Sci Fi/Fantasty Novel Society!!

Watch
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Here's a great place to just chill out and discuss your favourite Sci Fi/Fantasy books and generally chat with like minded people!!

:jive:

I'll get us started:
What's everyone's favourite Sci Fi/Fantasy book?
easyastau
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ooo yay!

My all-time favourite is The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy.

My other favourites include Eragon and Eldest, The Hobbit and LOTR and Girl Genius

Oh and Peter Pan in Scarlett.

...I like books... There's many more
priya8D
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
watching this thread for recommedations
ManifoldManifest
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All the China Mieville. Perdido Street for Weird Fantasy, Kraken for Urban Fantasy, and Embassytown for Sci-Fi.
BP_Tranquility
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I enjoyed Star Trek: Crossover which features McCoy, Spock, Scotty from TOS and the TNG crew. Good book if you're into the TV series.
CF25
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Foundation series.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by BP_Tranquility)
I enjoyed Star Trek: Crossover which features McCoy, Spock, Scotty from TOS and the TNG crew. Good book if you're into the TV series.
I never knew star trek had book stuff as well as TV! Learn something new every day!
The Nail
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Starting to read the Discworld novels, bought 'The Colour of Magic' last week, really enjoying it.

Hopefully I will end up with the entire series of books, I know there are currently 40 of them.
msymphony
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Nail)
Starting to read the Discworld novels, bought 'The Colour of Magic' last week, really enjoying it.

Hopefully I will end up with the entire series of books, I know there are currently 40 of them.
Read all of them! I'm 38 down, 2 to go and not at all obsessed. Personally I found 'The Colour of Magic' a little lacklustre compared to some, but I'm glad you're enjoying it
madamemerle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ManifoldManifest)
All the China Mieville. Perdido Street for Weird Fantasy, Kraken for Urban Fantasy, and Embassytown for Sci-Fi.
:thumbsup:

Mine:
J.G. Ballard- The Crystal World
M. John Harrison - Empty Space
Philip K. **** - Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said
Ursula K. Le Guin - The Left Hand of Darkness
Walter Tevis - Mockingbird
Geoff Ryman - The Child Garden
William Gibson - All Tomorrow's Parties
Ted Chiang - Stories of Your Life and Others
Justina Robson - Natural History
Alastair Reynolds - Redemption Ark

What's the most recent SF book you've read and enjoyed? I'm reading Leviathan Wakes by James Corey right now, which has everything I normally like in a modern escapist hard-ish Sci Fi novel but I can't seem to get sucked in....
ManifoldManifest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by madamemerle)
:thumbsup:

Ted Chiang - Stories of Your Life and Others
I loved this collection. Really wish I could find more Chiang to read. He's a bit like a less ghosty, more sci-fi Tim Powers at times. The title story and the one about the ability to recognise beauty were particularly good.

What's the most recent SF book you've read and enjoyed? I'm reading Leviathan Wakes by James Corey right now, which has everything I normally like in a modern escapist hard-ish Sci Fi novel but I can't seem to get sucked in....
I've been enjoying the Petrovich books, by Simon Morden. AIs, post-nuclear war London, CIA killers, and a sweary Russian physicist of a protagonist.
madamemerle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ManifoldManifest)
I loved this collection. Really wish I could find more Chiang to read. He's a bit like a less ghosty, more sci-fi Tim Powers at times. The title story and the one about the ability to recognise beauty were particularly good.
Yes, the title story is just perfect. When I try to explain to people why I love SF short stories, that's usually one of my go to examples - short story perfection.

Have you read his "The Lifecycle of Software Objects" - I liked that very much, too.

I've been enjoying the Petrovich books, by Simon Morden. AIs, post-nuclear war London, CIA killers, and a sweary Russian physicist of a protagonist.
Ooo, will check these out, is it an alternate universe cold war series? I'm reading the Manhattan Projects comics at the moment which is a fun counterfactual coldwar history.
Tom_green_day
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My favourite sci-fi book is The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke.
I also really like City by Clifford Simak but it was very depressing.
ManifoldManifest
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
[QUOTE=madamemerle;48096998]Yes, the title story is just perfect. When I try to explain to people why I love SF short stories, that's usually one of my go to examples - short story perfection.

Have you read his "The Lifecycle of Software Objects" - I liked that very much, too. [quote]
I've not read it, but will check it out. I recently enjoyed Store of The Worlds by Robert Sheckley. A little dated and cheesy in places, but the good stories in it are well worth it.

Ooo, will check these out, is it an alternate universe cold war series? I'm reading the Manhattan Projects comics at the moment which is a fun counterfactual coldwar history.
No, it's near future, after "Armageddonist" terrorists with dirty bombs have ruined most of the world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (208)
57.46%
I don't have everything I need (154)
42.54%

Watched Threads