?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello all,

My boyf, who, despite, his grades is v.v.clever, got:

physics - U
chem - E
computing - E
further maths - D

Crap, yes, we all know it's not good. Should he quit while he's ahead? Is there any chance of him ever being able to study his beloved BEng in mechanical engineering? Where?!

If he did a BTEC and used that to apply to uni, could he perhaps get exemption from the first year as he has already done AS levels (most people enter after GCSE)?

Cheers all,
Han
CityMonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FizzPopSpan)
Hello all,

My boyf, who, despite, his grades is v.v.clever, got:

physics - U
chem - E
computing - E
further maths - D

Crap, yes, we all know it's not good. Should he quit while he's ahead? Is there any chance of him ever being able to study his beloved BEng in mechanical engineering? Where?!

If he did a BTEC and used that to apply to uni, could he perhaps get exemption from the first year as he has already done AS levels (most people enter after GCSE)?

Cheers all,
Han

If he is failing his physics and getting a D in his maths, how can he be sure that he really will enjoy/be able to do mechanical engineering anywhere, let alone a good university? If his grades are because of personal circumstances then that might make things a bit different, but a U in physics at AS level is going to put any university off.

Engineering needs a lot of physics and maths and given his performance he might not be very suited to engineering, even if he has a passion for it.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Meh I got crappy A levels but went through a foundation year to get me onto a BEng in mechanical engineering. Thats one route.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
He doesn't sound very "clever".
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, my friend got DDE for alevels and got into Queen Mary to do a foundation course and got a 1st for Mechanical Engineering. Anything is possible.
FizzPopSpan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks, thats good encouragement.

I think it is possible for some-one to be clever and then not try for their AS levels as hard s they should/at all in this case! I'm trying to make the point he's not really dim, it was just disasterous.
CityMonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FizzPopSpan)
Thanks, thats good encouragement.

I think it is possible for some-one to be clever and then not try for their AS levels as hard s they should/at all in this case! I'm trying to make the point he's not really dim, it was just disasterous.
I don't mean to sound offensive or anything, but assuming he did atleast a little amount of revision for physics or that if he has any apptitude at all in physics (which is very much needed in an engineering degree) then how could he possibly fail it? Especially at AS level. I mean if you assume he attended the majority of his classes in physics then he should have atleast passed. In physics science papers these days you can pass with just doing the questions that only need you to glance at the formula sheet and work through the simple calculator calculations.

I am sure he is able, but I would question his suitability to study engineering for 3 or 4 years and acheive anything meaningful in that degree if he can't even pass AS level physics, revision or not. The way A-levels are set up right now, getting an A says nothing about intellect at all, just about how much work you put in, but that only means that you just need to do the minimum to get just a pass. Anyway, hope things work out for him.
obtuse monkey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It certainly isn't all over for him, but those grades are pretty poor. The OU offer some pretty lovely looking engineering courses. There's this city and guilds thing:
http://www.city-and-guilds.co.uk/cps...s.xsl/887.html
Only briefly glanced at that quite a while ago though.
If he is bright enough to do these things though, he should be able to do A-levels. If he's had a bad year, maybe he should consider starting over. Maybe he's not ready to do a-levels, or perhaps that course isn't right for him. About now is when companies are offering training for jobs for "school leavers" as well. Lots of options! Also...5 AS levels?

edit: BTEC in one year doesn't sound like a good idea. They're all coursework.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?