The UK is 90% White, I don't think equals "MultiCultural" atleast like "America" Watch

Beyoncstan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just IMO I must say but I see so many people here complain about the " changing" face of Britain and they typically live in London which is very diverse but not really a suprise being one of the world's major cities. However when you look at demographics as a whole you see a very different picture. Overall the UK is 89-90% Anglo. thus only 10% percent of the nation's population is minority. I think many have taken London and applied those stats to the entire country which is wrong because outside of London, England is still very much WHITE! Compare this to a real Multiracial society, There are multiple cities in just about every U.S State that are diverse especially cities with atleast 100,000 people.

In comparison to the United States, which is only 63%% White, and a grand total of 37% of the population is non white.

Whites-220 Million
Blacks 40 Million+
Latinos 50 Million
Natives 2 million
Asians15 Million
Mutli-racial-20 Million....

These are rough estimates because there are so many mixed blood people in America people fit several categorizes

Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
White genocide is upon us, lock your doors and windows. Trust nobody.
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Culture is not the same thing as ethnicity. There is no one singular white culture.
Beyoncstan
Rep:
?
This is what I think is mixing in the UK and why it's hard to say outside of London it's a multiracial society...

I am from Atlanta , GA!

Atlanta Metro is home to 5.5 Million People. The City is only the 40th largest city in America by population but the 9th largest Metro Area. SO Atlanta is very much a average size city compared to Houston, NYC, L.A, Chicago , Philly etc...

Here are the demographics of Atlanta...

African American-54%
White-38%
Asian-5%
Hispanic 10%
Foreign born-8%

That equals a city with a majority minority population and this is duplicated throughout the country. I don't think outside of London in the UK, you see such statistics in major\mid size cities.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
cos I'm drivin down rodeo with a shotgun/
these people ain't seen a dark skinned man since their grandfather bought one/
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Beyoncstan)
I think many have taken London and applied those stats to the entire country which is wrong because outside of London, England is still very much WHITE!
lol you do realise there are other cities outside of London in the UK? There is a higher percentage of white people in London than in Birmingham or Leicester.
Fizzel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As said race does not equal culture. It can be 100% white and multicultural because Eastern Europeans have a different culture to Brits, in the same way a non white group would have. Then again, there are plenty of 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants who have no difference in culture to a white Brit. The US has a greater variation in racial demographics but that doesn't always translate into cultural differences.

That said 35% of kids being born in the UK now identify as something other than White British. So the racial demographics are changing pretty quick. #marchofthemixedraces!
Beyoncstan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fizzel)
As said race does not equal culture. It can be 100% white and multicultural because Eastern Europeans have a different culture to Brits, in the same way a non white group would have. Then again, there are plenty of 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants who have no difference in culture to a white Brit. The US has a greater variation in racial demographics but that doesn't always translate into cultural differences.

That said 35% of kids being born in the UK now identify as something other than White British. So the racial demographics are changing pretty quick. #marchofthemixedraces!
There are White peopel from every European country in the United States. I don't understand your point.
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's amazing. I thought "she can't be right, the ethnic diversity must be more than that" so looked up the figures and damn if you're not dead on. Cheers, genuinely learnt something today.
Fizzel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Beyoncstan)
There are White peopel from every European country in the United States. I don't understand your point.
Irish Americans and Italian Americans who's families came to America in the 20/30's are far more culturally homogenous than Eastern European immigrants who arrived in Britain in 2000's. Same with black, plenty of black American's have been in the US since slavery, Black Caribbean's in the UK arrived in 50-70's, and black Africans like Somali's often far more recent 2000's. The point being the same ethnic statistics are not a direct measure of cultural variation as you are using them.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A lot of immigration to the UK happens from within the eu, so even though the majority of the UK's population is white, a lot of these people aren't british. Also, why are you surprised that most of the population is white anyway? Britain is a country in northern Europe. Obviously white people won't be a minority. The US' whole history is based upon immigration, and the 'natives' of the country aren't white; whereas british natives are. You can't compare the two.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads