Windows services (wuauserv) help Watch

benplumley
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Whenever I start my computer, wuauserv (Windows Update Service) takes far longer to start than any other service (running into 3-4 minutes or more sometimes). I always assumed it was natural but I was just in event viewer and I came across an error that occurs every single time I start my computer. Details:
Spoiler:
Show
Log Name: SystemSource: Service Control Manager
Date: 04/06/2014 22:26:03
Event ID: 7022
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: HAL
Description:
The Windows Update service hung on starting.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7022</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-06-04T21:26:03.957214700Z" />
<EventRecordID>158332</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="912" ThreadID="4260" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>HAL</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">Windows Update</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

So I did some digging, I came across this fix, ran it, restarted, got the same error. I ran sfc /scannow and got this, essentially that there were no errors.
Spoiler:
Show
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

BITS is set to Automatic start and wuauserv is set to Automatic (delayed), as recommended by the handful of Google results for the error. I've basically reached the end of the relevant advice with no progress to show.

Is there anyone who's seen this before or knows what it's about and can help?
Windows 7 SP1 64 bit
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Try running the Fix It on this page. That's my usual go-to place for Windows Update issues.
benplumley
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikeyd85)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Try running the Fix It on this page. That's my usual go-to place for Windows Update issues.
OP, second paragraph.

I changed it from Automatic (delayed) to Automatic and it seems to have fixed the problem for now. The service takes about ten seconds to start rather than three minutes, but I've only had a couple of restarts to test it. I had scripts that assumed wuauserv would be the last thing to start, I'm going to have to rewrite those now :mad:
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by benplumley)
OP, second paragraph.

I changed it from Automatic (delayed) to Automatic and it seems to have fixed the problem for now. The service takes about ten seconds to start rather than three minutes, but I've only had a couple of restarts to test it. I had scripts that assumed wuauserv would be the last thing to start, I'm going to have to rewrite those now :mad:
Didn't spot the link in there.

What kind of scripts you running?
benplumley
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikeyd85)
Didn't spot the link in there.

What kind of scripts you running?
It's a VB console app that waits until wuauserv is running then connects to my NAS drive, because if it try to connect too early, the drive would still be spinning up and the connection would fail. I also just use it as a way of telling me the computer has finished logging me on, ie there are no more 'starting' services.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by benplumley)
It's a VB console app that waits until wuauserv is running then connects to my NAS drive, because if it try to connect too early, the drive would still be spinning up and the connection would fail. I also just use it as a way of telling me the computer has finished logging me on, ie there are no more 'starting' services.
Shouldn't be too hard to recode that I'd guess.

You could just upgrade your HDD to an SSD, then your PC is finished booting when you are logged on
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (21)
14.09%
Yes - a food allergy (14)
9.4%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (4)
2.68%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (6)
4.03%
No (104)
69.8%

Watched Threads