The Student Room Group

Matrix Notation

Am I right in saying that with a column or row matrix, I underline what I define it as and any other sized matrix, I have to double-underline?
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
Am I right in saying that with a column or row matrix, I underline what I define it as and any other sized matrix, I have to double-underline?

It doesn't really matter whether you underline the letter, as long as you make sure not to get confused. If you're starting out with vectors and matrices, this is a good convention (I find double-underlining matrices quite cumbersome, but it can help). As you get more advanced, you'll find that people stop underlining matrices at all, and then that people stop underlining vectors at all (because it's usually clear from context what is a vector and what isn't).

However, you should always feel free to make sure that your notation is clear - I still underline vectors etc when I feel it might be easier to read!
I've certainly never heard of double underlining (for anything math related, I think!). I use capital letters for matrices, single letters for vectors. Will underline vectors in applied type scenarios but not generally in pure ones.

<ObContext: I would generally be working in a post-A-level context>

Quick Reply

Latest