Does hugging sometimes make you uncomfortable?

Watch
Toaster Leavings
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Perhaps I can blame this on emotionally absent parents since I never received a hug off my father in my life and rarely my mother, but I really dislike being on the receiving end of hugs unless they are being given by close friends or family (well, limited family in my case).

In particular I find it annoying when colleagues decide hugging is a good idea. It's not that I am averse to having friendships at work and I generally get on pretty well with people (despite private reservations a lot of the time). I seem to be hugworthy too as I often attract this kind of behaviour, but it typically happens if I'm leaving a workplace or department for good. I find myself resenting being female because male colleagues go in for a business handshake but females, however senior, insist on hugging me. If I was male it would be handshakes regardless of their gender.

It happens sometimes with acquaintances too i.e. people you barely know, or even just met, insisting on hugging you...

Am I just a cold *****? Does anyone else dislike over-familiar hugging? I don't really pull it off as I just stiffen and awkwardly pat their back until they remove themselves. :/
username1445222
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm the same, I don't like the over familiarity people sometimes get. I don't mind hugging close friends or family but everything else is bleh. I think I have intimacy issues because I don't even like hand holding and comforting other people is just plain awkward for me so I just end up awkwardly patting somewhere usually their shoulder. But I get where you're coming from, I don't think you're a cold *****, you just have a bubble that you'd prefer some people not to invade

Posted from TSR Mobile
platosbesty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I totally feel you. My parents are exactly the same. So I find hugging really awkward. It does depend who though like my really close friends I'm fine but my mum and dad have all these friends and they just expect me to hug them when they hug me and I just don't even know what is happening so I go all stiff and don't reciprocate and then they just think I'm some kind of stuck up *****.

I've actually never really liked hugging come to think of it. It's quite a strange concept isn't it?
RHyoudon'kno
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I cried when my dad hugged me. :cry2:
FoxOnAMission
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dont like hugging my dad because i have big boobs and i dont want him to feel them on his chest eww.
Huskaris
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Funnily enough I don't find hugging guys at all awkward (I'm straight and a guy) but I find hugging girls that I am not in a relationship with or very, very close with difficult. It just feels like there's so many things to watch out for, so many possible things to get called up on.

Hugging a guy is easier haha.
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you should just accept the hugs, they certainly don't mean you any harm. They're meant to be a nice gesture, remember.
Heimdall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This reminded me of a hilarious thing which happened in my high school.

It was the end of term and I was with my friends, a girl from our class went to one of the guys she liked as a friend and said his name and put her arms out as if she was about to hug him, he just put his hand out, all of my friends laughed and to this day (if I remember correctly) she's never asked him for a hug again.

:rofl:
Ashtwe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I completely agree with you! Hugging makes me feel very uncomfortable. But, surprisingly, I'm in a family which has loved me since the day I was born and they're okay with me not liking hugs, but faintly hurt. It's weird because I really don't like it at all whereas my sister loves hugging me.
everything1177
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like hugging certain people, but with most it's very uncomfortable for me. My friends hug me all the time, and I just sort of stand there feeling awkward
ladymarshmallow
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, me too! It depends but it mostly makes me feel awkward and I tend to stiffen up especially when there's umm boob contact involved.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nah I love hugs unless they are from some total stranger who just randomly walks up to me and starts hugging me, that is pretty creepy unless we are both drunk maybe lol.
Heimdall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It makes me feel really awkward unless it's really close family or my very close friends. I don't like hugging people I don't know that well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nooo!!! There's nothing better then a good hug
MidnightDream
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Love hugs, don't even care who from :laugh:
Never feel awkward :yep:
Badshah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It really depends who I'm hugging tbh.
A321
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends who it is, but generally I'm not really a hugging kind of person.
10614LW
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I love hugs
Safiya122
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Depends who it is.
Maid Marian
Report 7 years ago
I love hugs off friends, but the thought of hugging my family .. neh, makes me feel uncomfortable and vulnerable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads