Lamalam
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Attachment 291835Attachment 291836

In here I know benzene is more stable and I gor stuck and cannot procees to think that more energy is required to break bonds in benzene , I once draw a energy diagram and that the benzene is at a lower energy level than cyclohexane , but then should benzene requires less energy to break the bond?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lamalam)
Attachment 291835Attachment 291836

In here I know benzene is more stable and I gor stuck and cannot procees to think that more energy is required to break bonds in benzene , I once draw a energy diagram and that the benzene is at a lower energy level than cyclohexane , but then should benzene requires less energy to break the bond?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Benzene is indeed lower in energy and the separated atoms are at very high energy. This means that more energy is needed to break benzene apart (the bonds are stronger than expected due to delocalisation energy)
Lamalam
Rep:
(Original post by charco)
Benzene is indeed lower in energy and the separated atoms are at very high energy. This means that more energy is needed to break benzene apart (the bonds are stronger than expected due to delocalisation energy)
Does it mean that I wont see it from the diagram coz it seems to me that shorter energy level "distance" from the product in the energy diagram seems to require less heat @@

Posted from TSR Mobile
charco
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Does it mean that I wont see it from the diagram coz it seems to me that shorter energy level "distance" from the product in the energy diagram seems to require less heat @@

Posted from TSR Mobile
click around this interactive on benzene .... it may help.
Lamalam
Rep:
Thanks. it really helps ! Can u correct me if I am wrong ?
Benzene is at a lower energy level than the (cyclohexene *3 ) so benzene is more stable than the (cyclohexene*3) , since less energy is released in the reaction from benzene to cyclohaxane, compared to the (cyclohexene *3 ) , I relatively need to supply more energy into benzene t break the bond. Is my cause and consequence here [email protected]@

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lamalam
Rep:
(Original post by charco)
click around this interactive on benzene .... it may help.
Benzene is at a lower energy level than the (cyclohexene *3 ) so benzene is more stable than the (cyclohexene*3) , since less energy is released in the reaction from benzene to cyclohaxane, compared to the (cyclohexene *3 ) , I relatively need to supply more energy into benzene t break the bond. Is my cause and consequence here [email protected]@

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
charco
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Partially.

The energy required to break the bonds would be the bond enthalpy for the benzene CC bonds.

These are relatively stronger and hence more energy is needed.

The energy released by forming the bonds in the products is the same in all cases. Hence the overall energy change of the reaction is E(bond enthalpy benzene) - E(bond enthalpy products) = reaction enthalpy.

As the reaction enthalpy is less negative then the E(bond enthalpy benzene) must be more positive, i.e. the bonds are stronger = more stable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.59%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.68%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.59%

Watched Threads