Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabstrawberry)
    I didn't know where to post this..

Ok so basically, I'm 14 and I've always hated PE. I'm not even fat, I weigh about 7 stone. It always made me feel sick to my stomach, everything about it. And just about 2-3 months ago I was diagnosed with anxiety. I've been talking to the school nurse for like 2 months and she agreed that although obviously she promotes exercise since she's a nurse, she thinks that it would be better for me not to be in the typical PE environment. She emailed my guidance teacher about 4 times (during the course of a month) He never once replied to any of them, he's the type of 'guidance teacher' that doesn't actually give a **** about your problems, always promises to sort things out and never does..

So last week and this week I've just not gone at all. I've also skived it a lot before but managed to get away with it somehow.
    But I realized that if I'm going to properly never go to it (when I skived before I would make an appearance at least once a week) then I'm going to have to think of something else rather than saying I have appointments all the time.
    But if it comes down to it and I get pulled out of class or something for it then I'm basically just going to say I'm refusing to do it because of my anxiety. My parents also know that I don't go to PE. They honestly don't care, as long as I go to all my other subjects then it's fine, they know I've always hated PE and now that I'm older they don't see any point forcing it on me.
    So I suppose my question is, has anyone done this before, known someone who's done it, outcomes etc? I know they're going to try and ''have a chat'' with me or something and try convince me to do it, but I'm adamant haha. They can't make me do it. I don't care if I failed PE or whatever. I'm also in general a good pupil, never been suspended or anything like that.. So yeah thanks if anyone actually read that c:
    A few of my friends didn't like doing PE, they just didn't do it, they turned up and stood there and the teachers just got fed up after a few weeks and started to let them off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabstrawberry)
    X
    Forget the school nurse, she has no real power. Go and see a doctor and get a medical note from him explaining the situation. You can then be exempt on medical grounds and the school cannot disregard this.

ReputationRep:
    I was in this exact situation! I was happy participating some weeks depending on what we were doing but some things i just couldn't make myself do it! Rounders was the worst, i'd absolutely dread it! My school have been really supportive of my mental health though so they didn't really mind - i just participated the weeks i wanted to and stood at the side on the weeks i didn't. They can't make you do it and nothing disastrous is going to happen - just don't let anyone try to make you feel guilty or horrible about it! It's PE, you don''t need it and it's not going to help you! It's just one of those pointless subjects that unfortunately you're supposed to do! Hope everything works out for you!

ReputationRep:
    thanks guyss,
    but im not sure the doctor would get me out of PE completely 'just' because of my anxiety?
    I mean I don't wanna make an appointment and everything if she's just gonna say that I still have to do PE..

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how your school's set up or anything so it's kinda hard to judge~ but I often hated pe and one of my friends couldn't stand it but because our teachers were so awful anyway we just used to go in and get changed with everyone but then stay in the changing room when they called us out.. They never even noticed! Quite a few were doing it on various weeks by the end~ then when we got into year ten/eleven we could choose (as a group) what to do and invariably the sporty popular idiots would choose rounders or netball or something and we just used to ask to go in the gym which meant sitting on rowing machines or those big balls and talking and then someone keeping watch and if a teacher came we would all start for like five minutes to actually do something xD honestly pe was so bad... But also with the skiving thing I used to hate drama when I was in year eight and I just wouldn't go and mum eventually found out 'cause I was 'feeling ill' every Friday morning and so she marched me into pastoral (I think this might be like your guidance teachers or something?) and told them and I cried and stuff 'cause I'm a baby but it was so so good because they moved me into another group and said if I didn't want to do it at any time - because I was a good student and whatnot - I could just go and take a book and sit in the library.. As it happened I loved the new group but it was so worth doing (talking directly to them) and yes... Sorry I don't even know what I've said.. Hope something in that helps~ Oh! And also even if you really really hate it now try not to worry too much because (again I don't know your school sorry so it might be different~) but many schools change it in key stage 4 (like we went down to only one hour a week~ and could choose (within limits) what to do~) which is great.. Also teachers become aware that other things are more important than pe which isn't even towards an exam or anything so like I kept being let off to finish coursework an stuff (which I purposefully spent agesss on to skip pe!) so yeah try not to worry too much 'cause it might get better next year! ^__^ sorry that's so super long~ I hope some of it maybe helps o.O

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    shoot that's long o.O I'm on my phone and never notice~ sorry!c:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mubariz)
    A few of my friends didn't like doing PE, they just didn't do it, they turned up and stood there and the teachers just got fed up after a few weeks and started to let them off.
    That's pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    That's pathetic.
    Manchester United is pathetic.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Deal with it :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Manchester United is pathetic.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Deal with it :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No but it really is pathetic

ReputationRep:
    No but it really is pathetic
    I don't see what is, they don't want to do PE, they refuse to, and nothing can be done about it because you cannot force it upon them.

Care to share what you feel is so pathetic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what is, they don't want to do PE, they refuse to, and nothing can be done about it because you cannot force it upon them.

Care to share what you feel is so pathetic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can I refuse to do maths? English? History? No, I hated history but I still did it rather than acting like a spoilt child because that's how school and the world works, sometimes you have to do things that you may not want to do.

ReputationRep:
    What if you got a note from your parents excusing you from P.E.? that would work with my school anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Can I refuse to do maths? English? History? No, I hated history but I still did it rather than acting like a spoilt child because that's how school and the world works, sometimes you have to do things that you may not want to do.
    Difference is you actually need to be able to use simple maths skills and English skills, you have no need for PE.

Plus they exercised themselves, they just didn't want to do it in front of everybody else and look like a mong, which I accepted.

If you don't want to do something you have the right to complain, you can make change happen, if every thought like you then the suffragette movement wouldn't have happened ed and apartheid would still exist

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Difference is you actually need to be able to use simple maths skills and English skills, you have no need for PE.

Plus they exercised themselves, they just didn't want to do it in front of everybody else and look like a mong, which I accepted.

If you don't want to do something you have the right to complain, you can make change happen, if every thought like you then the suffragette movement wouldn't have happened ed and apartheid would still exist

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maths and English, fair enough. But for pretty much the rest of the curriculum, it won't be any more useful in later life than PE. Do I actually need to know how the tudors lived? No, of course not, but for some reason PE is the only subject that people think it's okay to skive.

Lol yeah, people always say that, but I know the type of people who skived PE. They were normally fat and/or unfit, and did no exercise. Not saying that's the case for your friends, but in general.

It's completely different. There's nothing wrong with PE.

ReputationRep:
    I skived PE for three weeks in year 11 and got severely *******ed by my head of year and forced to apologise to my teacher. I was working in the library at the time and he essentially told me off for being conscientious towards my GCSEs. Starting A2 in September, and my old head of year still gives me a dirty look when we pass in the corridors.

ReputationRep:
    Maths and English, fair enough. But for pretty much the rest of the curriculum, it won't be any more useful in later life than PE. Do I actually need to know how the tudors lived? No, of course not, but for some reason PE is the only subject that people think it's okay to skive.

Lol yeah, people always say that, but I know the type of people who skived PE. They were normally fat and/or unfit, and did no exercise. Not saying that's the case for your friends, but in general.

It's completely different. There's nothing wrong with PE.
    As far as I know PE is not compulsory, we went to an Academy of that actually changes anything.

History helps with your analytical skills, the skills you build here are skills in English.

If somebody wants to skive PE for whatever reason, they can, if it isn't compulsory there is a reason. I'd say the same for art, I don't see why I have to sit and paint some banana for an hour if I decide I don't want to, and we were allowed to sit there and do another subject if we wanted to in art, which shows the teachers didn't care much either.

They may well be fat or unfit but that doesn't give you any reason to rip at them, they could say the same for "less intelligent people" who do BTEC sport instead of "real A Levels" but that's wrong too.

If somebody doesn't want to do anything that isn't necessary then they should be made to.

Somebody may not want to do PE for a number of reasons, it may be because they can't be bothered of course, but anxiety could be one, fear of being bullied could be another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know PE is not compulsory, we went to an Academy of that actually changes anything. [/SIZE]
    Well if it's not compulsory then I take everything back, of course they don't have to do it. But in my school it was, and I've never heard of it not being compulsory apart from in sixth form. And from what you said here:

it sounds like it was compulsory.

History helps with your analytical skills, the skills you build here are skills in English.
    PE helps with your teamwork skills.

They may well be fat or unfit but that doesn't give you any reason to rip at them, they could say the same for "less intelligent people" who do BTEC sport instead of "real A Levels" but that's wrong too.
    Them being fat and unfit isn't the reason for ripping them, it's them being lazy and spoilt.

Somebody may not want to do PE for a number of reasons, it may be because they can't be bothered of course, but anxiety could be one, fear of being bullied could be another.
    I myself used to get incredibly anxious in some lessons, any lesson where we had to do a presentation or read in front of the class. But that didn't mean I could just skive, you have to face your fears.

ReputationRep:
    Well if it's not compulsory then I take everything back, of course they don't have to do it. But in my school it was, and I've never heard of it not being compulsory apart from in sixth form. And from what you said here:

it sounds like it was compulsory.

PE helps with your teamwork skills.

Them being fat and unfit isn't the reason for ripping them, it's them being lazy and spoilt.

I myself used to get incredibly anxious in some lessons, any lesson where we had to do a presentation or read in front of the class. But that didn't mean I could just skive, you have to face your fears.
    It was never compulsory in our school, the PE teachers ways made us think it was, but it wasn't.

Other lessons can help with your teamwork skills, E. G doing a team activity in English.

Lazy and spoilt? If it's not compulsory then it's choice they can choose not to and I don't think they are either, if it is compulsory I wouldn't have a problem with them actually skiving tbh, PE isn't important no matter how much you say it is

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.