I want to learn a new language Watch

Eggel98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I already know French but I would really like to try and learn a new language. Which do you think will be more beneficial: Spanish, Italian or German?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Eggel98)
I already know French but I would really like to try and learn a new language. Which do you think will be more beneficial: Spanish, Italian or German?
Beneficial? That completely depends on how you define beneficial. If you frequently go on holiday to Spain, Spanish would probably be the best. Economically speaking, German would probably be the most useful business-wise in Europe. But it totally depends on what you want.
Wilsoncw1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chinese would be a good one but it would be rather difficult. I would recommend you to learn traditional Chinese if so.
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have a look at the languages and start learning them, see which you like and don't like. Some you'll just pick up easier and enjoy more so you're better off doing that.
Of the three, I'd say Italian. A lot of people speak German and Spanish, not that impressive. The likes of Italian/Russian/Chinese/Japanese etc look more impressive imo
TheBigJosh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
Chinese would be a good one but it would be rather difficult. I would recommend you to learn traditional Chinese if so.
Nah.
Simplified all the way.
Sheepish153
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Spanish: you unlock the vast majority of south america. Good for career in marketing or development work. I did french and spanish gcse. One helped the other and it was really enjoyable. Speak a language that has the greatest majority of people who don't have access to good english learning services i.e. theres not much point learning swedish for example because most of them are fluent in english, or so I'm told
Abby_W31
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Eggel98)
I've done french to GCSE so can hold a conversation and I've always loved the flow of the language. I would love to learn Italian as we spend many holidays over there, I'm considering taking it up as a GCSE option in my second year of college.
BlackLipBastard
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do all 3
mcdonald9842
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
italian is the one!
christopher23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Italian, ladies love Italian.
Hit Girl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i guess german would be most beneficial. Arabic and Japanese would be really good languages to learn
jamez870
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
Do you mean mandarin?
TeryMery
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would recommend Spanish too. It's easy to learn if you have the right equipment but the bad side is-Spanish people talk incredibly fast so it will take a lot of time and practice before you start speaking fluently. Best of luck learning a new language; I'm hoping to learn a bit of Greek by the end of this summer because it will really links with some of my physics, chemistry and bio A levels.
antonia32
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would like to learn french because I want to go france when i finish my carrer. i speak spanish I am from Chile.

regards!
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Abby_W31;47954776[B)
]I've done french to GCSE so can hold a conversation [/B]and I've always loved the flow of the language. I would love to learn Italian as we spend many holidays over there, I'm considering taking it up as a GCSE option in my second year of college.
I very much doubt that.
antonia32
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
can you help me to learn french?
TheBigJosh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any language will have benefits, clearly those that are best to learn are Mandarin, Spanish, French and German because of their prominence in business and politics.
I would steer away from small languages like Italian, Portuguese, Japanese etc that have limited scope for wider use, unless you literally are doing it for just pleasure, in which anything you want is best.
David B
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Japanese is such a wonderful language to learn.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheBigJosh)
Any language will have benefits, clearly those that are best to learn are Mandarin, Spanish, French and German because of their prominence in business and politics.
I would steer away from small languages like Italian, Portuguese, Japanese etc that have limited scope for wider use, unless you literally are doing it for just pleasure, in which anything you want is best.
Portuguese is the 6th most spoken language in the world whereas French is 18th? Similarly Japanese is the 9th most spoken language in the world (even though it's only spoken in 1 country) and German 11th. I don't know where you get your facts from, but you couldn't be further from the truth. Portuguese and Japanese aren't "small languages", and considering Japan has the 3rd largest economy in the world and Brazil set to overtake to UK, you can hardly call them small languages with limited scope. In fact, French is arguably definitely not as important as Japanese or Portuguese, as the only "scope" you get with French is France (and a few other countries with insignificant economies such as the Ivory Coast, Senegal and Mauritius).

Sure, the same can be said about Japanese, but the difference between France and Japan is that Japan's economy is bigger than France's; the Japanese are generally taught to a lower standard of English (as foreign languages over there aren't deemed as important as perhaps here) meaning speaking Japanese is a lot more "useful" than speaking French; and there are fewer Japanese speakers than French speakers, meaning that getting hold of someone who speaks Japanese is more difficult, and so actually it's more valued as a language than French.
Strom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Deutsch macht spass, es ist einfach auch!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby