The Student Room Group

Edexcel June 6th M1 exam

Wasn't sure if there was a thread on this so I though I'd make one. I'm really worried about kinematics and vectors. If a ball moves upwards, is the acceleration due to gravity -9.8m/s^2?
Original post by Archurus23
Wasn't sure if there was a thread on this so I though I'd make one. I'm really worried about kinematics and vectors. If a ball moves upwards, is the acceleration due to gravity -9.8m/s^2?

Yes, it's -9.8m/s^2, but that only applies to half of the curve, because the other half is the ball falling down, changing acceleration due to gravity to 9.8m/s^2
Reply 2
Thank you. I'm still screwed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. I'm still screwed

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you're not. Were all in it together bro, if everyone does badly then grade boundaries will be low, considering how everyone has been complaining for C2, good luck bro :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lilypear
No you're not. Were all in it together bro, if everyone does badly then grade boundaries will be low, considering how everyone has been complaining for C2, good luck bro :smile:

Thank you but you do realise I'm aiming for an A right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends. You have to choose a positive direction as there are vector quantities involved. For example:

a ball is projected in the air at 5 ms-1 from 10 metres above ground level. The ball hits the ground at 15 ms-1.
If you take upwards as positive:
S = -10
U = 5
V = -15
A= -9.8
T = ?

However, if you took downwards as positive:
S = 10
U = -5
V = 15
A = 9.8
T= ?