The Student Room Group

2016 Medicine Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by JAIYEKO
It is

So you agree with me then good :smile:
Reply 81
FYI- most medical schools only look at your top 8 GCSEs as they are aware that some people will have more than others. Leicester (if I remember correctly) only look at your top 6 GCSEs- therefore, someone with 20 A*s at GCSE would have no advantage over someone with only 6 A*s at this medical school. Quality over quantity is better IMO :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by joeymr
FYI- most medical schools only look at your top 8 GCSEs as they are aware that some people will have more than others. Leicester (if I remember correctly) only look at your top 6 GCSEs- therefore, someone with 20 A*s at GCSE would have no advantage over someone with only 6 A*s at this medical school. Quality over quantity is better IMO :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is only for minimum requirements, they do not completely disregard your other GCSEs.

I am confused as to why everyone believes that I do not think quality over quantity, I do all I am saying is having a lot of amazing GCSEs is better than having half the amount of amazing GCSEs. There is no way to argue otherwise.
Reply 83
Original post by slg60
This is only for minimum requirements, they do not completely disregard your other GCSEs.

I am confused as to why everyone believes that I do not think quality over quantity, I do all I am saying is having a lot of amazing GCSEs is better than having half the amount of amazing GCSEs. There is no way to argue otherwise.

Actually for most medical schools they do disregard your other GCSEs. Leicester for example purely focus on those top 6 GCSEs and ignore the other ones. Southampton as well, you need 7As at GCSE and the rest of your GCSEs are then ignored.

Do your research before you start correcting me :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by joeymr
Actually for most medical schools they do disregard your other GCSEs. Leicester for example purely focus on those top 6 GCSEs and ignore the other ones. Southampton as well, you need 7As at GCSE and the rest of your GCSEs are then ignored.

Do your research before you start correcting me :smile:

You just repeated what I told you was wrong. You can't attempt to correct me by just repeating what I was was not correct. You are talking about entry requirements, for those yes you are correct ( I acknowledged that). Those universities will one look at your top however many GCSEs to decide whether you can be called for interview. However, those GCSEs are not completely disregarded by ALL universities but by SOME after interview, it can still be part of the selection process for deciding who gets an offer. Although most universities decide purely on the interview.

Furthermore you talk specifically about certain universities like Leicester and Southampton, Cardiff and Bristol are other such universities. However the majority do not disregard additional so please do not make it seem like they do.
:smile:
Reply 85
Original post by slg60
You just repeated what I told you was wrong. You can't attempt to correct me by just repeating what I was was not correct. You are talking about entry requirements, for those yes you are correct ( I acknowledged that). Those universities will one look at your top however many GCSEs to decide whether you can be called for interview. However, those GCSEs are not completely disregarded by ALL universities but by SOME after interview, it can still be part of the selection process for deciding who gets an offer. Although most universities decide purely on the interview.

Furthermore you talk specifically about certain universities like Leicester and Southampton, Cardiff and Bristol are other such universities. However the majority do not disregard additional so please do not make it seem like they do.
:smile:

Lol you are so naive
Reply 86
Original post by joeymr
Lol you are so naive

How so? the evidence is here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

For the record saying that does not make you correct...
Reply 87
can little or no A*'s be compensated by A's at GCSE?
Moi is :smile:
Have you guys planned in advance what universities you're considering to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by Elhamm
Have you guys planned in advance what universities you're considering to apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Newcastle.... Manchester..... Bart's and London..... Nottingham
Original post by LukeyJB
Graduate entry 2016 reporting in.

Grad entry too! How's work experience, grades etc going ?
Original post by letsbehonest
Exactly.

The ukcat is way more important. You can practically guarantee yourself interviews if you ace it. My best friend got ABBC at AS but managed to do really well in the ukcat and is off to Kings!

Ofc you need to meet the minimum grade requirements but still just goes to show that they aren't that important

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks this has definately made me feel a lot better about academics like AS seeing as all i am hearing is that they are extremely difficult
Reply 93
Original post by tkhombs
Newcastle.... Manchester..... Bart's and London..... Nottingham

More or less the same, Newcastle, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield/Leeds/Southampton/Leicester.
Original post by letsbehonest
Exactly.

The ukcat is way more important. You can practically guarantee yourself interviews if you ace it. My best friend got ABBC at AS but managed to do really well in the ukcat and is off to Kings!

Ofc you need to meet the minimum grade requirements but still just goes to show that they aren't that important

Posted from TSR Mobile

They must have got better grades in A2 that perhaps outweighed the AS grades?
Original post by Flowerpower12

Just finished first year, done some work exp 2 years back when I was thinking of applying as an undergrad, going to start it all again in September
Original post by Flowerpower12

Fellow grad entry over here! :smile:
When are you guys planning to start revising for your UKCAT/BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking about starting work experience but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I tried calling Imperial College Healthcare's work experience number but I got a message saying to call on working days haha. I'm just gonna chill/research and call again on Monday.

Also, the process of getting into med school sounds very daunting. I need to get a good batch of GCSE's, work really hard for AS/A2, do some volunteering/work experience, write a kickass personal statement, revise for BMAT/UKCAT, research about med schools/interviews, stress myself out etc. These next 2 years are going to be pretty interesting.
Hi guys,

I just finished my first year at UCL and I remember being all over this forum last year when I was applying. My account got hacked so I've made a new one to get in touch with new people again.

The best advice I can give you is to plan early. Get your UKCAT/BMAT books and courses booked now. Do you personal statement this month. I got an interview everywhere I applied (UCL, Imperial, Kings and Bristol). Also, make sure you have work experience and volunteer work before you apply!

If any of you have questions, feel free to msg me :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending