kaycana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So I was wondering how the sperm and egg cells are created. Is it by meiosis or mitosis?

I thought it is mitosis because it makes new cells for growth and repair but I was wrong. It's actually meiosis.
Can someone please explain why this is?

Thanks.
kastiel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Gametes are made through Meiosis! They divide so a haploid nucleus is formed (one with half the amount of genetic material). Normal body cells have all of the genetic material.

The half amount genetic material will create the full amount of chromosomes when the egg and sperm cell fuse together, allowing a child to grow.
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kaycana)
So I was wondering how the sperm and egg cells are created. Is it by meiosis or mitosis?

I thought it is mitosis because it makes new cells for growth and repair but I was wrong. It's actually meiosis.
Can someone please explain why this is?

Thanks.
Your normal body cell, which divides by mitosis, has 46 chromosomes. Imagine if two such chromosomes combined, the resultant would have 92 chromosomes. This would lead to problems and won't be normal at all.
Meiosis is called reduction division for a reason; it decreases the no. of chromosomes in daughter cells to half the original no. In our case, this would be 23. Now if two such cells combine, they would give rise to a cell with 46 chromosomes, which is perfectly normal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (86)
26.22%
England (110)
33.54%
Belgium (27)
8.23%
Germany (39)
11.89%
Spain (6)
1.83%