The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Danithestudent
DON'T SHOUT AT ME. Hehe, no honest to god I just asked my mum about something PQ told me which sounded like a good idea (Taking your overdraft and sticking it in a high interest savings account and then putting everything in an ISA during the hols) but she said you can't get them anymore.

So don't shoot the messenger...because she isn't the one that said it in the first place.

Just saying :smile: I would never shout at you, would I? :wink:
Gimp
Just saying :smile: I would never shout at you, would I? :wink:

I drink too much alcohol to make such memories
Reply 42
Danithestudent
I drink too much alcohol to make such memories

*gets Dani a drink* (glandular fever free, too! honest :tongue:)
Reply 43
4Ed
was there any reason for this? announced in brown's budget no doubt...

The changes to ISA's have been brought in to simplify the process, which the treasury believes is putting off people with small amounts to invest. The maximum amount that you can put into an ISA in a tax year will also fall from £7000 to £5000.

I was unaware that ISA's have become temporarily unavailable (and as far as I know this is untrue), but then Im not the accountant..
Reply 44
Ok, I know what Dani is referring to.

ISA's are not unavailable, but changes have been made to them (which came into effect from 6th April).

Tax credits have been scrapped, which basically means that ISA's are less beneficial for most. I cant be bothered explaining it in any more detail than that, but ISA's are definetly still available.
Reply 45
hmm too confusing. as long as i'm not taxed for the savings themselves...