sociology unit3 global development june 10th 2014 Watch

tammy1105
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi!

Is anyone else doing the Global Development A2 next week? If so, what questions do you think might come up? What ways have you been revising?

There is literally no revision books to revise from, except the cgp one but I am not sure if they are any good to get a good amount of knowledge for the exam.
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
LucyDavies987
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tammy1105)
Hi!

Is anyone else doing the Global Development A2 next week? If so, what questions do you think might come up? What ways have you been revising?

There is literally no revision books to revise from, except the cgp one but I am not sure if they are any good to get a good amount of knowledge for the exam.
Hey! My teacher predicted Globalisation and Malthusian theory! Absolutely crapping myself for this exam!
username826246
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey - its nice to see some more people doing this unit! (A lot of people seem to study the other options, like Mass Media)

My teacher thinks Education is doing to come up
A lot of students at my sixth form think it could be urbanisation, employment, maybe health, cos apparently they haven't come up for a while

How is everyone feeling about it and how are you guys preparing?
tammy1105
Rep:
?
Hey thanks for the predictions!

I feel like there's just so much information to remember which is sort of nerve racking. I am hoping urbanisation comes up, last year June it was: NGOs, Marxist theory, Aid and health care systems so hopefully they won't come up again haha.

How many theorists do you think should be put in a 18m and 33m?
LucyDavies987
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I haven't been given anything on employment or health oh my god
tammy1105
Rep:
?
:eek:Talk about TNCs and employment:

Developing c encourage TNCs to relocate as labour costs are much lower in developing c.

Developing c offer TNCs epzs e.g. low regulations, low wage costs etc
Has some TNCs are contract their manufacturing to local manufactures there is competition. Local manufactures want to keep costs down which can lead to poor working conditions.

Then talk about theorists such as dual labour theory: they argue the cause of limited jobs is due to the dual labour market- economies have 2 sectors which are formal and Informal/hidden economy

Then talk about theorists e.g dual labour theory: they argue that the cause of limited jobs is due to the dual labour market and economies have 2 sectors which are the informal/hidden economy and the formal economy

Modernisation theory: fewer jobs is caused by interal economic problem.
And rostows 5 stages of development e.g developing c. Are in traditional stage, don't have money to invest they need to improve and increase jobs by reaching the second stage etc

Dependency Frank cause of lack of jobs due to explotive metropolis/satellite relationship etc

Neo-colonial contro limits the number of jobs and job type
Developed c dominate the formal economy- they are technology intensive therefore not enough jobs for the urban population.

Sorry they were a little rushed, I hope that helps a bit
LucyDavies987
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:eek:Talk about TNCs and employment:

Developing c encourage TNCs to relocate as labour costs are much lower in developing c.

Developing c offer TNCs epzs e.g. low regulations, low wage costs etc
Has some TNCs are contract their manufacturing to local manufactures there is competition. Local manufactures want to keep costs down which can lead to poor working conditions.

Then talk about theorists such as dual labour theory: they argue the cause of limited jobs is due to the dual labour market- economies have 2 sectors which are formal and Informal/hidden economy

Then talk about theorists e.g dual labour theory: they argue that the cause of limited jobs is due to the dual labour market and economies have 2 sectors which are the informal/hidden economy and the formal economy

Modernisation theory: fewer jobs is caused by interal economic problem.
And rostows 5 stages of development e.g developing c. Are in traditional stage, don't have money to invest they need to improve and increase jobs by reaching the second stage etc

Dependency Frank cause of lack of jobs due to explotive metropolis/satellite relationship etc

Neo-colonial contro limits the number of jobs and job type
Developed c dominate the formal economy- they are technology intensive therefore not enough jobs for the urban population.

Sorry they were a little rushed, I hope that helps a bit
THANK YOU SO MUCH is this for education? youve saved my life <3
LucyDavies987
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hahaha not education i meant employment sorry! god getting everything mixed up!
tammy1105
Rep:
?
(Original post by LucyDavies987)
hahaha not education i meant employment sorry! god getting everything mixed up!
Aah it's fine, I completely know what you're going through ha I'm doing last minute cramming on health x
LucyDavies987
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aah it's fine, I completely know what you're going through ha I'm doing last minute cramming on health x
Same! I hope population/malthusian or globalisation comes up because that's practically all I know to a really good standard!
LucyDavies987
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good luck everyone! though not a lot of people seem to be going GD, oh well!
username826246
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
so how did everyone find it yesterday? I thought it was an alright paper but wasn't too happy about the 18 marker being about industrialisation - what did people put for that?

I chose the population essay - did anyone else, and what did you put for it?

Hope everyone found it ok
LucyDavies987
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thatgirlbecky)
so how did everyone find it yesterday? I thought it was an alright paper but wasn't too happy about the 18 marker being about industrialisation - what did people put for that?

I chose the population essay - did anyone else, and what did you put for it?

Hope everyone found it ok
I found it A LOT better than I thought it would be! I thought industrialisation was pretty good for an 18 mark, good job it didnt come up as the 33m or I don't think I'd have done brilliantly! I wrote about Import Substitute Industrialisation and Export Oriented Industrialisation, the pros and cons of both of them and concluded with a general pros and cons of industrialisation as a whole, using the item to help
I was so happy when population came up, its one of the two topics i knew inside and out so that was pure luck

how did you find the population essay?
username826246
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LucyDavies987)
I found it A LOT better than I thought it would be! I thought industrialisation was pretty good for an 18 mark, good job it didnt come up as the 33m or I don't think I'd have done brilliantly! I wrote about Import Substitute Industrialisation and Export Oriented Industrialisation, the pros and cons of both of them and concluded with a general pros and cons of industrialisation as a whole, using the item to help
I was so happy when population came up, its one of the two topics i knew inside and out so that was pure luck

how did you find the population essay?
yeah I was sooo glad it was population! did the typical Malthusian/neo-Malthusian vs anti-Malthusian structure, mentioned Mathus, Ehrlich, Kaplan, and then Adamson for evaluation

the industrialisation was the only one that was a bit iffy for me - hadn't revised it as much. Hopefully got some decent points in though haha, just desperately cramming for Unit 4 now!
LucyDavies987
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thatgirlbecky)
yeah I was sooo glad it was population! did the typical Malthusian/neo-Malthusian vs anti-Malthusian structure, mentioned Mathus, Ehrlich, Kaplan, and then Adamson for evaluation

the industrialisation was the only one that was a bit iffy for me - hadn't revised it as much. Hopefully got some decent points in though haha, just desperately cramming for Unit 4 now!
Yep! I'm trying to revise everything now its so so so so hard, any ideas what might come up? I'm doing Crime and Deviance D:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (152)
18.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (80)
9.86%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed