Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok I've been doing Starting Strength and I've got my stats up to this:-

Squat: 140
DL: 160
Bench: 80

I've been researching routines that include more volume and utilise higher rep ranges and I've stumbled across this workout that posted on LiterallyLean.com

Monday: Chest and Triceps

Bench Press: 4 sets of 8-12 reps

Incline Dumbbell Press: 4 sets of 8-12 reps

Machine Flies: 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps

Dips: 4 sets of reps to failure

Tricep extensions (cable, straight bar): 4 sets of 8-12 reps

Tricep extensions (cable , curved bar) 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Skull Crushers : 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps

Tuesday: Back and Biceps

Wide Grip pullups: 4 sets to failure

Deadlifts: 4 sets of 5-8 reps

Lat Pulldowns: 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps

Cable Rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps

DB curls: 4 sets of 8-12

Close Grip Chinups: 4 sets of 8-12 reps

Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Wednesday: Shoulders and Abs

Military Press: 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Lateral Raises: 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Front Raises: 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Situps: 4 sets to failure

Crunches: 4- sets to failure

Planks: 4 sets of failure

Thursday: Legs and Abs

Squats: 4 sets of 8-10 reps

Leg Press: 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Leg Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Calf Raises (standing): 4 sets to failure

Calf Raises (sitting): 4 sets to failure

Ball Oblique twist: 4 sets to failure

Leg raises: 3-4 sets to failure

Bicycle Kicks: 3-4 sets to failure

Friday:Rest

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Rest
Thoughts?
username369234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just a standard split routine, nothing special about it really.
AreebWithaHat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
leg volume is a bit low imo.
Dark Horse
Rep:
?
(Original post by commandant)
Just a standard split routine, nothing special about it really.
I'm just checking that it's not complete horse****.
Appeal to reason
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
More squats would be good, but its a pretty standard split.
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Looks fine. Bit strange that it has 4 workout days followed by 3 rest days, but you'll most likely change that up yourself anyway.
Dark Horse
Rep:
?
(Original post by e aí rapaz)
Looks fine. Bit strange that it has 4 workout days followed by 3 rest days, but you'll most likely change that up yourself anyway.
But it shouldn't matter all that much. The basic premise is that each bodypart gets worked only once per week, and so that's where the rest comes from?
Doob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dark Horse)
Ok I've been doing Starting Strength and I've got my stats up to this:-

Squat: 140
DL: 160
Bench: 80

I've been researching routines that include more volume and utilise higher rep ranges and I've stumbled across this workout that posted on LiterallyLean.com

Thoughts?
Why are you going to do tricep extentions on cables twice, and then barbells? Stupid idea. Using a straight bar and then a curved bar makes no difference.

Wide grip pullups for back is stupid also, because it reduces the range of motion your lats go through, and brings more biceps into the exercise.

This routine sucks to be honest.
Dark Horse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doob)
Why are you going to do tricep extentions on cables twice, and then barbells? Stupid idea. Using a straight bar and then a curved bar makes no difference.

Wide grip pullups for back is stupid also, because it reduces the range of motion your lats go through, and brings more biceps into the exercise.

This routine sucks to be honest.
It sucks because of these two things you mentioned?
Doob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It sucks because of these two things you mentioned?
'Back and Biceps' There was not a single upper back exercise, only lat exercises, deadlifts are not a back exercise, they are compound lift, unless you are working near your 1RM, the only back activation you will get is from your lower back. Sitff-legged deadlifts would be better, because they are an actual back exercise.

Shoulder workout: 11 sets on anterior deltoids, 4 sets on medial deltoids and no sets on the posterior deltoids. Combine this with the anterior deltoid work you get from bench pressing and your going to be looking at some really hunched shoulders, like 90% of the population.

The fact that a shoulder workout doesnt even include posterior deltoid work, and a 'Back workout' with no trapezius, or rhomboid exercises says it all really.

Get on this program, and forget all these bull**** programs written by dumbasses.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155460263
Dark Horse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doob)
'Back and Biceps' There was not a single upper back exercise, only lat exercises, deadlifts are not a back exercise, they are compound lift, unless you are working near your 1RM, the only back activation you will get is from your lower back. Sitff-legged deadlifts would be better, because they are an actual back exercise.

Shoulder workout: 11 sets on anterior deltoids, 4 sets on medial deltoids and no sets on the posterior deltoids. Combine this with the anterior deltoid work you get from bench pressing and your going to be looking at some really hunched shoulders, like 90% of the population.

The fact that a shoulder workout doesnt even include posterior deltoid work, and a 'Back workout' with no trapezius, or rhomboid exercises says it all really.

Get on this program, and forget all these bull**** programs written by dumbasses.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155460263
Wendler's is a strength routine.
Doob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wendler's is a strength routine.
You cant get dramatically stronger without gaining muscle mass, the assistance work is high volume and bodybuilding essentially. Watch Jason Blaha, he works with pHd holders and athletes, he actually knows what he is talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoS6rCc081o
Dark Horse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doob)
You cant get dramatically stronger without gaining muscle mass, the assistance work is high volume and bodybuilding essentially. Watch Jason Blaha, he works with pHd holders and athletes, he actually knows what he is talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoS6rCc081o
But it's not an aeshtetic-focused routine. The basic premise is to get stronger.

Although size will come with strength and vice-versa, it would be foolish to do such a routine if the only goal is to eventually become ripped.
Doob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But it's not an aeshtetic-focused routine. The basic premise is to get stronger.

Although size will come with strength and vice-versa, it would be foolish to do such a routine if the only goal is to eventually become ripped.
Getting 'ripped' is nothing to do with your training, rather your diet. You should have said you wanted 'aesthetics' which im presuming means a proportional body. If that is the case, why would you use somebody elses routine, when your body proportions are different from theirs? You should focus on lagging muscle groups, not some poorly designed arbitrary routine.
Dark Horse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doob)
Getting 'ripped' is nothing to do with your training, rather your diet. You should have said you wanted 'aesthetics' which im presuming means a proportional body. If that is the case, why would you use somebody elses routine, when your body proportions are different from theirs? You should focus on lagging muscle groups, not some poorly designed arbitrary routine.
True about the diet but you do actually need some muscle to show for it when you're ripped.

I don't really know about "lagging body parts." I've done SS which means I haven't focused on any body parts, and have done compound lifts only.
Doob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
True about the diet but you do actually need some muscle to show for it when you're ripped.

I don't really know about "lagging body parts." I've done SS which means I haven't focused on any body parts, and have done compound lifts only.
You will have to cut, so you can see which muscles are lagging, but believe me, SS is purely a strength routine, so dont expect too much when you cut lol. Use the program i linked, its FAR better than SS for strength and size, the orignal poster made 6lb lean gains in about half a year, and he is a recovering anorexic.
Dark Horse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doob)
You will have to cut, so you can see which muscles are lagging, but believe me, SS is purely a strength routine, so dont expect too much when you cut lol. Use the program i linked, its FAR better than SS for strength and size, the orignal poster made 6lb lean gains in about half a year, and he is a recovering anorexic.
I can cut on that Wendler routine?
Doob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can cut on that Wendler routine?
Probably not, its really high volume and you wouldnt gain any muscle mass.
I would just cut and then start that routine from scratch. Read through as much of that thread as possible, he answers many questions.
Dark Horse
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doob)
Probably not, its really high volume and you wouldnt gain any muscle mass.
I would just cut and then start that routine from scratch. Read through as much of that thread as possible, he answers many questions.
Ok but I would need another routine to do between stopping SS and starting Wendler.
Doob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok but I would need another routine to do between stopping SS and starting Wendler.
Probably not, just try to maintain as much strength as possible whilst your cutting on the routine your doing now. Reduce the workload a little, but still push yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise