The Student Room Group

Statistics - S1

Probability - what a load of fun (sarcasm), Anyways - how do I tell the difference between a Union and intersection question? because some of these questions are very vague and hard to interpret the meaning (or is that me being an idiot? - perhaps)

I.e. -
The probability an adult has blue eyes is 0.27 and probability they have blonde hair is 0.35. The probability that the adult will have blonde hair or blue eyes or both is 0.45. The adult is randomly selected. Find the probability that the Adult has

a) blonde hair and blue eyes. Does this and mean P (B n E) - ? because of the and
b) blonde hair but not blue eyes. - What does this mean P (B u E') - ? because of the but not? I don't know someone please explain this to me please..

Key: Let B = Blonde hair, and E = Blue eyes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cool-Light
Probability - what a load of fun (sarcasm), Anyways - how do I tell the difference between a Union and intersection question? because some of these questions are very vague and hard to interpret the meaning (or is that me being an idiot? - perhaps)

I.e. -
The probability an adult has blue eyes is 0.27 and probability they have blonde hair is 0.35. The probability that the adult will have blonde hair or blue eyes or both is 0.45. The adult is randomly selected. Find the probability that the Adult has

a) blonde hair and blue eyes. Does this and mean P (B n E) - ? because of the and
b) blonde hair but not blue eyes. - What does this mean P (B u E') - ? because of the but not? I don't know someone please explain this to me please..

Key: Let B = Blonde hair, and E = Blue eyes.

And implies intersection, Or implies union
P(BE)P(B \cap E') means blonde hair and not blue eyed. i.e. shaded area in diagram
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by brianeverit
And implies intersection, Or implies union
P(BE)P(B \cup E') means blonde hair and not blue eyed. i.e. shaded area in diagram

Isn't that P (B n E')?
Original post by Super199
Isn't that P (B n E')?

Of course. A silly slip. I have edited it.

Quick Reply

Latest