Buying DVD's - A Waste Of Time? Watch

Bigfooty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi there.
If this thread has been done a million times - I'm sorry. I just wanted to know how many of you actually buy a DVD full price in the shops to find that the film is rubbish or you will never want to see it again.
I mean I can understand right if you've seen a film at the cinema and it was really good and you want to get the DVD. Wouldn't it be better to rent it? Rather than buy it.
I am asking this cos I think the prices of DVD's are expensive in the shops but if you buy them on eBay or Amazon they do come a little cheaper.
I am not DVD bashing I think it's cool. But I think you need to watch the film before you buy it. What do you do? Do you go to the cinema then buy it? Or if you read a review and think 'Oh yeah, this sounds cool, I'll buy it anyway.'
Just wanting your opinions.
P.s I don't usually buy DVD's although I have done in the past and regretted it
Scipio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can get most DVDs for 6-7 quid, equivalent of renting it 3~ times from a rental store, if it's a film you're likely to watch more than that over a long period of time, you may aswell buy it.

I personally buy DVDs of films that I know are good, and rarely buy something without seeing it beforehand at some point.
Rach87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I usually buy DVDs if I have heard from people, who are into the same films and shows as me, that the films are good. Either that or if they star an actor I think is good, or are done by a producer I know is good. Or if I see movies that look interesting and the DVDs are on special offer and going cheap... then I might get those too. Lol. I love DVDs.
Scipio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rach87)
I usually buy DVDs if I have heard from people, who are into the same films and shows as me, that the films are good. Either that or if they star an actor I think is good, or are done by a producer I know is good. Or if I see movies that look interesting and the DVDs are on special offer and going cheap... then I might get those too. Lol. I love DVDs.
Rather than good director?
Jayk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Generally I buy movies that I'm pretty certain I'm going to like; and most of the time I'm spot on, even when I haven't seen the movie before. There're've been a few bad choices - I bought Garfield, which I really regret doing. I mean, it was fun, but it's not a DVD I'd own, with hindsight.

So honestly I don't think buying DVD's is a waste of time, unless of course you buy them, watch them once and then never touch them again. People who do that annoy me, because it kinda defeats the point of buying it.

Yeah...
forpolarbears
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I buy DVDs if I can't find them for rent, or if I completely love the movie.

But, I can't decide right now if I want to buy one...I liked the movie, but its slightly too long, so I don't know how often I'd be inclined to watch it.

I'm buying my mom "March of the Penguins," and for how long a movie it is, it is really expensive.

I tend to buy TV series DVDs then movies. I don't have a very long attention span. (Erg, New Who is another rip off, for how many episodes it is, it's 33% more than Lost, which has 9 more episodes..)
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i thought this thread was gonna be about HD-DVD/Blue Ray...

Anyway, I would say most people buy dvd's for their own personal collection, a collection of films they already enjoy. Fanatics may buy stuff they've never seen (e.g anime, film buffs etc) but i dont think most people do this.
~CAROLINE~
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
About 75% of the dvds i own i bought after id seen them before but others i just buy from word of mouth or because my friends are too straight laced and wont go and see them at the cinema with me! But there are occasions when i think oh that looks good or i buy them for a course, if they turn out awful i can sell them on Ebay/Amazon so its fine.
gemby!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i am expert bargain dvd/ cd hunter. so yes i buy dvds but only when cheap so i know i get my moneys worth
Rach87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Pav27)
Rather than good director?
Well a good director helps but they can only work with what they are given so if the idea/the actors suck then there isn't much the director can do to make it good.
Bigfooty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for your opinions guys! :elefant:
I think I will stick to really reading up about movies or see them at the cinema before buying - unless of course they are in the sales going cheap
nic88
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ive just bought the pride and prejudice dvd for £7 from hmv and i know i wanted to buy it cos my mum had borrowed it from her friend. so if i can, from now on, i'll be borrowing then buying. i think my mums friend had seen it at the cinema so thats how she will have known she liked it
Platinum Mech
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I usually only buy DVDs if I'm pretty certain I'll actually like them. But most of the time, I buy them used and cheap anyway, so I can always just sell them on Ebay if they really are completely rubbish.
mattwilson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=silent ninja]i thought this thread was gonna be about HD-DVD/Blue Ray...
QUOTE]

me too, nevertheless I think buying DVDs is great, much better than how it was with videos and far more value for money because of Special Features.

I mostly buy my DVDs 2nd hand from places like CEX or GAMESTATION. I play them on my computer that has a 19" screen, 5.1 speakers and will eventualy get DTS on my PowerDVD so as you can tell I'm already a bit of a home cinema freak student.

I don't often buy films I haven't seen before. I do if I have a good feeling about the film or if its really cheap.

Check out my DVD collection here www.memimi.8m.com/custom.html
I got the 2 disk ultimate edition of The Living Daylights this morning :P wooh!
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I usually rent them if I haven't seen them (how can you argue with 3 for £5 at Blockbuster?).
mattwilson
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
I usually rent them if I haven't seen them (how can you argue with 3 for £5 at Blockbuster?).
I've never rented DVDs before though my brother does. I prefer owning them, I guess its that feeling.
atomheartbrother
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Someone previously mentioned HD-DVD and Blu-Ray technology. It is for these reasons that I have now stopped buying DVD's and will currently only rent.

I see it as another case similar to that of replacing VHS with DVD so I've decided instead to wait for either of the two aforementioned technologies to come to the masses. I've no idea which one will win the battle.

I own about 70 DVD's which have seen substantial use so I'm happy with what I've got out of them. I've certainly got value for money anyway.

To answer the thread question directly, no I don't think buying them is a waste of time but the advice I've listened to is to wait for the next development. I think that then it'll be fairly safe to buy again. Of course, I'll inevitably replace many of the films in my collection.

Like one of your examples though, I wouldn't generally buy a DVD in the past unless I'd seen it first or knew it to have a good reputation. I have also occasionally bought a DVD through recommendation.
Changeling
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I usually buy dvds if a movie is recommended by a friend, or if it sounds like I'll like the plot from reading reviews etc. I have been dissapointed once or twice but if you get peoples opinions then it should normally be alright.
BandanaDan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I barely ever buy DVDs from shops these days.

I always get them online
www.play.com <-- nice, reliable, inexpensive
www.hmv.co.uk <-- can use student discounts

On the rare occasion I do, I go to Music Zone. DVDs are always nice and cheap, £3 - £18 for a DVD is usually my budgets.

I only ever buy DVDs I know I will enjoy, either I've seen it in cinema, reviews, word of mouth, or I downloaded it and wanted to support the industry.

About about HD-DVDs and Bluray... they wont influence my decision yet. I wont own a HD-DVD or Bluray set up for at least another 6 or so years and with current developments I'm happy.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (146)
18.32%
No (485)
60.85%
Not really bothered about them (166)
20.83%

Watched Threads