs of the ladder, so don't worry about what the precise steps are. If you're looking to go into academic medicine, then after 5-6 years of medical school, you'd apply for the academic foundation program (2 years) which a variant of the Foundation Program that all newly qualified doctors do and get paid for; after which you could apply for an ACF (academic clinical fellowship), and subsequently I think it's clinical lecturer type posts. Somewhere in there (around the ACF/next bit time) you'd need a PhD/MD.
Reply 2
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Lots. And it'll probably change several times over whilst you're still getting on the lower rungs of the ladder, so don't worry about what the precise steps are. If you're looking to go into academic medicine, then after 5-6 years of medical school, you'd apply for the academic foundation program (2 years) which a variant of the Foundation Program that all newly qualified doctors do and get paid for; after which you could apply for an ACF (academic clinical fellowship), and subsequently I think it's clinical lecturer type posts. Somewhere in there (around the ACF/next bit time) you'd need a PhD/MD.

for the foundation which is 2 years, does the university find you a place where you can work or you have to find by yourself?
Original post by Emad1993
for the foundation which is 2 years, does the university find you a place where you can work or you have to find by yourself?

The UKFPO (Foundation Program Office) run a nationalised application process in your final year of medical school. A computer algorithm matches you to a job hopefully in an area you wanted to be in.
Reply 4
Are you running before you can walk? The medicine wiki - top right under Useful Resources - will explain the basics.
Reply 5
Original post by HCubed
Are you running before you can walk? The medicine wiki - top right under Useful Resources - will explain the basics.

but it is good to know these stuff though
Reply 6
There's an article in the most recent student BMJ about academic medicine, have a look. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Beska
There's an article in the most recent student BMJ about academic medicine, have a look. :smile:

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending