woods96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
I have as my firm choice to go to do Psychology at Strathclyde this year. However, I have heard off of many people I know dropping out and hating the course. So, I might phone up to change my firm to Stirling Uni's Sociology & Psychology course. Does anyone have any advice? Or positive aspects of this course? Help!
PhillipsCurve213
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by woods96)
Hi,
I have as my firm choice to go to do Psychology at Strathclyde this year. However, I have heard off of many people I know dropping out and hating the course. So, I might phone up to change my firm to Stirling Uni's Sociology & Psychology course. Does anyone have any advice? Or positive aspects of this course? Help!

Hey

I know a couple of mates who are doing [email protected] as a degree and as electives. I personally am doing Business so can't comment on the course specifically that much, but can give you some insight.

Firstly, I assume that Strathclyde is higher than Stirling in most league rankings so i think going to Strath would be the most logical choice, unless there's some amazing appeal that Stirling has...

Regarding if you would like the course, only you can answer that yourself. Have you had any previous experience? have you done Higher Psychology, that should give you a feel of what further study in psychology is like.

At strath you would be admitted to the BA degree so that would allow you to pick two other subjects along with Psychology, this would give you more choice and an extra year to see if you would like the course, Not sure if they do this at Stirling. You get 3 contact hours per subject.

Strathclyde ha a few accreditation's on their Psychology degree too, so that would help with employabilty.

Here is an extract from the 1st Year Psychology handbook, to give you an idea of what 1st year Psychology at Strath entails:

Studying first year psychology: First semester

Psychology is a diverse and fascinating topic, and the first Psychology module, called by the friendly name of C8 105, is designed to reflect this. The C8 105 class is intended as a stimulating introduction to the topic of Psychology. The class aims to introduce students to some key findings, theories, and debates in general contemporary psychology in key areas of the subject. In addition the class provides students who opt to continue with Psychology with an introduction to a number of specific areas of study within psychology, which are dealt with in more depth in second, third, and fourth year classes.

C8 105 runs in six modules:

• Learning Theory
  • Personality
  • Biological Psychology
  • Sensation and Perception
  • Applied Psychology
  • A single lecture looking more closely at the case of Psychopathy

C8 105 is complemented by a second module, C8 106, which runs in the second semester. If you plan to continue on to second year Psychology you should take C8 105 in the first semester and C8 106 in the second semester. Students applying to take second year Psychology are required to take both classes.
Looking ahead: Second semester

C8 106, the second Psychology module runs in the second semester. C8 106 is designed to introduce students to four new topics within the subject. The C8 106 class, which follows from the C8 105 class, is a continuation of the introduction began in C8 105 to the topic of Psychology. The class, in keeping with the aims of the preceding C8 105, aims to introduce students to more key findings, theories, and debates in general contemporary psychology.
The C8 106 class also runs in four main modules:

• Developmental Psychology
  • Cognitive Psychology
  • Social Psychology
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Additionally, a lecture – Introduction to Psychological Research Methods, will be given.
  • Studying first year psychology: First semester

Psychology is a diverse and fascinating topic, and the first Psychology module, called by the friendly name of C8 105, is designed to reflect this. The C8 105 class is intended as a stimulating introduction to the topic of Psychology. The class aims to introduce students to some key findings, theories, and debates in general contemporary psychology in key areas of the subject. In addition the class provides students who opt to continue with Psychology with an introduction to a number of specific areas of study within psychology, which are dealt with in more depth in second, third, and fourth year classes.
    C8 105 runs in six modules: · Learning Theory
    · Personality
    · Biological Psychology
    · Sensation and Perception
    · Applied Psychology
    · A single lecture looking more closely at the case of Psychopathy

C8 105 is complemented by a second module, C8 106, which runs in the second semester. If you plan to continue on to second year Psychology you should take C8 105 in the first semester and C8 106 in the second semester. Students applying to take second year Psychology are required to take both classes. Looking ahead: Second semester

C8 106, the second Psychology module runs in the second semester. C8 106 is designed to introduce students to four new topics within the subject. The C8 106 class, which follows from the C8 105 class, is a continuation of the introduction began in C8 105 to the topic of Psychology. The class, in keeping with the aims of the preceding C8 105, aims to introduce students to more key findings, theories, and debates in general contemporary psychology. The C8 106 class also runs in four main modules: · Developmental Psychology
    · Cognitive Psychology
    · Social Psychology
    · Abnormal Psychology
    · Additionally, a lecture – Introduction to Psychological Research Methods, will be given.

All the best and Good Luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (189)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.32%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (119)
9.76%
Isolating with family (85)
6.97%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.86%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (105)
8.61%
Loneliness (118)
9.68%
Financial worries (52)
4.27%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
9.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.3%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (106)
8.7%

Watched Threads