Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure I got 100% in the coursework section of my Graphic Products GCSE, which accounts for 60% of the grade. Judging off these grade boundaries, what mark/grade will I need to get in the written paper (40%) to achieve an A overall? I can't seem to work it out, since there are more marks for the written section, but each mark is obviously worth less since the paper is only 40% of the grade. 2013 boundaries:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2013.PDF
    (unit 1 is the written paper)

Thanks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by MrCahooner)
    I'm fairly sure I got 100% in the coursework section of my Graphic Products GCSE, which accounts for 60% of the grade. Judging off these grade boundaries, what mark/grade will I need to get in the written paper (40%) to achieve an A overall? I can't seem to work it out, since there are more marks for the written section, but each mark is obviously worth less since the paper is only 40% of the grade. 2013 boundaries:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2013.PDF
    (unit 1 is the written paper)

Thanks.
    From what I remember, the grade boundaries are ridiculously low for the exam. If you did get full marks in the coursework, you'd need 80/160 UMS to get an A overall, which in June 2013 would have been a mark of 56/120 in the exam. Obviously, these boundaries change year on year but people tend to do terribly in AQA's DT exams because they're unpredictable and schools tend to focus on the coursework. FYI, to get an A* overall you'd need 120/160 UMS which would have been a mark of 76/120 in June 2013.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling with how to revise for this exam. I only have the CGP book. How are you revising for it? Do you know any useful websites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    From what I remember, the grade boundaries are ridiculously low for the exam. If you did get full marks in the coursework, you'd need 80/160 UMS to get an A overall, which in June 2013 would have been a mark of 56/120 in the exam. Obviously, these boundaries change year on year but people tend to do terribly in AQA's DT exams because they're unpredictable and schools tend to focus on the coursework. FYI, to get an A* overall you'd need 120/160 UMS which would have been a mark of 76/120 in June 2013.
    Brilliant, I won't even ask how you worked all that out, because as soon as gcse's aren't split into equal parts I get terribly confused - worrying for an A* maths student.

I'm assuming the grade boundaries don't usually fluctuate by more than three or so marks either way? Therefore I should be aiming to get 60+ marks to be safe for an A grade.

Thanks again for your help, you've given me some reassurance at least!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aerohotchoc)
    I'm really struggling with how to revise for this exam. I only have the CGP book. How are you revising for it? Do you know any useful websites?
    I don't even have the revision guide. I'm reading through the whole textbook bit by bit, and making a couple of notes on things that are fairly difficult to remember - such as who all the graphic designers are and what materials are used for what products.

I'm just hoping that this will be enough, because I really haven't left enough time for this to make notes on every page of the textbook like I did for the science exams.

However, my teacher did give me one website: http://www.technologystudent.com/designpro/drawdex.htm

It is useful for both coursework and written aspects, although the website is horribly designed and certainly not all that inspiring.

I wish you the best of luck for your exam, and may the grade boundaries be ever in our favour!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Brilliant, I won't even ask how you worked all that out, because as soon as gcse's aren't split into equal parts I get terribly confused - worrying for an A* maths student.

I'm assuming the grade boundaries don't usually fluctuate by more than three or so marks either way? Therefore I should be aiming to get 60+ marks to be safe for an A grade.

Looking at the past marks that would get you 80UMS:

June 13: 56
    June 12: 48
    June 11: 43
    June 10: 44

So from these past results, I'd say it's very likely it'll be below 60 this year. Obviously I can't tell you for definite, but do your best and I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even have the revision guide. I'm reading through the whole textbook bit by bit, and making a couple of notes on things that are fairly difficult to remember - such as who all the graphic designers are and what materials are used for what products.

I'm just hoping that this will be enough, because I really haven't left enough time for this to make notes on every page of the textbook like I did for the science exams.

However, my teacher did give me one website: http://www.technologystudent.com/designpro/drawdex.htm

It is useful for both coursework and written aspects, although the website is horribly designed and certainly not all that inspiring.

I wish you the best of luck for your exam, and may the grade boundaries be ever in our favour!
    Thank you very much, it does look useful! Tbh I've done the same, just learnt the materials and printing processes, it's so hard to predict what will come up.
    Thanks, all the best to you too! Fingers crossed that we've done enough to get A/ A*

ReputationRep:
    I got 88/90 in my coursework, so really hoping I don't get a B or C overall. We haven't really learned anything for the exam but I think I got about 68 in my mock, need to start some revision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaames)
    I got 88/90 in my coursework, so really hoping I don't get a B or C overall. We haven't really learned anything for the exam but I think I got about 68 in my mock, need to start some revision
    That's a really good coursework grade! Even that mark, judging by Chlorophile's evaluation, would get you an A with marks to spare, using 2013 boundaries. With some revision, you should be right up there for an A*.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good coursework grade! Even that mark, judging by Chlorophile's evaluation, would get you an A with marks to spare, using 2013 boundaries. With some revision, you should be right up there for an A*.

Good luck!
    Thanks! Good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, for the first section of the paper, it's about promoting firework safety to children. What sort of thing do you think it will be that we have to design?

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, for the first section of the paper, it's about promoting firework safety to children. What sort of thing do you think it will be that we have to design?
    This is what's really stumping me. The exam board must have thought it was a good enough topic to spark lots of ideas for a specific product amongst students, but what could it be?

Possibly an activity or game related to firework safety, or something of the sort. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    This is what's really stumping me. The exam board must have thought it was a good enough topic to spark lots of ideas for a specific product amongst students, but what could it be?

Possibly an activity or game related to firework safety, or something of the sort. What do you think?
    Ooh I never thought of that! My teacher suggested possibly a free standing display promoting firework safety, or even a card holder to hold a batch of leaflets that promotes firework safety. But I think yours sound quite plausible have you prepared anything for the first section?

ReputationRep:
    Could it just be a poster?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaames)
    Could it just be a poster?
    It's more likely to be a 3D product so you can outline how it assembles/stands up/ shading techniques/ thick and thin lines, that kind of stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ooh I never thought of that! My teacher suggested possibly a free standing display promoting firework safety, or even a card holder to hold a batch of leaflets that promotes firework safety. But I think yours sound quite plausible have you prepared anything for the first section?
    I think that your teacher's ideas sound more likely. I have not done any preparation, no. I don't really know how to prepare for it, any ideas? I guess remembering to use primary colours, along with large and simple text will get a few marks, since it's aimed at children. Other than that I'm not really sure.

ReputationRep:
    you need 320/400 UMS marks to get an A and if you got full marks on coursework that means you got 240 UMS marks already. therefore you need 80 UMS marks to get an A out of 160 UMS in written exam. so you need 56 out of 120 in exam marks to get an A. for an A* you need 76 out of 120 raw marks.

this is just my guess btw.

ReputationRep:
    I think that your teacher's ideas sound more likely. I have not done any preparation, no. I don't really know how to prepare for it, any ideas? I guess remembering to use primary colours, along with large and simple text will get a few marks, since it's aimed at children. Other than that I'm not really sure.
    The only way I've prepared is to come up with some ideas for designs for possible tasks it could be, and remembered the properties of some types of board because they will undoubtedly ask for an appropriate material. But yeah, it's probably best to revise for the theory

ReputationRep:
    For revision I have mainly used BBC bite size and practice papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You should be aiming for an A* TBH, it's around only 20 marks more from and A. If you're half decent at sketching, you should ace part a which is 35 marks. thats leaves only 40-50 out of the remaining 85 marks to get an A*. best of luck!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.