Motorbikes: The beginning... Watch

artisticmusic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Well, ive been going around quick trips on a friends Aprilia RS125, and have become quite fond of it.
But i still have my confusions...im turning 19 soon, i dont drive...and only hold a provisional license.

So in order to own and ride a Aprilia RS125 what are the required certificates etc needed? is it just a CBT certificate?

thanks for the help all.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's quite messy to explain, look here for more solid info: http://www.begin-motorcycling.co.uk/

Basically quickest way to get on the road is do a CBT, get insured on the Aprilia then you can ride it on L-plates.
Pseudomuse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
for aprilia RS 125 only a CBT is required, with L-Plates, and watch out cause insurance on those things is quite high.

to be honest it might be worth your while, saving up, doing a full motorbike test, (subject to a 2 year 33bhp restriction) and then getting something abit bigger. maybe even an aprillia RS250 :cool: , at least you can get that over and done with, and you dont have to wait untill your 21 to do the direct access whoch is really expensive. good luck
R1chyP
Report 12 years ago
I have an RS125. Ace bike, get it derestricted after you've learned to ride properly.
pandaiscool
Report 12 years ago
u can ride it on a CBT, but be careful. the power to weight of the RS125 means u need it restricted to take a test on it or ride it totally legally. my advice is to get an old CG125, pass your test and ride a 500 (gs/cbf/er5). they are much nicer to ride than a two stroke and much easier to maintain.!
artisticmusic
Rep:
?
(Original post by pandaiscool)
u can ride it on a CBT, but be careful. the power to weight of the RS125 means u need it restricted to take a test on it or ride it totally legally. my advice is to get an old CG125, pass your test and ride a 500 (gs/cbf/er5). they are much nicer to ride than a two stroke and much easier to maintain.!
oooh cheers for that im planning to take the test on the training schools own bike
DenkMit
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Aww but 2-strokes rock! As Pheonix said, can't beat a RS250! And all the current 500s are IMO ugly.

EDIT: Buy a RC30 or a ZZR-400 off eBay!
artisticmusic
Rep:
?
for some reason, ive only got my eyes set on the aprilia rs series, i really dont know why, i think its the enamels and decals that make it look so sexy haha
--
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The RS250 would be a nightmare for someone thats just passed their test! Its a very fussy bike that needs a lot of looking after and is very tricky to ride (powerband is apparently a *****). 500cc bikes can get a bit boring after a while and dont quite look like grown up bikes, theyre just a little bit too small, dont look right and the 400's can be a bit of a hassle to own, not many parts etc. A naked 600, like a Bandit or a hornet, is a good option. They restrict well, are reasonably priced, look like nice meaty bikes and insurance is fairly good. I had a 03 plate Bandit that only cost me £480 tpft and went like stink when the restrictors 'fell' out. Will also last you much longer than a RS125, you wont get bored of it so easily and wont get sick of being at full throttle all the time and not going very fast and it can handle motorways and the like much easier.

I did the CG125-->600 route and the CG was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. The acceleration was awful, wouldnt really go past 50-55 (and this was an 04 plate bike) and rusted to hell when i couldnt be arsed to clean it. Just get a cheap run around, ride for a few months and then take your test and spend your money on a nice bike!
artisticmusic
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3232)
The RS250 would be a nightmare for someone thats just passed their test! Its a very fussy bike that needs a lot of looking after and is very tricky to ride (powerband is apparently a *****). 500cc bikes can get a bit boring after a while and dont quite look like grown up bikes, theyre just a little bit too small, dont look right and the 400's can be a bit of a hassle to own, not many parts etc. A naked 600, like a Bandit or a hornet, is a good option. They restrict well, are reasonably priced, look like nice meaty bikes and insurance is fairly good. I had a 03 plate Bandit that only cost me £480 tpft and went like stink when the restrictors 'fell' out. Will also last you much longer than a RS125, you wont get bored of it so easily and wont get sick of being at full throttle all the time and not going very fast and it can handle motorways and the like much easier.

I did the CG125-->600 route and the CG was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. The acceleration was awful, wouldnt really go past 50-55 (and this was an 04 plate bike) and rusted to hell when i couldnt be arsed to clean it. Just get a cheap run around, ride for a few months and then take your test and spend your money on a nice bike!
many thanks for such great advice

could you possibly name any particular bikes that you reccomend if that is ok?

thank you
--
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At 125 or as a first big bike?

At 125, youll probably only need it for a few months so anything that will teach you the basics and costs under £500. Just remember, I've never met a biker that didnt drop or crash their first bike, so shiny RS125 plastics that cost £500 for each side fairing are probably not a great idea Honda CG125's and Yamaha SR125's tend to be the norm, or offroad style bikes, like tatty KMX125/DT125's, all are seriously cheap.

As for a first big bike, the 500's are okay, but are generally got rid of within a year and traded for something with more oomph (costing you more in the long run), but if you have your heart set on one then the usual 500's are the Suzuki GS500, Honda CB500 (or CBF500 for a new one), ER-5 or a GPZ500. The 600's will probably last a few years and can cost from as little as £1000 for a 6-7 year old one that still runs well. Very cheap, but boring, is the Yamaha Diversion 600, the Bandit is a good bike, again fairly cheap, its not as fast as some of the newer bikes but still 0-60 in around 4 seconds and i embarassed a fat bloke on an R1 on mine, so miracles can happen! The Honda Hornet (CB600f, i think its called) has a detuned CBR600 engine, more power than the bandit but a really small fuel tank about 80-90 miles, very annoying. SV650 is a really nice looking bike, has a v-twin engine, different to the rest, low on insurance and handles really well, again fairly cheap (about the same price as a bandit).

I'd get a tatty little bike, pass your test and then get a 600, probably a bandit or a SV650. Both are good bikes that'll introduce you to biking and give you the thrill of some extreme performance without taking your head off. Remember to save about £500 for some good kit, at least a good helmet, leather jacket, good gloves and good boots, and preferably some armoured trousers, i've met a lot of bikers and none of them have managed to avoid crashing (including me, which is why my bandit is in pieces and i have more metal in me than is left on the bike) so make sure you protect yourself!
--
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh, a good site for finding bikes and working out what the prices are like:

http://www.biketrader.co.uk/
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Suzuki 125's are a nice start bike
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 3232)

riminds me of my cg125, mine was the same except, mine was 1982 :eek: . so you can imagine what accelration was like and the rust was awful!
artisticmusic
Rep:
?
thanks every so much for your help everyone, its been really awesome!

just to let you all in, ive decided not to purchase a 125cc bike at the moment.

ill be taking my cbt first, and thereafter will take the full practical test using the trainers provided bikes so it saves me having to purchase a 125cc. once ive passed the practical test (within 1-2 months), ill just go ahead and purchase a 400cc.

3232 has given a great list of bikes within that power output, if anyone else knows of anygood bikes please do let me know!, ideally id still like the superbike look just like the aprilia rs125, so anything with similar looks to that would be even better!

thank you again!
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by artisticalmusic)
thanks every so much for your help everyone, its been really awesome!

just to let you all in, ive decided not to purchase a 125cc bike at the moment.

ill be taking my cbt first, and thereafter will take the full practical test using the trainers provided bikes so it saves me having to purchase a 125cc. once ive passed the practical test (within 1-2 months), ill just go ahead and purchase a 400cc.

3232 has given a great list of bikes within that power output, if anyone else knows of anygood bikes please do let me know!, ideally id still like the superbike look just like the aprilia rs125, so anything with similar looks to that would be even better!

thank you again!

good on you mate!
--
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How much cash do you think you'll have to spend? We can narrow down what youll be able to get then.
artisticmusic
Rep:
?
(Original post by 3232)
How much cash do you think you'll have to spend? We can narrow down what youll be able to get then.
for a first bike, id say for the bike alone id have about £1000-1300 to spend i think
--
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And what CC would you like?
artisticmusic
Rep:
?
as its commuting in london, but a few motorway trips, i think i 400cc wouldnt be to bad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise