Mentioning your postgrad uni/programme's undergrad (UCAS) entry standards on CV?

Watch
Qwertt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

My postgrad uni's entry standards are top 3 in the UK in my particular field. This is based on UCAS data (i.e. students entering bachelor's degrees), but as far as I know an entry standards ranking does not exist for master's students. Does such a ranking exist?

I will apply for jobs abroad, where relatively few people know the UK education system. Would it be considered misleading or otherwise inappropriate for me to mention in my CV to employers that My postgrad uni's entry standards are top 3 in the UK in my particular field my postgrad uni's entry standards are top 3 in the UK in my particular field? Would you put this on your CV if you were in my situation?

Perhaps I should talk to university advisers about this.

Regards
Qwertt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Such as saying on my CV: '[My postgrad university's] entry standards for [my field, without mentioning MSc or BSc] are top 3 in the UK]'. And obviously mentioning the source.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be honest I wouldn't, people will be more interested in what you actually did in your degree than the entry standards and it just seems like a waste of what is very limited space.
Tasha1986
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Honestly, I wouldn't bother. Even where the UK system isn't particularly well understood everyone knows that there is a difference between getting in somewhere and performing well once you're there. If they want to know more about the ranking or prestige of your postgrad institution they can (and probably will if it's that important to them) look it up. Putting on your CV, for me, seems a little unprofessional/immature/try-hard.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Naff. Very naff.

Any sensible employer will know exactly what your University name signifies, if anything. So don't make yourself a prat by mentioning UCAS grades or rankings.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.

The undergraduate entry standards are completely irrelevant to postgraduate entry/courses. Shoehorning the A levels someone needs to do the course below your qualification into a CV makes you look desperate and confused.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely terrible idea. Like mentioning you know a famous person.
poohat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
To be honest I wouldn't, people will be more interested in what you actually did in your degree than the entry standards and it just seems like a waste of what is very limited space.
Disagree, when I look at CVs, insitutional quality matters a lot, especially if you dont have top grades (and many others feel the same). If you come from a country that doesnt have well known universities then mentioning how good the university is will save me 30 seconds googling for national rankings.

The problem is that if the university is bad overall, but happens to be great in your particular subject area, then I'm probably not going to learn that via my brief google search. So its perhaps not a bad idea to mention on your covering letter than its actually good in your area. However talking about A-level entry admission standards is a bit weird, and it would be better to quote some league table or similar imo. Yeah, it makes you look a bit insecure and tryhard, but ultimate its better to look like an insecure tryhard graduate from a respected university than a secure graduate from an unrespected one.

Thats just my opinion though, other people may view it differently and maybe some recruiter will mentally mark you down for mentioning it. Its very hard to give advice on matters like this because everyone is different, so how can you predict what a particular recruiter is going to think when they see it?
username474976
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by poohat)
Disagree, when I look at CVs, insitutional quality matters a lot, especially if you dont have top grades (and many others feel the same). If you come from a country that doesnt have well known universities then mentioning how good the university is will save me 30 seconds googling for national rankings.

The problem is that if the university is bad overall, but happens to be great in your particular subject area, then I'm probably not going to learn that via my brief google search. So its perhaps not a bad idea to mention on your covering letter than its actually good in your area. However talking about A-level entry admission standards is a bit weird, and it would be better to quote some league table or similar imo. Yeah, it makes you look a bit insecure and tryhard, but ultimate its better to look like an insecure tryhard graduate from a respected university than a secure graduate from an unrespected one.

Thats just my opinion though, other people may view it differently and maybe some recruiter will mentally mark you down for mentioning it. Its very hard to give advice on matters like this because everyone is different, so how can you predict what a particular recruiter is going to think when they see it?
You must recruit for a very small and frankly inefficient company if you will believe whatever statistic applicants write on their CV - hasn't this thread just proved that they may be false as the OP is planning to lie? It seems very odd that you will accept their word for it without checking. Even more odd is that a statistic as meaningless as that will actually impress you. University name typically plays a tiny part in graduate recruitment bar a couple of select careers. The majority of the top 100 graduate employers simply do not care.

To answer the OP - don't lie on your CV and just let your achievements do the talking, not some trivial statistic which is irrelevant and looks desperate.
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I also would not. I wouldn't even if the stats for postgrad is available.

There is a lot of much more meaningful use of that space - for example, the title and maybe a short description of your postgrad degree that shows your specialization and interest, or even courses taken (more important for PG than UG, because PG courses show more specialized knowledge).

Those kind of statistics don't mean much, and employers know it, too. I am sure there are totally clueless Cambridge graduates, too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (143)
14.39%
I'm not sure (42)
4.23%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (297)
29.88%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.62%
I'm not a current university student (486)
48.89%

Watched Threads