What's English Literature at A2 like? (AQA) Watch

Ellen Jane
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I think my school does the AQA spec. B course for A2.

I'm carrying on Lit into A2, and since we begin our A2 classes in a week (having just finished AS exams) I wondered how much freedom we get with our choice of books. Are we allowed to pick any books we like for our coursework? Do you pick two books and do a comparison essay, or one book - etc?

Any info about Lit A2 would be really helpful - also, does the workload increase massively from AS to A2 in general?

One more question: I'm seriously considering taking up Creative Writing AS and A2 so I can finish Year 13 with four whole A Level qualifications. Do you think I would crumble under the strain of doing 4 subjects at A2? How much work is Creative Writing for those of you who have done it? (Bearing in mind I received full marks in my Lit coursework - I find writing pretty easy and fun).

Thanks.
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
scjman
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ellen Jane)

I'm carrying on Lit into A2, and since we begin our A2 classes in a week (having just finished AS exams) I wondered how much freedom we get with our choice of books. Are we allowed to pick any books we like for our coursework? Do you pick two books and do a comparison essay, or one book - etc?

Any info about Lit A2 would be really helpful - also, does the workload increase massively from AS to A2 in general?

One more question: I'm seriously considering taking up Creative Writing AS and A2 so I can finish Year 13 with four whole A Level qualifications. Do you think I would crumble under the strain of doing 4 subjects at A2? How much work is Creative Writing for those of you who have done it? (Bearing in mind I received full marks in my Lit coursework - I find writing pretty easy and fun).

Thanks.
You say you're doing the AQA Lit b course? Here's what we did

• Studied 1984 by George Orwell, then wrote a comparison essay comparing it with a text of our choice (mine being Brave New World by Aldous Huxley)
  • The other coursework essay is to do with critical interpretations (e.g. mine is about possible feminist perspectives of Dracula
  • The exam part was Elements of the Gothic. You may be doing this or you may be doing Elements of the Pastoral. Even if you will be doing the Gothic, you won't be necessarily doing the same texts (which were Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter and Dr Faustus by Christopher Marlowe)

What did you do for AS?
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks.
I've just finished this spec -
you have to do two pieces of cw one comparative, which is really liberal, you can choose your books and your title it's great!
The second you have an anthology and you can pick a subject to write on including - feminism, marxism, aesthetics and for this you can choose your book as well e.g. I chose the Wife of Bath's Tale by Chaucer argueing the extent to which it is a feminist text.

The exam, it's up to your school you can either study the gothic genre or the pastoral - I did pastoral which is really easy basically you just talk about how the countryside is bucolic and idyllic compared to the chartered town etc you have to cover 3 texts I did Brideshead Revisited, She Stoops to Conquer and Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience - you have 2 exam questions to answer in 2hours both 40 marks, the first question you answer a question specifically on one of the 3 texts studied, the second question you answer on all 3 texts and it will be a quite open question for example in my exam i answered - In the pastoral genre the passing of time is always nostalgic, discuss.
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pseudonymegg)
I've just finished this spec -
you have to do two pieces of cw one comparative, which is really liberal, you can choose your books and your title it's great!
You got to choose both texts? We only go to choose one of our texts. Which ones did you do?
Changing Skies
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks.
At my sixth form we chose our own texts and question which was great I chose gothic texts so I'd have wider reading for my exam it may vary at different schools though.

As for the workload, it really doesn't increase too much. The only real difference is the fact that it'll be a closed book exam so you'll have to memorise a lot of quotes. I enjoyed A2 much more than AS :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
pseudonymegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by scjman)
You got to choose both texts? We only go to choose one of our texts. Which ones did you do?
oh right my teacher said some schools don't get a choice which sucks

my question was something like "Parents f*** you up"- Philip Larkin. To what extent is this statement true in relation to Hard Times by Dickens and Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare?
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh right my teacher said some schools don't get a choice which sucks

my question was something like "Parents f*** you up"- Philip Larkin. To what extent is this statement true in relation to Hard Times by Dickens and Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare?
Ok sounds interesting. That would be a good one for R+J, with the Montague-Capulet feud. Not familiar with Hard Times though, but have read some of Dickens' other stories. Get good feedback for the essay?
pseudonymegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok sounds interesting. That would be a good one for R+J, with the Montague-Capulet feud. Not familiar with Hard Times though, but have read some of Dickens' other stories. Get good feedback for the essay?
yeah both texts fit the question really well - yeah I got 28/30 and 30/30 for my other piece, what about you??
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yeah both texts fit the question really well - yeah I got 28/30 and 30/30 for my other piece, what about you??
i got like Band 6 for both of my essays put together. One was comparing social attitudes towards sexual and family relationships in Oceania (1984) and the World State (Brave New World), the other was about feminist perspectives of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Very well done on yours! Did you enjoy the pastoral?
pseudonymegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i got like Band 6 for both of my essays put together. One was comparing social attitudes towards sexual and family relationships in Oceania (1984) and the World State (Brave New World), the other was about feminist perspectives of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Very well done on yours! Did you enjoy the pastoral?
ahh nice one cool sounds interesting, yeah I really liked it actually, thought it was quite easy to talk about, did you do the pastoral too?
pseudonymegg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ahh whoops just remembered you did the gothic, how was it?
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ahh nice one cool sounds interesting, yeah I really liked it actually, thought it was quite easy to talk about, did you do the pastoral too?
No, I did the Gothic. I did Frankenstein, The Bloody Chamber and Dr Faustus. Pretty interesting I thought
scjman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thanks.
Here is a link to a thread I started, containing both of my A2 coursework essays

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2710296
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
9.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.84%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.49%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.43%

Watched Threads