Turn on thread page Beta

1st Year doesnt count towards your degree...get in!! PARTY! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Ive jus finished my 1st yr at UWIC, i had the most amazin time cant w8 2 get bak now!! yay not long!

N e wayz, jus 2 let u lil freshers no, if u didnt already (cos i didnt till i got there!) tht YOUR 1st YEAR DOES NOT COUNT TOWARDS YOUR DEGREE - this = lisence 2 P.A.R.T.Y!!!

Which means u can totally doss about n jus pass ur modules (40%!!) cos as long as u pass the yr u got a free ticket 2 yr 2!! i did pretty well in most of my modules (get in 2:1 4 the yr!!) and yet i was still havin the most amazin time!!

just get out there and have a laugh cos i can gurantee that if your an anti social greebo then ull hav n 1 2 live wit 2nd yr!!

Crack on if ur the quiet type, but remember, ur the 1 thts gotta make the effort wen it comes 2 makin friends, there all about, jus grab urself a few!!

1st yr is party yr....expect lots of random nights involving shopping trollies, tramps, chippy alley (if ur in the fab cardiff!!) and kippin on random's floors!

And 2 all u lucky souls gracing the streets of cardiff, ill c u all there (USUALLY FOUND PROPPIN UP THE BAR IN RISA WIT A BUNCH OF SEXY ASS GIRLYZ!)

Take care!!

xlx

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni - some places do have a first year that counts... Some places it's as much as 15%, so can be the difference between a 2.2 and a 1st!

ReputationRep:
    my first year counted (in terms of final degree marks) 0%.

but

my first year counted (in terms of showing lecturers and tutors ability, determination and potential; in terms of actually learning stuff that will be very useful for the second and third years; in terms of setting myself some sort of academic benchmark which must be maintained and improved) 100%

p.s. i found it entirely possible, if not beneficial, to party and drink nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    As much as i love the idea of the 1st year not counting toward the overall outcome of your degree, i think for me ( language student ) it would be really stupid to waste a full year partying and not studying.

Even if the 1st year doesn't count towards your grade i think not studying in the first year would seriously damage your overall grade

I'm sure there's time to party hard and study!

ReputationRep:
    My first year didn't count either, so whilst I did a fair amount of partying I made sure I got my work in on time etc. Gets you on the good side of the lecturers:p: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Depends on the uni - some places do have a first year that counts... Some places it's as much as 15%, so can be the difference between a 2.2 and a 1st!
    Or, you know, having to pass compulsory exams in order to be allowed to be a doctor

ReputationRep:
    wat about cardiff univ??
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have no idea how you got accepted to university; you clearly don't belong there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more adventurous)
    I have no idea how you got accepted to university; you clearly don't belong there.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    I would comment on the OP but unfortunately I can't read "idiot"!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.A.M.O.N.E.S)
    wat about cardiff univ??
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more adventurous)
    that's what i was thinking.

if you dossed around that much then you're sure to have a really hard time in your second year.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly Cardiff University doesn't teach its students any basic grammar or spelling. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My first year didnt count toward my degree but I had to pass in order to continue, and a good performance also makes me more desirable to employers for my sandwich year (apparently)..

so its not all parties, i had several 'friends' who went out all the time and would stay up all night to write essays - a lot of them have had to re sit, re do the year or just dropped out altogether

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gt123)
    Clearly Cardiff University doesn't teach its students any basic grammar or spelling. :rolleyes:
    She's not at the uni - she's at the Institute (the old poly)... UWIC = University of Wales Institute, Cardiff...

ReputationRep:
    I can have friends and work hard to get good grades, which the way I see it is the reason I'm going to uni. I'm going to work hard for a distinction in my foundation year and top grades in my degree, including my first year which may not count towards the final grade but it will count to me!

If people are planning to "doss" then what's the point of going to uni? Just get yourself a full time job and let people who will not abuse their offer have your place :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    First year may not count as much as the further years but it will give you an insight of what the following years will be like and gives you the basic fundementals of what you will be studying in Year 2 and 3.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the course and Uni. I had friends doing Law who's first year modules do make a difference (just as an example, I know there are more courses). Plus if you don't do the work in first year, you may find second year a lot harder.

Yes party in your first year, that's what it's for, but just don't neglect your work as you my regret it later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BexTait)
    It depends on the course and Uni. I had friends doing Law who's first year modules do make a difference (just as an example, I know there are more courses). Plus if you don't do the work in first year, you may find second year a lot harder.

Yes party in your first year, that's what it's for, but just don't neglect your work as you my regret it later.
    My first year didn't count towards my actual degree, but I needed to list my first year transcripts when applying for vacation schemes in the 2nd year, which then affected whether or not I got a training contract, which basically means whether or not I got to be a lawyer.

Point being, for some degrees, your first year marks are still vital, even if they don't directly affect your degree classification.

ReputationRep:
    yay, good point. out of interest (for i plan to do some vacation schemes then law training contracts etc), how did applying for vacation schemes go? it is a case of getting 1 offer per 1000 applications?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.