The Student Room Group

Is anyone else terrified of starting Alevels?

Is anyone terrified about starting Alevels? Personally I'm really worried I'll pick subjects that I'll hate and fail miserably.

Scroll to see replies

At least you're not doing IB.
In all seriousness though, what subjects did you choose & what's causing you anxiety?
terrified! what u talking bout OP! I;m currently sitting my A level exams and tbh they are going good! nothing to be terrified its just like gcse's! :smile:
Reply 4
Yup scared!
Enjoy the summer before a levels. And you need to do a lot more for a levels than for gcses
Reply 6
I'm in my final year at college and currently doing my final A Levels.

I can assure you, you'll be fine. At first it will be a huge leap. There is a massive leap between GCSEs and A LEVELS. However, you will get adjusted if you let yourself. You've just got to have the right state of mind. Keep on top of your work. Organise yourself well. Make sure you concentrate and work hard in first year because so many people mess up in first year and have to do a billion retakes in second year. Make sure you've chosen subjects that YOU want to do. Some people's parents pick their subjects for them which is ridiculous. It's your life so do what ever you want!

You'll be fine! Don't be scared. Enjoy your two years!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
You should be, it's horrible
Original post by tg0896
At first it will be a huge leap. There is a massive leap between GCSEs and A LEVELS.

I don't think it's as pronounced for some subjects as others, tbh. English lit and French I found to be very straight-forward, for instance.
Original post by Катя
I don't think it's as pronounced for some subjects as others, tbh. English lit and French I found to be very straight-forward, for instance.

Agree with this, much the same in Geography. Sciences are the one where everything steps up big time to be honest.
Reply 10
Original post by Катя

Yeah I agree. I'd presume choosing a subject that you've done previously in school wouldn't be as much as a huge leap as picking a subject that you've never done before. But regardless, there is a difference at GCSE and A Level! :smile:
Original post by amelimoo
Personally I'm really worried I'll pick subjects that I'll hate and fail miserably.

I had the exact same fears when I started, I was terrified that the subjects I'd picked were far too hard for me and I'd basically be crying every night.

It's normal to be nervous, especially as sixth formers like to exaggerate. It's a big change to what you're used to, but there's really nothing to be worried about. If you hate your subjects, you can always change and drop them. If you fail, you can retake the year (many people do, and it's nothing to be ashamed of). Your first term/two terms will be difficult, because you're adjusting, but before you know it you're nearly finished with your AS exams and you're about to start A2.

Good luck! What a-levels have you chosen?
Surprisingly enough, I'm actually kind of looking forward to it :lol:
I don't even know which A-Levels I'm going to do yet:')
Deciding between Further Maths, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and English Lit gah
Going to essentially repeat what someone else has already said but there really isn't that much to worry about. I also had anxieties as I was aware that A-levels were a huge step up from GCSEs, especially after seeing my older brother struggle with them. The thing is people tend to exaggerate the workload from GCSE to A-level, and yes there is more work to do but you're likely going to have more free time to do it in. You need to get into the right mindset at the beginning of the year and write extra notes, do extra reading etc. so that you're absorbing knowledge properly and revision coming up to exams isn't too stressful. Personally I started quite early and wrote extra notes from textbooks for subjects like history, even though I knew that my teacher wasn't going to check them.

At the beginning you may feel that you're struggling with subjects and that you hate them, but I'd take a bit of time to try and get used to it before dropping it- it was very tempting for me to drop French at the beginning of the year as I felt like I was bad at it, but I pushed through it and it turns out I'm actually pretty good. Still, if you really don't like a subject and it makes you miserable there is always the option to drop it.

Hope this puts you a bit more at ease. :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by loperdoper
I had the exact same fears when I started, I was terrified that the subjects I'd picked were far too hard for me and I'd basically be crying every night.

It's normal to be nervous, especially as sixth formers like to exaggerate. It's a big change to what you're used to, but there's really nothing to be worried about. If you hate your subjects, you can always change and drop them. If you fail, you can retake the year (many people do, and it's nothing to be ashamed of). Your first term/two terms will be difficult, because you're adjusting, but before you know it you're nearly finished with your AS exams and you're about to start A2.

Good luck! What a-levels have you chosen?

Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Geography.

I'm worried because I enjoy every one of my subjects at GCSE except health and social care and physics so it's been really hard for me to pick subjects. Also I'm one of very few people that are taking 4 Alevels and I don't want to disappoint anyone.

What subjects are you studying?
Reply 16
Original post by Катя
In all seriousness though, what subjects did you choose & what's causing you anxiety?

I chose Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Geography. I'm worried that I'll disappoint people and I'm one of the very few people at my school who's in a position to take 4 Alevels as I go to a low performing school and I don't want to mess it up or end up doing subjects I will hate.
Original post by amelimoo
I chose Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Geography. I'm worried that I'll disappoint people and I'm one of the very few people at my school who's in a position to take 4 Alevels as I go to a low performing school and I don't want to mess it up or end up doing subjects I will hate.

Trust me, I doubt anyone cares very much. :tongue:

Those sound like great A-levels, I hope you enjoy them!
Reply 18
Original post by Claros
Going to essentially repeat what someone else has already said but there really isn't that much to worry about. I also had anxieties as I was aware that A-levels were a huge step up from GCSEs, especially after seeing my older brother struggle with them. The thing is people tend to exaggerate the workload from GCSE to A-level, and yes there is more work to do but you're likely going to have more free time to do it in. You need to get into the right mindset at the beginning of the year and write extra notes, do extra reading etc. so that you're absorbing knowledge properly and revision coming up to exams isn't too stressful. Personally I started quite early and wrote extra notes from textbooks for subjects like history, even though I knew that my teacher wasn't going to check them.

At the beginning you may feel that you're struggling with subjects and that you hate them, but I'd take a bit of time to try and get used to it before dropping it- it was very tempting for me to drop French at the beginning of the year as I felt like I was bad at it, but I pushed through it and it turns out I'm actually pretty good. Still, if you really don't like a subject and it makes you miserable there is always the option to drop it.

Hope this puts you a bit more at ease. :smile:

Okay Thank You so much!! You've really helped me put things into perspective for me.
Reply 19
Original post by Катя
Trust me, I doubt anyone cares very much. :tongue:

Those sound like great A-levels, I hope you enjoy them!

I know but I want to do well because my school is literally so much more supportive of me than my own family is so I want to do well and give something back.

And thank you I hope so!

Quick Reply