What do you wish you were taught in History?

Watch
browndruidess
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Simple really, are there any interesting/shocking/enlightening areas of history you wished could have been taught in school. Any figures that deserve a place in the vandalised textbooks of our classrooms? Or any facts that would have surprised your younger self?

I'll start; I wish I had been taught about the internment of Asian-Americans during WW2 and Octavian for a start.
Masoudy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Islamic states from the 8th till the 15th century (obvious bias)

The fall of Grenada and Constantinople and the simultaneous discovery of the Americas in the 15th century as it is 'the turning point' of history
browndruidess
Rep:
?
(Original post by Masoudy)
Islamic states from the 8th till the 15th century (obvious bias)

The fall of Grenada and Constantinople and the simultaneous discovery of the Americas in the 15th century as it is 'the turning point' of history
I managed to learn about Islamic medicine and explorers such as Ibn Batuta when I was in school. Wish they's expanded upon that.

BTW you are absolutely right about Constantinople, bit of a headache but worth it!
forfrosne
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd have liked to have been taught about the British empire. All we ever did was insanely boring WW2 stuff, and I wasn't switched on to the capitalism vs communism thing when we did the Cold War so that stuff went mostly over my head.
imtelling
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Charles 'the hammer' Martel and the battle of Tours.

Martel saved Western Europe from Islamic conquest in the 8th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Martel
midnight phoenix
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
American history (slavery, witches)
ancient history we oly really did a bit im junior school (I think) but more depth would've been interesting
Possibly more to do with famous murders like jack the ripper although we had a massive project on him in yr 9 which was actually the best
And history that was interesting but wasn't really "mainstream" like we haven't really ever been taught asian history apart from Russia and they count as Europe so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badshah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would have liked to learn about Pakistan-India separation.
battycatlady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stuff about the Chinese dynasty.

Some American stuff- like the witch trials and the civil war.

How Australia developed.
browndruidess
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roger1)
I would have liked to learn about Pakistan-India separation.
Same, a lot of people don't understand how monumental that was and how it affected/affects hundreds of millions of people to this day.
mazigh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
less about the entire indian subcontinent that place is just one big mess and entirely inconsequential
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Imperial Japan . . . And Ancient Egypt . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by browndruidess)
I'll start; I wish I had been taught about the internment of Asian-Americans during WW2 and Octavian for a start.
Could you justify these choices? Octavian/Augustus was certainly a major historical figure, but the internment of "Asian-Americans" (they didn't intern the Chinese, who were their allies!) seems like a much more obscure bit of history with few long term consequences, so I'm interested why those two specifically.
TheDreadedDuck
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
English civil war

I only did up to GCSE History, but we did so much on AMERICAN civil rights but nothing on the ENGLISH civil war...

Ugh, and all that crap about Jack the Ripper!!!! What effect has he had on, well, anything!?
Badshah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by browndruidess)
Same, a lot of people don't understand how monumental that was and how it affected/affects hundreds of millions of people to this day.
Yeah, all I ever learnt was the world wars and Henry VIII. As a Pakistani, I would have loved to learn about the partition of India.
TheVth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ancient Egypt would have been great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badshah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
French and American revolution.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Life of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
Cherx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OTTOMAN EMPIRE :awesome:

Tired of learning about the Holocaust again and again and again. Literally.
LouiseDB42
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would have loved the french revolution or the Spanish civil war but I think medieval Britain would have topped them both!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
zKlown
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The truth
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (92)
38.33%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (26)
10.83%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.5%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.75%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.5%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.08%

Watched Threads