The Student Room Group

Why do people wear glasses?

Scroll to see replies

Some prescriptions you can't get in contacts, they also cost like £20 a month (well my sisters do) so for someone on a tight budget it;s not really an option.
I personally would opt for contacts if I could afford them and if it ever gets to that.
Forgot how it was like wearing glasses.
Laser eye surgery is a miracle.
I love wearing my glasses, I have two pairs and can't imagine not putting them on in the morning. Glasses are no longer a symbol of being a nerd, I think people look cute with them on :smile:
Some people hate touching their eyes or things in their eyes, it just creeps them out. Others it actually dries their eyes out and/or irritates them. Others like the look of glasses, they can make a good fashion accessory, or can even make you look quite intelligent (one reason I like them, although I would prefer not to have to wear them).

The main reason for me is expense. I'd rather pay £200 for some glasses that will last me a couple of years than have to pay £20-25 every month.

Also I get scared I will forget to take them out and apparently they can in some cases break in your eye or get stuck, which frightens the hell out of me!
I wear contacts pretty much every day when I'm going out, but I won't bother if I'm just lounging about the house.
I don't get all these people who say they're fiddly or can't be bothered with them? They take less than a minute to put in and take out? I have monthly ones, and if you really want to you can sleep in them and just change them every month (obviously not as hygienic but with a high oxygen permeability won't cause infection). I usually take them in and out every day to avoid stickiness when my eyes are tired.
There isn't really a risk of infection unless you really never look after your eyes. I can't really think of any situation where they'd get dirty enough to cause a problem?

The only disadvantage is that my contacts don't correct my astigmatism, and I can't wear toric lenses because I have really strong eyelids (weird, huh?). But they're fine for day to day use and there isn't much difference at all.
Well I need them to see and I've to wear mine 24/7 but tbh I sometimes think I suit wearing glasses more than not wearing them though I do have a habit of taking them off a lot when I'm taking a pic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sazzy890
Also I get scared I will forget to take them out and apparently they can in some cases break in your eye or get stuck, which frightens the hell out of me!

Someone told me if you leave them in overnight they can slide to the back of your eye & cut into the nerves or whatever that connect your eyes to your brain which scared me off contacts.
Reply 47
Contacts can be dangerous so can laser eye surgery. Why risk your eyesight over a piece of metal and glass on your head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To see?

I actually went to a contact lens fitting and walked out because I can't deal with people touching my eyes, I really want to be able to wear them but I have an irrational fear that I won't be able to get the lens out afterwards .
Reply 49
Short sighted. I only wear glasses, never contact lenses. I don't like mucking around with stuff like that. With glasses, I can put them on whenever I want and take the off whenever, just much more convenient.
Glasses are more convenient, and I don't give a toss whether or not some guy is looking at me on the street and thinking 'ew what a minger' or whatever. Actually, I'd prefer a lack of sexual advances. Hooray for being unattractive.

Apart from that, I used to wear contact lenses after my mother persuaded me to for a spell. They gave me eye ulcers because my eyes are weird, I guess. And they kept splitting on my eye. Glasses are more convenient and less dangerous. The ulcer could have left a scar and a blind spot in my vision and I think I'm already blind enough, thank you. :biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by Hertz
Contacts can be dangerous so can laser eye surgery. Why risk your eyesight over a piece of metal and glass on your head.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile
They cost too much and can take time I usually don't have in the morning to put in - I also had one move up round my eye once

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why? They're just so h-o-t.

Reply 54
Original post by BWV1007
I'm short-sighted so I have been wearing glasses for the past 6 years... but I was just wondering why don't people opt for contact lenses instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just find contact lenses uncomfortable personally. I wear them sometimes when I want to look my best but I do prefer the feel of glasses. Contacts just irritate me.
I work in an Opticians part times and one of the questions I have to ask as part of a pre-screening survey is “Would you like to know if you are suitable for contact lenses?” When they say no it’s really only ever three reasons. 1. They’ve tried it before and didn’t like it or it was uncomfortable. 2. They already know they are because their eyes are too dry or they have astigmatism or 3. They don’t like the idea of putting their fingers near their eyes and just prefer glasses.
Original post by BWV1007
I'm short-sighted so I have been wearing glasses for the past 6 years... but I was just wondering why don't people opt for contact lenses instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
They're more expensive than glasses
They're more fiddly than glasses
It requires you to stick your finger in your eye
They can be uncomfortable for some people

Need I go on?

I definitely agree. As I'm incredibly long sighted the only contacts available to me were hard lenses as opposed to the soft lenses - even then I couldn't get monthlies, they had to last me for the whole year. They're weren't very comfortable and tbh I'm used to wearing glasses
may be more convenient than glasses lens
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 58
Allergy, specifically a dust allergy, so its all year round, and contacts and itchy eyes don't go well together. I've worn contacts in the past and I hate wearing glasses and the way they make me look, but contacts are quite a hassle and there's nothing worse than being out and about with painful eyes and not being able to do anything about it. Though I will go back to them one day.
(edited 9 years ago)
Glasses help to centre lazy eyes because of their lenses, contacts can't do this!

Quick Reply

Latest