Can I get into university without meeting my conditions?

Watch
t.laura93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am from the EU and applied to a UK university, I'm not really familiar with the system. My offer was to score 80% overall and 80% maths at advanced level, I think it equals with AAB in the UK a levels. I did well on maths but together with the other subjects my overall score is likely to be only 78 percent. I'm devastated now to fail on only two percent. Is there any chance to negotiate when the official results come out? Can I swap course or get in clearing? I don't know how it works in this country... My uni choices were Birmingham and kings college london.
thefailure
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They may still accept you if you miss by a few points, especially since you're an international student which puts you in a privileged advantage over UK state school students. UCAS sends universities your results the day before the official results day, and Admissions looks at all results individually - people who acheive the conditional results get in, but they may also allow some people who missed marginally in terms of results to get in as well, but only if quite a few people haven't achieved their conditional results and they need to fill up the spaces.

You can ring them to find out on Results Day.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thefailure)
They may still accept you if you miss by a few points, especially since you're an international student which puts you in a privileged advantage over UK state school students. UCAS sends universities your results the day before the official results day, and Admissions looks at all results individually - people who acheive the conditional results get in, but they may also allow some people who missed marginally in terms of results to get in as well, but only if quite a few people haven't achieved their conditional results and they need to fill up the spaces.

You can ring them to find out on Results Day.
EU does NOT count as international.

UK results do not go to universities the day before results day - they come out the weekend before. The OP will find their results at some other date, unless it is the same by coincidence.

However, you are correct that some people who missed only marginally will likely get in.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by t.laura93)
I am from the EU and applied to a UK university, I'm not really familiar with the system. My offer was to score 80% overall and 80% maths at advanced level, I think it equals with AAB in the UK a levels. I did well on maths but together with the other subjects my overall score is likely to be only 78 percent. I'm devastated now to fail on only two percent. Is there any chance to negotiate when the official results come out? Can I swap course or get in clearing? I don't know how it works in this country... My uni choices were Birmingham and kings college london.
If your firm and insurance choices don't take you, you will be automatically entered into clearing. There is absolutely no chance of negotiation if Track says you have been rejected. The universities have had your results since the weekend before results day and will have had a long time to consider you. If they have said no, then they mean it. If a lot of people have failed to make their conditions, then they may have enough places to take you if you miss by a small amount, but they cannot know this until the results are in.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you have missed your offer, the university is allowed to reject you. If you are rejected from your firm, but meet the conditions of your insurance offer, then you automatically get a place at your insurance. However, your firm choice has "first refusal"- they may chose to take you with slightly missed grades. Your insurance choice might also take you, so even if both are asking for the same grade, it does give you two chances at getting in.

If, on results day, you're rejected by both universities, then there's not really any room for negotiation. The only reason to contact the universities is if it still says "conditional" on your UCAS track on results day. In this case, you need to contact them to ask them to make a decision and you may get a chance to plead your case. However, this is an unusual situation.

If you're rejected by both choices, you're automatically eligable for clearing, and you can apply to any clearing courses- including other courses at the same university.

However, you might have done better than you think on your exams, and get your place after all.
t.laura93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I still don't really understand, when is the results day in the uk?
I have to send my results individually because my school (as it is a non-uk school) is not connected to ucas system and our results day is in a different time. So I will know my results earlier and then send it. Do I have to wait until they give an answer and is there no point to call?
Could they accept me with 78% without talking to anyone from the school as well?
Sorry about the silly question, I'm really knew to the English application system.
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I still don't really understand, when is the results day in the uk?
I have to send my results individually because my school (as it is a non-uk school) is not connected to ucas system and our results day is in a different time. So I will know my results earlier and then send it. Do I have to wait until they give an answer and is there no point to call?
Could they accept me with 78% without talking to anyone from the school as well?
Sorry about the silly question, I'm really knew to the English application system.
They could accept you with 78% without having to talk to anyone, however it just depends on how many people miss their offer.

Results day in the UK is mid August. So if you get your grades before this, and send them in, you should know before results day whether you're in or not. Clearing opens on UK results day only.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (10)
19.23%
I'm not sure (2)
3.85%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (15)
28.85%
I have already dropped out (2)
3.85%
I'm not a current university student (23)
44.23%

Watched Threads