Founders Watch

Vix610
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Woooo got in.. I'm in Founders, anyone past or present got any opinions on it..what's it really like?
shadders
Report 12 years ago
Well a lot of people on this board have a lot of negative opionions on it, but to be honest I't cant be that bad, and you'll be living in by far the coolest building.

I really wouldn't have thought it as being the end of the world if I ended up there. Although I'm really happy with Reid.
iffy14
Report 12 years ago
We're going to be living in hell for the first year at RH with Thomas Holloway's ghost laughing at us for thinking it was going to awesome living in a hundred year old building!

Or it might turn out to be coolest halls and we'll have tons of fun!
ejbrown
Report 12 years ago
i am about to start my politics and international relations second year.

lived in founders east, second floor and it was the best hall for community spirit and making really good close knit mates.

ed
Char_lotte
Report 12 years ago
I can't believe people are annoyed about being in Founder's, its the main attraction at RH! People keep moaning about it and bigging up Reed - Reed seemed really out of it last year. I was in Williamson last year which is no more, next to Reed, Will was the 'worst' in terms of aesthetics and facilities but the most sociable by far! I had friends in Founder's which had the same criteria as Williamson and it seemed pretty cool. You've got the dining hall right there and in the summer its handy because everyone lazes about in the quad, you're right in the middle of the action. Good luck to all the first years, there seem to be a lot of Historians on here. Take Conflict & Identity if its running for you this year! Enjoy Holloway, oh and join Lacrosse club! I'm the least sporty person ever but I was convinced to join and it was such a great way to meet people. Get stuck in and have an awesome first term.
Drunk_Kid_Catholic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If any 1st year Historians are among you, I'm looking to sell my books that were essential for the course 'Republics, Kings and People: Foundations of Modern Political Culture', a popular option. I have most of the books from the reading list, and I'm looking to sell them for £20, bearing in mind there are around 10 books and i paid £5-£10 each for them! A bargain! If anyone's interested pm me!!
Hana_1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i'm sure it'll be fine! And I WILL convince the wireless to work in my room If not I will be sitting out in the hallways
Vix610
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know roughly how many people there are in a corridor/sharing bathrooms & kitchen things?
Hana_1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there isn't really a kitchen as far as i know..i think there's a pantry, as we're in catered accomm. there's no need for a proper kitchen. i reckon there's about 8 people sharing the facilities..bet i'm wrong!
Vix610
Yeah i think we get a pantry with a microwave in. I keep hearing rumours of loadsss of people sharing, but i guess the more people, the more fun!
iffy14
Report 12 years ago
I'm sorry... Are we not even going to be getting a fridge/freezer?

Btw are you certain about the microwave?

It's going to be the Islamic fasting month from late September till mid-October (i think), the fasting goes from before sunrise to sunset, so i'm not going to be able to have catered for that period probably, as it'll be too early for breakfast and too late for dinner - can't have lunch at all. I need to eat something other than pot noodle, which is the only thing i know how to make apart from coffee, when i break my fast. Anyway a microwave and fridge/freezer would go a looooong way in making my first month at uni a lot easier.
Vix610
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there's a microwave and fridge but no freezer, could be wrong though..
ejbrown
Report 12 years ago
i was on east second floor, our pantry had a fridge, toaster and microwave.
i can't really estimate how many shared one of these but i seem to rememweber that there was always space for your stuff.

please pm me if you have any further questions re founders, rhul or surhul (where i work).

ed
mírate
Report 12 years ago
I'm in Founders and am rather happy about it, but my friend is repeatedly telling me that it is one of the most flammable buildings in Britain (insulation soaked in ethanol, no less!) and that I am going to be burnt to a rather pathetic cinder. Oh well.
Hana_1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
u wont be burnt! there's fire alarm practices a lot ive heard..during the night :| and if there's no candles, no smoking, lighters etc it'll be fine. but there's a reason we're only allowed so many Kilowatts per room..then again i know nothing about physics etc. so that probably makes no sense :s

i reckon it'll be coolies livin in founders so im happy!

:O vix, is it u on the SUBB looking for a room swap?!
Vix610
Yeh it was I thought i'd deleted it though. When i first got the stuff through I was like arrrgh no wireless but now i'm really excited about Founders i reckon we'll have loads of fun
Hana_1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yay!
mírate
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Hana_1987)
there's fire alarm practices a lot ive heard..during the night :|
Aye, I have heard this too. However, I heard that these fire drills are ever-so slightly *more* in the morning than the night, if you get what I mean :s.. The only plus-side, I imagine, is that the whole of Founders can all revel in their sleep-deprived misery together...

Founders will rule though.
Vix610
Bleugh early fire drills will suck. I've been trying to look at the picture on the prospectus thing to work out roughly where my room will be but havn't got a clue, anyone else thinking they're gonna get really lost?!
Hana_1987
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
deffo, vix!!!! i'll probably stumble into someone elses room by accident im sure i'll get the hang of it eventually lol.

when someone told me there would be quite a few fire practices i wanted to cry! problem is though, i'm so used to fire alarms going off and not vacating the building as they're only testing the effiency of the alarm, that when one does go off, i won't notice, or i'll notice but it won't click that i'm supposed to leave hehe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (54)
28.88%
No - I got the required grades (110)
58.82%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise