The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 revision thread!

Scroll to see replies

If anybody has any model answers for any debates in Section B please share them. I'm finding it more difficult to write for the debates compared to the approaches.
does any one else agree that you can use dement and kleitman for biological approach due to scientific equipment and the measurement of a biological process?
I've written answers for determinism/free will, reductionism/holism, psychology as a science and points on usefulness in good time. I really hope one of these comes up if an approach doesn't as they're so generic and can be applied to anything. I'd be so depressed if observation/self-report/correlation/experiment came up ;((

Hopefully OCR are nice to us

Original post by jodieibbs

wondered if someone could give me some guidance on these, hate the part e's, really dont understand them :frown:

I've found that with section e, looking back through all the questions that have come up, they'll either ask you about the usefulness of the research; or how it helps in every day life. Although they could ask you anything, it will always be regarding a strength or a weakness (usefulness is the key one) so just make sure you're clear on all the strengths and weaknesses that you'll cover in section c, and be prepared to build on them for section e.

Original post by emmalousie6
does any one else agree that you can use dement and kleitman for biological approach due to scientific equipment and the measurement of a biological process?

Yeah; it's a physiological study.
(edited 9 years ago)
What kind of things would you say for usefulness of research? Like For example high ecological validity so research can be applied to everyone etc etc..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
What kind of things would you say for usefulness of research? Like For example high ecological validity so research can be applied to everyone etc etc..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This one is quite generic you could basically talk about every evaluation issue? So I'm not revising this one because it's quite simple anyway. Just psychology as a science which is slightly confusing for me

I guess but that wouldn't be my strong point. I'd just refer to how much of the research is reductionist, therefore scientific by reducing behaviour to down, allowing a cause and effect relationship to occur which may predict and prevent behaviour. Links would be to wikstrom where he suggests environment determines behaviour and puts forward preventation methods (extra ciriculum activities)

and, how behaviour can be treated.
Yochelson and samenow, faulty thinking patterns and gudjohnsson, social cognition, treated by CBT etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah that sort of thing!

internal validity makes it useful as you know that the IV affected the DV and not an EV or a CV instead. so then can be applied to 'real-life'

reliability of measurements makes it useful as you know that participants havent lied, no demand characteristics, no social desirability etc, so can apply it again

population validity as it represents the population which it was supposed to, so results can be generalised to the wider target population

hope that helps!
Original post by socially inept
This one is quite generic you could basically talk about every evaluation issue? So I'm not revising this one because it's quite simple anyway. Just psychology as a science which is slightly confusing for me

as a science you just need to discuss its replicability, falsifiability and reliability!

so whether or not if it was conducted in another country would the same results be shown, whether or not it can be proven wrong by another explanation and then if you can replicate it again (whether or not enough detail is explained, ethnocentrism etc!)
Original post by emmalousie6
as a science you just need to discuss its replicability, falsifiability and reliability!

so whether or not if it was conducted in another country would the same results be shown, whether or not it can be proven wrong by another explanation and then if you can replicate it again (whether or not enough detail is explained, ethnocentrism etc!)

Thank you :smile:
What does it mean by alternate experimental design?

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey guys i'm in need of some help

I'm going through the 12 mark questions on debates, and the questions focus on an approach but don't mention the debate which all the other questions are focused on. Do you still need to link back to the debate in these questions?

e.g. 'discuss the strengths and weaknesses of using the physiological explanations of behaviour' , all the other questions are about determinism and freewill

the letter e questions are also written in this way D:

thanks in advance
What does it mean by alternate experimental design?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Repeated measures, matched pairs or independent measures.

If you use one of them (say RM) then you'd briefly describe how you'd do the same experiment using a MP or IM design. :smile:
Original post by lorrieeista
hey guys i'm in need of some help

I'm going through the 12 mark questions on debates, and the questions focus on an approach but don't mention the debate which all the other questions are focused on. Do you still need to link back to the debate in these questions?

e.g. 'discuss the strengths and weaknesses of using the physiological explanations of behaviour' , all the other questions are about determinism and freewill

the letter e questions are also written in this way D:

thanks in advance

You wouldn't need to link it back. The 12 marker is basically like the 12 marker from AS (G542 section C). So you just do strengths and weaknesses of the approach but make sure you explain them in much more detail.

:smile:
Original post by socially inept
You wouldn't need to link it back. The 12 marker is basically like the 12 marker from AS (G542 section C). So you just do strengths and weaknesses of the approach but make sure you explain them in much more detail.

thank you :smile:
For the procedure in section A if it was correlations...
could you measure behaviour through observation??
or do you have to use self report??
with part e questions, what am i even supposed to revise - there's so many possibilities D: ?
In the section B on the strengths and weaknesses question do we need to use studies to back up the strengths and weaknesses? or literally just state general strengths and weaknesses of the approach/debate/issue as a whole?
Sorry if this has already been asked, but could someone give me a simple guideline of how to answer d and e questions in section B?

For the D questions, do you just compare strengths and weaknesses? And for E questions, is there a basic structure I can follow?
I'm so stressing for this exam in case they give us two issues, been revising straight. Apart from walking my dog now and again the only 'exercise' in the past four days are continuous walks to the fridge :rolleyes:

Original post by Suspicious Minds
Sorry if this has already been asked, but could someone give me a simple guideline of how to answer d and e questions in section B?

For the D questions, do you just compare strengths and weaknesses? And for E questions, is there a basic structure I can follow?

Explained on page four. We've pretty much gone through nearly everything now; so all the guidelines are in this thread. As well as all possible model answers for section A and a few for section B.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by brucelee01
with part e questions, what am i even supposed to revise - there's so many possibilities D: ?

I don't think there's a set structure for these questions. Just think on the day I guess, lol

Original post by harrietcarr
In the section B on the strengths and weaknesses question do we need to use studies to back up the strengths and weaknesses? or literally just state general strengths and weaknesses of the approach/debate/issue as a whole?

Yeah, you need to use the evidence that supports your strengths + weaknesses (only use the relevant part of the study)

Original post by Suspicious Minds

Part d you need to do 2 similarities and 2 differences and for part e there isn't a proper structure

For part d you just explain your similarity, then explain another similarity e.g. The physiological approach gathers quantitative data therefore researchers can statistically analyse the data to identify trends/patterns as objective data is gained. For example, in Maguire's study gathered quantitative data through pixel counting (of the grey matter in the hippocampus of taxi drivers and controls). Similarly, the social approach gathers quantitative data which means that researchers can objectively analyse data to identify patterns and conduct statistical analysis. For example, in Piliavin's study quantitative data was gained through counting the number of times participants helped the victim in the trials.

I think ^ this would get 4 marks then you'd do the same for differences?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending