Can someone show me how to work out question 7 part v - a
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/OCR/M...tion_Paper.pdf
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/61150-m...me-january.pdf
Stonebridge
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

The (upwards) tension in the chain holding up the pulley must be in equilibrium with the downwards forces on it due to the tension in the string and its weight.

You are told in the previous part that the tension in the string is 5.88N and you know the pulley is of mass 5kg. So its weight is 4.9N

Total downwards force on pulley is therefore 5.88N + 5.88N + 4.9N
tmorrall
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Stonebridge)
The (upwards) tension in the chain holding up the pulley must be in equilibrium with the downwards forces on it due to the tension in the string and its weight.

You are told in the previous part that the tension in the string is 5.88N and you know the pulley is of mass 5kg. So its weight is 4.9N

Total downwards force on pulley is therefore 5.88N + 5.88N + 4.9N
Why is there two lots of tension? One lot either side of the pulley? But does the tension not act upward on the right and downward on the left?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stonebridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tmorrall)
Why is there two lots of tension? One lot either side of the pulley? But does the tension not act upward on the right and downward on the left?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. Certainly not.
The tension in the string acts equally downwards on both sides.
This is always true in any question where you have a "light" string and a frictionless pulley.

Imagine I hung two balanced identical 1kg masses (9.8N weight) on a string either side of the pulley.
What is the total downwards force on the pulley?
If it isn't 19.6N where has the weight of one of the masses gone?
tmorrall
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stonebridge)
No. Certainly not.
The tension in the string acts equally downwards on both sides.
This is always true in any question where you have a "light" string and a frictionless pulley.

Imagine I hung two balanced identical 1kg masses (9.8N weight) on a string either side of the pulley.
What is the total downwards force on the pulley?
If it isn't 19.6N where has the weight of one of the masses gone?
How does acceleration affect this? When you're solving for a and T, does tension not act against the weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile
tmorrall
Rep:
?
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401990168.633825.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  59.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stonebridge
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tmorrall)
How does acceleration affect this? When you're solving for a and T, does tension not act against the weight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When there is acceleration you apply F=ma to the individual masses on the string. F is the resultant force where T is the tension (upwards) and mg the weight downwards.
You solve for T and a. (or for whatever is the unknown)
The total downwards force on the pulley due to the tension in the string will be 2T
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (558)
34%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (677)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (331)
20.17%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.57%

Watched Threads